1.    #1  
    http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/show..._soon_7135.htm

I'm willing to forgo the Treo's builtin keyboard for this (offers a full-size folding keyboard as an option anyways)...

IMO, the best smartphone to date!
    Its CDMA version(( is not there GSM version??

Zo
  3.    #3  
    I've never seen a Kyocera GSM phone. I wouldn't count on seeing one anytime soon but if this device sells really, really well, maybe Kyocera will consider making a GSM version. I wouldn't bet on it though...
    It looks great (and a big step up from the Kyocera 6035, which was great 18 months ago), but without a built-in keyboard, it's not so useful for e-mail.

Let's hope this announcement will push Handspring and Sprint to (finally) make the Treo 300 available.
    This is a NICE looking phone with lots of goodies; trimode, mp3 player, voice memos, expansion slot, voice dial. But can you see an alarm text or shut off an alarm without opening? How about dialing without opening? Is that an expansion slot on the top or a text display? jogwheel? Who knows?
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    This is a nice device..much better that the Samsung BlueChip that was leaked last week. But this device wont be available until the fourth quarter!!! By then, its competitors might come out with something even better.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by j762538
    This is a NICE looking phone with lots of goodies; trimode, mp3 player, voice memos, expansion slot, voice dial. But can you see an alarm text or shut off an alarm without opening? How about dialing without opening? Is that an expansion slot on the top or a text display? jogwheel? Who knows?
    As per the press release, the 7135 has an external LCD on the top of the device like the Samsung I300 so you can simply look down at the device resting on your side and see who is calling or that you have a new message waiting. I'm sure with the appropriate headset, you will be able to utilize the 7135's voice-activated dialing using an earpiece avoiding the need to open up the device to place a voice call. The SD expansion slot is on the side of the 7135.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by yardie
    This is a nice device..much better that the Samsung BlueChip that was leaked last week. But this device wont be available until the fourth quarter!!! By then, its competitors might come out with something even better.
    I hope so. If someone can top this device in the not too distant future, I welcome it. More choices the better...
    Will be nice to have a phone with dialing keypad you can feel instead of being forced to look at the screen when dialing - this is one of the features that led to my retiring my Treo in the first place. Besides, my new Motorola 270C uses voice dialing so the keys are not so important after all!

Kupe
    Thanks for the info, I found some good discussion over at Palminfocenter after my post. Now I have a question on the GPS system. Will the user be able to find out where he is on a map or is it only transmitted to emergency services for them to see where the caller is?
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    Very nice, lots of the cool stuff I like BUT no keyboard. After being spoiled by the Treo... it must have a keyboard for me, I'm not going back.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Keyboard versus Graffitti ---

I find both a pain in the **** to use. So do I want "keyboard thumbs" aka "game controller thumbs" or do I want to play "where the $&#* is my stylus" with a rowdy round of "how the $&#* do I make an "x"". Since massive amounts of data entry on a handheld is really only for geeks with taped glasses it becomes a rather moot point. Really I am waiting for someone to brag about entering the entire Russian version of "War and Peace", just to see how long it takes.

What it boils down to for me is:

1. Reliability. HS has problems and Kyocer is not available, but the 6035 is getting rave reviews and I have heard of no hardware issues with it.

2. Price. I already have Sprint, so if I have to pay full price for the 300 or the 7135 --- I'll probably wrap my kilt around me self and get the 6035.

3. Compatability. I have an m105 with QuickOffice, ProCalc Mega, AvantGo, and SpalshId. I doubt if those will be problems.

4. Nice. 7135 --- Voice commands and memos. SD slot. External caller ID. 300 --- I'm trying ... unnnnggghhh!!!! Oh Treo Mail (???)

Gary
    The problem is only this is not available with GSM version....only CDMA..

zo
    I don't like the side up and down as two seperate buttons, I like the rocker switch of the Treo much easier to scroll web sites & ebooks and the Kyocera has no "action" button for the side buttons.

And although top lcd for caller ID is a nice idea, I really like having the screen visible through the case on the Treo especially when you are using Picture Caller ID. Sure this is kind of a "novelty" feature, but if you were to use Pic ID on the Kyocera, you'd have to open the phone to see who it is and when you open the phone I assume you have already answered the call.

No speakerphone feature on the Kyocera. OK it's not a crowning feature of the Treo but it is a bonus.

Face grease on the screen... ugh! This one gives me the willies. I like with the Treo that the earpiece is pitched so you don't get your face oil all over the screen.

The GPS is a kind of cool feature on the Kyocera, but it probably isn't full featured like a Garmin & relies on your service provider and isn't really a standalone device.

As some other users mentioned, I also can't live without a keyboard. And there ain't no chance I am going to tote one of those geeky foldable ones.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by dleclair; 06/25/2002 at 10:05 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by dleclair
    No speakerphone feature on the Kyocera. OK it's not a crowning feature of the Treo but it is a bonus.
    The Kyocera 7135 does have a speakerphone as well as voice-activated dialing.
    Originally posted by Marty1781

The Kyocera 7135 does have a speakerphone as well as voice-activated dialing.
    OK they didn't list it as the specs on that page.
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by dleclair
    OK they didn't list it as the specs on that page.
    Actually they did. Check again
    This device looks great. However, I couldn't find any information about SMS. Is it understood that it could handle SMS, either by built-in or third-party software, or is it just not available? It seems pretty standard on most "regular" phones now.
    spoke to a kyro rep at tech expo. the resolution is 160 x 160.

The screen looked smaller than the treo.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Felipe
    The screen looked smaller than the treo.
    IIRC, the screen is the same size as the 6035 and the Palm m1xx series.