Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    With all the new laws about to go into effect here in Maryland involving cell phone usage, and the fact that Palm has no plans to add voice activation (Palm has never had this with previous versions of their phones) as part of their WebOS, and with the lack of applications that I am looking for, I am afraid that my days with Palm are numbered.

I've had the phone since July of 2009 and have been patiently waiting for applications that are currently available with the Android phones (HTC Hero and new HTC coming out later this summer) and sadly none of them have been ported over and no news of these applications being in development.

It has been widely reported by some consumer groups that Palm is indeed floundering financially and have been trying to generate appeal with some recent marketing and advertizing campaigns.

I am trying to hold out for some hope over the next few months to see if there are going to be applications that I am looking for. If I do not see any improvement, I will have to look at other options. I'm sure that there have been others that have expressed their disappointment with the progress or lack thereof. Some more eloquent then others.
    There's no mic access for apps like this to be develop unless palm do it they self. And do what I do if you see a cop put your phone in your lap or on speaker
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    yeah it sucks that the pre doesn't have voice dial but i believe that there are some bluetooth headsets that have this function built in that may be something you would want to check into and then of course there is always connecting through your car stereo to talk and just having a launcher page of your most important contacts to select from. That is of course if you want to keep your pre, I can understand some wanting to go the android route(especially with the announcement of the EVO) as I bought the hero for my mom and I'd kill for some of the apps on there but as far as ease of use the pre is by far superior in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    There's no mic access for apps like this to be develop unless palm do it they self. And do what I do if you see a cop put your phone in your lap or on speaker
    I do this.
    I use the new unreleased iphone hd or whatever with dual cameras and have the person I'm conferencing with just give me the heads up while I blog from my phone.
    So get a Bluetooth device to talk hands-free. No biggie. I have a car Bluetooth speakerphone that clips to my visor and has voice dialing on it (it syncs with the Pre's address book and you can use natural phrases like, "Call John Doe's cell," if you'd like - you don't have to program each name, but if it tends to get one wrong or you want to make a nickname for one [i.e. "home", "wife", "dad", etc.] you can record one). It is the Parrot SlimKit or something like that.

I also have a stereo Bluetooth headset that I can use to listen to music or talk on the phone anywhere I go - that doesn't come with voice dial, though, if you want/need that.
    So get a Bluetooth device to talk hands-free. No biggie. I have a car Bluetooth speakerphone that clips to my visor and has voice dialing on it (it syncs with the Pre's address book and you can use natural phrases like, "Call John Doe's cell," if you'd like - you don't have to program each name, but if it tends to get one wrong or you want to make a nickname for one [i.e. "home", "wife", "dad", etc.] you can record one). It is the Parrot SlimKit or something like that.

I also have a stereo Bluetooth headset that I can use to listen to music or talk on the phone anywhere I go - that doesn't come with voice dial, though, if you want/need that.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    You could always just pull over to answer your phone or let the voice mail handle it. I know it's crazy talk, not talking on your cellphone while driving and doing your nails but you'll survive somehow, I guarantee it.

http://media.wwd.com/images/processe...out/zimmer.jpg
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    PC double posted.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I'm from md also and the only thing I have heard of as far as cell phones are concerned is that you can't text while driving. Is there something else about to take afect that I don't know of. If so please tell me.
    it's really sad that there has been virtually no app delvelopment for web os aside from the homebrew community.i was really excited when this phone first came out.now I can't wait till I'm do for an upgrade.the whole just wait the apps will come bit got old real quick.Webos is great for true multi tasking but that's all it's good for.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o0otoxic View Post
    it's really sad that there has been virtually no app delvelopment for web os aside from the homebrew community.i was really excited when this phone first came out.now I can't wait till I'm do for an upgrade.the whole just wait the apps will come bit got old real quick.Webos is great for true multi tasking but that's all it's good for.
    That's harsh man, I've been lov'in the apps we've been getting lately. Big time on the games for me mainly. Maybe not the most main stream apps, but I'm happy
    I wouldn't be so quick to say "Palm has no plans to add voice dialing support." Yes, they have no announced plans to add voice dialing support, but I remember reading that it's been hinted at in files that they're working on it.

Besides, I think the better solution is to just get a new car that has Bluetooth voice dialing support.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Thanks for everyones replies. I do have a bluetooth (Plantronics Voyager Pro) that works well for me, and while I can put the phone in my lap or console and dial in numbers, that is fine for me. I guess my disappointment is with the apps. While the Pre has many good features, it can't quite get off of the dreaded "P" word which is potential. With all due respect to the developers that have been working hard on developing more apps, I feel that this is where the Pre has fallen short of expectation. I do realize that with a new OS, that programming is still relatively new and challenging. While it has been revolutionary and at times competitive with the I-Phone and Android-types, I think this is where it falls short the most. Once again, I have not completely given up on the Pre. I love my Pre for what I can do with it now. I just hope that I could do more with it going forward. The jury is still out for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by o0otoxic View Post
    Do what?? There are currently 2013 apps in the apps catalog. That's almost 200 apps a month.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjschultz1996 View Post
    I'm from md also and the only thing I have heard of as far as cell phones are concerned is that you can't text while driving. Is there something else about to take afect that I don't know of. If so please tell me.
    MD legislature just passed new law, effective 1 Oct, requiring use of hands-free device.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I've enjoyed the ability to use the built-in BT in my Prius. However, I am still amazed at how distracting a phone call is, even with complete hands-free operation. Be warned: talking on the phone while driving is more dangerous than you'd think.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    yeah i'm a bit disappointed in the apps too don't get me wrong there have been some good apps developed and the games are awesome but to be honest i'd like to see more apps like the ones that just about every other phone platform has to offer and has had for quite some time like shazam or document editing thing of that such and I understand it is not the developers that are to blame it is mainly palm, they really dropped the ball on this in my opinion they should have opened this up a LONG time ago and then they may be on par with android and the iphone dont' get me wrong i'm happy with my phone but the patience with palm is starting to wear thin and if they don't get the ball rolling wth some of these developers so that they can develop the apps many have been asking for since the device launched I'll have to start shopping for a new phone and I'm sure I'm not alone in this either.
    "Don't ditch the Pre. Break the law instead!"

Nice.
    We have the same laws in Ontario. There's no way they can actually enforce that alone. This law is more of a "by-product" law (don't know the proper word for it), which means it's usually those laws when you are charged with something bigger (e.g. reckless driving causing deadly accident), then it's tacked on. Otherwise they won't stop you, because it'll easily be fought off in court.

(NOTE: I'm not encouraging holding your phone while driving, in fact I hate those people, almost got into an accident several times, I always use a Bluetooth headset)

Honestly I don't know how your post went from talking about voice dialing to Palm tanking, two unrelated things. And your point about previous Palm phones not having voice dialing, untrue. My Centro has it, and you can even call up apps with it. Unless you were talking about previous webOS versions.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast