Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I recognize that palm is a small company and have accepted that. Here's my wish list:
    Better/More API's (camera -> canvas, microphone) I'd like to see a lot of media interaction, that is palm extending html5 media api's.
    This is more interesting to me than a new device.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Heh, all this just sounds like a merger isnt in the works. Call me skeptical, I guess.
    I got your image leaks...right here buddy! And look, someone is testing it too, and he seems to LOVE IT!!!

http://www.edukidz.com/store/media/P...rdAPhone-f.jpg
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Heh, all this just sounds like a merger isnt in the works. Call me skeptical, I guess.

Yeah because nobody wants them! That's the hard truth and why Palm are having to make these "We want to remain an independent company" sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    I got your image leaks...right here buddy! And look, someone is testing it too, and he seems to LOVE IT!!!

http://www.edukidz.com/store/media/P...rdAPhone-f.jpg
    I'll take 10
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Rubinstein quote "palmwas working fast and furious on new handsets"

That could mean a couple different things, either next gen hardware is done or just talking about pre,pre+,pixi and pixi+. Any one notice that?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Rubinstein quote "palmwas working fast and furious on new handsets"

That could mean a couple different things, either next gen hardware is done or just talking about pre,pre+,pixi and pixi+. Any one notice that?
    The "was" is not part of the quote, it's British English, it means the same in that context as "is".
    Nobody is saying "thats a cool phone" @ the Pre anymore. Palm better come up with something new soon and before the launch of Evo.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The "was" is not part of the quote, it's British English, it means the same in that context as "is".
    LOL, Well shame on those brits, "was" and "is" is not the same as was....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Meant exactly what I said. They were destined to shut down. They did not. I might buy into your "expert" opinion if/when you name the products you've sold millions of. You haven't. I stand by what I said. In spite of what mistakes he's made, hels done far more for Palm than to Palm.
    Welp, according our "expert" Herb, Palm has turned it around. Ruby deserves a bonus and we can all live happily ever after.

BTW..i'm not even sure why i went to college. Hardly any of the professors there had sold millions of a product. The nerve of them to grant me an MBA and expect me to buy into what they were saying.

Let's start a subforum to talk further about this. You've had to been successful selling millions of a product in order to be taken seriously. Herb is welcome because that criteria doesn't apply to him. BTW..know all the particulars before posting. That doesn't apply to Herb either.

Afterwards, we can discuss politics, religion, and race relations. Herb will moderate after he sets the criteria for everyone else.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I really wish this man would stop speaking.
    Of course he will tell the press that every thing's coming up roses, when in reality the floor is about to collapse from under him. Typical corporate bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Welp, according our "expert" Herb, Palm has turned it around. Ruby deserves a bonus and we can all live happily ever after.

BTW..i'm not even sure why i went to college. Hardly any of the professors there had sold millions of a product. The nerve of them to grant me an MBA and expect me to buy into what they were saying.

Let's start a subforum to talk further about this. You've had to been successful selling millions of a product in order to be taken seriously. Herb is welcome because that criteria doesn't apply to him. BTW..know all the particulars before posting. That doesn't apply to Herb either.

Afterwards, we can discuss politics, religion, and race relations. Herb will moderate after he sets the criteria for everyone else.
    +800000, which is probably what Ruby prays quarterly sellthrough will be in his wildest dreams.

But let's hail the "successful" Pre and Pixi and Ruby's amazing turnaround where they can't even sell as many WebOS devices as they did Palm OS ones the same quarter the year before, when that platform was at it's nadir.

As long as the lights are still on, he's a success! Nevermind the likes of HTC, Radio Shack and DataViz publicly turning their noses up...that happens to ALL the successful platforms and companies.
    funny how people complain about a compenent CEO in Rubenstien always coming forward and telling how it is. If he thinks Verizon dropped the ball, not pushing the pre because they were poorly trained then thats still his opinion wether wrong or right. Yours is yours too, but I give him credit in challenging companies like Verizon directly as opposed to saying Oh well I guess we didnt sell that many as we were supposed to. Me personally as I stated in the begining when he took over Palm, having experiance in bringing Apple from the brinks of death (yes he did that), and even if he dosent with Palm I believe in this man because hes not afraid of critizism or short comings. Sometimes I feel some people on here have never had shortcomings or bad days. Rubenistein to me is a realist, and understands this is not a overnight turnaround for a company that started this touchscreen business. Those who choose to support him completely through all the adversity out there, through all the anaylist saying dead in the water company, through all the woes and rocky situations Palms going through will be rewarded with devices, and a company that listens to its customers (as he has look at all the updates he has sent out and trys everytime to hit the problems that are out there). As I stated before If you are not happy with a company struggling to get to the top, then I advice you to go to a company like Apple, or Google who has already made it through what Palm is going through now. I for one am not and support Palm wether they sink or swim, because I for one believe in this company completely.
    Palm is selling phones on Sprint and Verizon (people love a BOGO bargain...me included) and it may not be the numbers we see referenced by Apple but they are selling.

Why do people think these numbers have to be in the millions/year to be a success?

I'm just happy Ruby is getting the word out and hoping for some new insight from the developers conference.

We'll see... Sorli...
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ur really stretching it with that radio shack and htc reference.

Are all ur post on this forum online arguments?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    funny how people complain about a compenent CEO in Rubenstien always coming forward and telling how it is. If he thinks Verizon dropped the ball, not pushing the pre because they were poorly trained then thats still his opinion wether wrong or right. Yours is yours too, but I give him credit in challenging companies like Verizon directly as opposed to saying Oh well I guess we didnt sell that many as we were supposed to. Me personally as I stated in the begining when he took over Palm, having experiance in bringing Apple from the brinks of death (yes he did that), and even if he dosent with Palm I believe in this man because hes not afraid of critizism or short comings. Sometimes I feel some people on here have never had shortcomings or bad days. Rubenistein to me is a realist, and understands this is not a overnight turnaround for a company that started this touchscreen business. Those who choose to support him completely through all the adversity out there, through all the anaylist saying dead in the water company, through all the woes and rocky situations Palms going through will be rewarded with devices, and a company that listens to its customers (as he has look at all the updates he has sent out and trys everytime to hit the problems that are out there). As I stated before If you are not happy with a company struggling to get to the top, then I advice you to go to a company like Apple, or Google who has already made it through what Palm is going through now. I for one am not and support Palm wether they sink or swim, because I for one believe in this company completely.
    Annnnnnd here we go.

This isn't a religion. "Belief" is worthless in the context of this discussion. I supported Palm with the purchase of my Pre. I supported them again by purchasing another one cheap secondhand when I switched to the HTC Hero (I switch between the two devices at will now). I even purchased two of the recently-on-sale $.99 games. As far as Jon Rubinstein is concerned, that is the type of support that means the most to him and his company. Promises of devotion in some forum do nothing to help Palm. Buying their devices and services does.

Beyond that, he runs a company that I want to see do better so that the value and life of this device and OS is extended as much as possible. When I see him making moves or statements that are contrary to those purposes, I will always express displeasure. Loving or believing in something does not mean withholding criticism or realistic observations. It's the difference between patriotism and jingoism. If you or anyone else wants to take a jingoist/"Love it or leave it!" stance with Palm, have at it. I'll have no part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    ur really stretching it with that radio shack and htc reference.

Are all ur post on this forum online arguments?
    Stretching what? The fact is that Palm has been rebuffed publicly by some fairly significant companies rather recently. One's a retailer. One's a developer. One was a possible partner. We don't even need to talk about how they're being treated by the carriers. That's rejection at pretty much every level of the smartphone ecosystem. Now, add in their financials, and you have pretty explicit indication of where things are going.

As for sure signs that we can see that things are going well to offset that, we have Rubinstein saying that Verizon sales have improved with no further qualification.

Yeah...let's go with the CEO spin and ignore the rest.
    Last edited by mikah912; 04/23/2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Stretching what? The fact is that Palm has been rebuffed publicly by some fairly significant companies rather recently. One's a retailer. One's a developer. One was a possible partner. We don't even need to talk about how they're being treated by the carriers. That's rejection at pretty much every level of the smartphone ecosystem. Now, add in their financials, and you have pretty explicit indication of where things are going.

As for sure signs that we can see that things are going well to offset that, we have Rubinstein saying that Verizon sales have improved with no further qualification.

Yeah...let's go with the CEO spin and ignore the rest.
    you do realize all the htc buyout talk is just rumors right? trying to use a rumor as a fact shows how far you're willing to bend the truth. it's a very dirty style of debating. i think you care about internet arguments too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    you do realize all the htc buyout talk is just rumors right? trying to use a rumor as a fact shows how far you're willing to bend the truth. it's a very dirty style of debating. i think you care about internet arguments too much.
    UPDATE 2-Lenovo emerges as leading candidate for Palm -sources | Reuters

HTC (2498.TW), the world's No. 5 smartphone brand and one name associated with a possible offer, was approached about making a bid but decided to pass after reviewing Palm's books, a source with direct knowledge of the situation said.

"There just weren't enough synergies to take the deal forward," said the source, who declined to be identified because the talks were private.
    I guess Reuters, one of the most reputable news services on the planet, is just pulling it out their posterior, eh? It's a truth-bending conspiracy! I guess Palm didn't approach them either...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Turned it around? Uh, haven't WebOS sales dropped every quarter since launch? That's pretty much the same direction they were headed in before, but he managed - to his genuine credit - to get a legitimately modern and capable product to market. That's an achievement, not a turnaround. Most decisions since then have been responsible for the same faltering direction as before:

- Horrible advertising
    - Creating a second, comparatively-gimped handset to be the equivalent of the Centro without realizing that market segment didn't really exist anymore since competition was so furious that top-tier handsets like iPhone 3G and The HTC Hero would be in the same price range as "junior versions".
    - Not completing the SDK - even 10 months after launch, APIs are still missing for developers
    - Not launching the PDK in a timely fashion
    - Failure-prone design of the Pre and - to some degree - the Pre Plus (e.g. horrible placement of the USB port, problematic battery compartment, too small/weak battery, flimsy power button, etc., etc.)

That's about six more mistakes than a company in their precarious position can afford to make.

He can keep making excuses about Verizon employees being "poorly trained", but the fact is they were well-trained...to sell the Droid. They did this to the exclusion of ALL other smartphones, not just the Pre Plus. They slighted the Imagio. They slighted Blackberries. They slighted the Omnia 2. Palm needed to sell the Pre with effective advertising and defining of the benefits of WebOS. They never did. That's their responsibility. Verizon's responsibility is to get people to sign contracts.
    Mikah, this is one of the best, and truest critiques of Mr. Rubinsteins's tenure at palm I have read on the net yet. I often find myself having a more optimistic view of palm than you (especially in regards to the future) but man, you nailed it.

Mr Rubenstein had the company turned around, from a tech standpoint, but sales have not held up to date, and to call it a complete turn-around, that will need to change. sure the stock isn't November of 08 bad, but its not good, its volitile and held aloft by hopes of a buyout.

I would go Rubinstein one further.
    Rubinstein is responsible for stopping the massive hemorrhaging that was quickly going to kill palm. however, they are still loosing blood, and need to learn from there mistakes and make a new handset if they want to survive.

the only thing I don't agree with on your list are the complaints about battery compartment/usb port (I don't think they are comparatively a problem), and actually believe that the battery covers use as an innovative and hassle free inductive charger is a great thing that he has overseen.
    There are four lights.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast