1.    #1  
    When Apple releases a product or feature, that pretty much legitimizes it as a standard. Gizmodo's scoop of the year with the iPhone4 prototype/engineering sample pretty much exposes what to expect next in smartphones: High rez screens, multi mics and forward facing video confrence cameras. This is going to be the standard for 2011...evidence in the HTC Evo.

Cisco has always been into telepresence, video and ANYTHING over IP. What better platform than a 4G smartphone than to get them into this new market....about to be legitimized by Apple and HTC. Gee...know of any smartphone or handheld device companies up for sale?
    An inappropriate way of saying it but I would imagine so
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Except that Palm has demonstrated none of these technologies. If anything, this highlights how difficult it will be for a small company like Palm to compete in this arena. The problem for these non-smartphone technology companies is that integrating their technology with Palms would probably be a two-year effort which would probably be an eternity.
    and what makes you think they won't?
    <<thread title renamed>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Except that Palm has demonstrated none of these technologies. If anything, this highlights how difficult it will be for a small company like Palm to compete in this arena. The problem for these non-smartphone technology companies is that integrating their technology with Palms would probably be a two-year effort which would probably be an eternity.
    But Cisco if far from a small company with enough resources to buy palms 30 times over. And while yes, any major enfluence from Cisco may take 2 years for a fully intergrated Palm/Cisco phone to be released, Palm with Cisco's resources (cash) could do alot in a very short time.
    I'm sure other people here have read that Dell or HP might be the most optimal buyer for Palm. Unfortunately, Palm's coolness is drowned out by the volume of smartphones out there. If people were to see more Palm, they'd probably get a bigger marketshare, but you can't easily oust the mainstays of Blackberry and iPhone, and now you have Droid phones coming out the wazoo. Palm's problem is one timing. It came out too late with the Pre.
    I'd love to see a company like Nokia buy out Palm so Palm can have a wider reach and dominate the phone market with their products. From what I've seen of the developer kit, the Pre is poised to explode with awesome apps, if people would think it's a profitable venture to do so.
  8.    #8  
    Palm needs to come to the table with these features or they will further slip....might as well just tighten the noose. I assume they will and will want to 'keep up with the Jones' especially if they want to look attractive to a potential buyer/investor.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nbajumpshot View Post
    I'm sure other people here have read that Dell or HP might be the most optimal buyer for Palm. Unfortunately, Palm's coolness is drowned out by the volume of smartphones out there. If people were to see more Palm, they'd probably get a bigger marketshare, but you can't easily oust the mainstays of Blackberry and iPhone, and now you have Droid phones coming out the wazoo. Palm's problem is one timing. It came out too late with the Pre.
    And since it's become clear in the last day that Dell has pumped a lot of time and money into developing both Windows 7 and Android phones I think we can strike them from this list...