1.    #1  
    so I thought I read this somewhere, not sure where, but since I can't find it I heard there were talks of sony buying bidding. This could be huge for a few reasons

1. Sony is a huge, well known brand. Unlike even htc where mostly only tech people really know the name, sony is associated with high quality electronics. Unfortunately it's arsonnol is limited in the mobile feild and they don't really have a mobile os of their own. People would see a sony os as a big deal. Especially with matching good hardware, other features missing (vvm voice recorder) and...

2. Playstation network. This could be a big blow to apple and take away some thunder from wp7. Webos with psn? There are so many cool possibilities such as ps only ports, official emulator, new ps only games, maybe even a remote app for your ps3! LOT of possibilites here!

3. Sony entertainment. With sony entertainment, there could possibly be a good implementation of better media and more potential for things like a vide store on board, among other things.

4. More dev support. More devs would deffinatly cme to an open source platform with this kind of potential.

5. Integration with other sony products. Sony could make it awesome by adding support for some srt of intigration with it's other consumer products.

I could probably list more, but I think this could be big as it would be easier to market due to it's name, it's gaming capabilites, and expertis in media, enetertainment, and sound. Palm could concentrate on fun features, business featres, and phone features whle sony takes over entertainment and media features and hardware. Anyone else believe this to be a smarter match?
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    4. More dev support. More devs would deffinatly cme to an open source platform with this kind of potential.
    They just killed linux on the PS3, Sony is not the biggest fan of open source.
  3.    #3  
    hmm that is true, however if they want to compete on their own os level they would do good by using webos. We'll see how it all works out. Would be very good for palm though, they need a consumer name that rings in peoples heads and some new edge (psn would be a plus for marketing) guess wishfull thinking then?
    Sony killed linux on the Ps3 for 2 reasons. 1. They don't like there stuf hacked. 2. Newer Ps3 don't even support the feature. It would be a great buyout only if they planned on integrating Palm with the ever expanding Ps Network.
  5.    #5  
    that's what I was thinking. It'd give them a leg up on apple as far as gaming, the brand has ALOT more meaning in the public eye and can easily be adopted as the next iphone generation. Think "omg did you get the new sony phone!" the entertainment apps could be revamped, ps network and gaming center, better camera, and palm could focous on the ui and business front, with alittle aid from sony on some design elements they would surely add. I ould see it being a good thing for us, better then htc which is simply a manufacturing cmpany supporting android and wm heavily. Sony doesn't have it's own os that really competes and would be much more viable for one then htc. I'm sure a psp phone has been brought up, but it would only apeal to a certain crowd. Adding a business phone company to an entertainment company can make palms device truly what they wanted, something for everyone with advanced gaming and palm concentrating heavily on productivity and developer relations as well as UI and phone functionality.

just don't want to see palm on a chopping block and the patents swaloed up and thrown into sense ui on android. Just not a fan of android. Not a bad os at all, but for me just not my thing.

wish I ould remember where I saw this article!
    I have dealt with Sony America products in wholesale and retail for over 25 years. They've ALWAYS been like Apple is now. Sony wants 100% total control over their products. They also like to dictate the way the market moves. Don't get me wrong. Sony of Japan and Sony America both make a great product and have class 1 R&D. If they get control of Palm and WebOS , we will not see the openness we have now. We might as well just buy (I can't believe I'm going to say it) an iPhone. At least you can "jailbreak" that.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    1. Sony is a huge, well known brand. Unlike even htc where mostly only tech people really know the name, sony is associated with high quality electronics. Unfortunately it's arsonnol is limited in the mobile feild and they don't really have a mobile os of their own. People would see a sony os as a big deal. Especially with matching good hardware, other features missing (vvm voice recorder) and...
    All very true.

2. Playstation network. This could be a big blow to apple and take away some thunder from wp7. Webos with psn? There are so many cool possibilities such as ps only ports, official emulator, new ps only games, maybe even a remote app for your ps3! LOT of possibilites here!
    Sony could give Apple a run for the money but Sony tends to be a little slower to the plate as of late. There could be great integration but ONLY if Sony does the R&D and sells the product. Sony does not like others making add on parts, software or devices without a BIG cut. They would rather make it themselves instead of allowing someone else. They have always been one of the more protective companies. Try to by any Sony part for repair.

3. Sony entertainment. With sony entertainment, there could possibly be a good implementation of better media and more potential for things like a vide store on board, among other things.
    +1 Big time plus.

Sony would make it more closed source. Developers would still make software/programs but Sony would have a lot more control. We probably will not see the new ideas advance as fast.

When you think of Sony, just think of Apple and you will have a good idea of what it could be like for Palm and Webos.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Plus, just think of it...a Walkman app!!
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    Plus, just think of it...a Walkman app!!
    Great The Phone would be called a Talkman. ugg

We want them!!!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Great The Phone would be called a Talkman. ugg
    lol
  11.    #11  
    didn't realize how closed and apple-like sony is. However I do have an honest question. Themes patches and sideloading aside, looking at android and palm pre vs apple, I see ALOT of big name players on the iphone as well as an app for almost anything from calculators to pizza hut apps, to final fantasy to banking apps so the question is, if iphone has so many big apps and apps for everything, why do both android and palm pre have app stores with so many basic loking apps and not nearly as many functional ones to suffice mass audiences or big names. Can't say as much for android as I've not used it as muc, but when I did, I rarely found what I needed on it, felt like it was not much better then our store with the exception of shazam and barcode reader. Their store is flooded with alot of what ours is + themes. I am curious if it's just because apple is a biger player, or they are paying someone or out longer. Or does having it closed source attract better quality apps?

sorry just trying to understand the process and why we have seen so few big apps other then gameloft and ea. And same for android. Would really like dev oppinions especially!

maybe webos could license to sony and just have a psn exclusive app for webos? Would still help! Curous about what's coming next wish we knew what was going on