Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I was browsing the Palm site today, and noticed that they have some recent job postings. Most notably are two positions posted a couple weeks ago for a Senior Product Design Engineer and a Product Design Engineer. Since the C40 is already in Sprint's systems are we looking at the beginning of the next Pre/Pixi line, or a different product entirely?

    "help lead mechanical design and development of our next generation of smart phones"
  2. #2  
    I hope this is for future hardware outside of c40...i hope c40 is almost done and gettin tested
  3.    #3  
    That's what I would imagine. If the C40 is already in Sprint's systems, I would hope it would be released this winter. The Pre was announced 6 months before it was released, meaning that if the C40 is announced tomorrow we still might be looking at an October release. On the other hand, if the C40 is a placeholder and that's what they're hiring engineers for, we may not see it until next year.
    Last edited by A.Stice; 04/15/2010 at 06:33 PM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    That's what I would imagine. If the C40 is already in Sprint's systems, I would hope it would be released this winter. The Pre was announced 6 months before it was released, meaning that if the C40 is announced tomorrow we still might be looking at an October release. On the other hand, if the C40 is a placeholder and that's what their hiring engineers for, we may not see it until next year.
    no, palm learned their lesson from the 6 months early announcement. They won't be doing that again!
  5. iMando's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #5  
    I don't know who thought of the pre. I never thought it was attractive. the symmetry just wasn't there. A tacky circle that's actually a half round ball that sticks our, but doesn't scroll? confusing and ugly.
    A Curved screen? That is so annoying. I don't know why they did that.


    A USB Charger port in the middle of the phone? are you ****ting me? Do you know how inconvenient that is?

    Inductive back cover sold secretly? It should of been included out the door.

    The only thing the pre got right was the back of the phone (in non-glossy).

    Even the power button was stupidly curved. Beautiful devices have great and contrasting geometry. Not Matching.

    The Pixi was designed way better, too bad they underpowered it and shipped with a screen about 2cm too small.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    That's what I would imagine. If the C40 is already in Sprint's systems, I would hope it would be released this winter. The Pre was announced 6 months before it was released, meaning that if the C40 is announced tomorrow we still might be looking at an October release. On the other hand, if the C40 is a placeholder and that's what they're hiring engineers for, we may not see it until next year.
    There is no way Palm will wait until the winter to release a new device. It needs to be released during this summer...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by iMando View Post
    I don't know who thought of the pre. I never thought it was attractive. the symmetry just wasn't there. A tacky circle that's actually a half round ball that sticks our, but doesn't scroll? confusing and ugly.
    A Curved screen? That is so annoying. I don't know why they did that.


    A USB Charger port in the middle of the phone? are you ****ting me? Do you know how inconvenient that is?

    Inductive back cover sold secretly? It should of been included out the door.

    The only thing the pre got right was the back of the phone (in non-glossy).

    Even the power button was stupidly curved. Beautiful devices have great and contrasting geometry. Not Matching.

    The Pixi was designed way better, too bad they underpowered it and shipped with a screen about 2cm too small.
    Horses for courses...I bought it because I thought it looked really nice.

    I like the LED in the middle when it lights up. And I think it looks distinctive. Could do with being further down maybe, further from the active area.

    The main thing I don't like is the charger port, it is not inconvenient where it is, though yes, why not have it top or bottom , but I hate the little cover, I always feel I am about to break it, it seems flimsy
  8. #8  
    Product designers will do an assortment of things, ranging from initial phone and accessory concept designs to working with the production company before, during and after production to coordinate PALM's concepts with the manufacturing process.

    Not surprised, at all.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    There is no way Palm will wait until the winter to release a new device. It needs to be released during this summer...
    normally I would agree, but Palm also has to avoid getting over shadowed by the Evo and whatever Apple does this summer. It might be smart to drop right after that marketing blitz, but in time for xmas.
  10. #10  
    See below.
    Quote Originally Posted by iMando View Post
    I don't know who thought of the pre. I never thought it was attractive. the symmetry just wasn't there. A tacky circle that's actually a half round ball that sticks our, but doesn't scroll? confusing and ugly.

    Pre Plus lost the middle button. It doesn't scroll because the Pre doesn't need a scroll ball.

    A Curved screen? That is so annoying. I don't know why they did that.

    Couldn't argue, but couldn't really agree either. I'm perfectly fine with the screen other than the fact it's a oil/fingerprint magnet.

    A USB Charger port in the middle of the phone? are you ****ting me? Do you know how inconvenient that is?
    BlackBerries all traditionally have their USB ports on the side and never had problems

    Inductive back cover sold secretly? It should of been included out the door.
    Pre Plus comes standard with the Touchstone cover.
    The only thing the pre got right was the back of the phone (in non-glossy).

    Even the power button was stupidly curved. Beautiful devices have great and contrasting geometry. Not Matching.
    ... and what's the problem with that? It's nicely hidden away.

    The Pixi was designed way better, too bad they underpowered it and shipped with a screen about 2cm too small.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  11. #11  
    Maybe they'll design something besides device photos for AT&T. Sick and tired of waiting.

    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    I was browsing the Palm site today, and noticed that they have some recent job postings. Most notably are two positions posted a couple weeks ago for a Senior Product Design Engineer and a Product Design Engineer. Since the C40 is already in Sprint's systems are we looking at the beginning of the next Pre/Pixi line, or a different product entirely?

    "help lead mechanical design and development of our next generation of smart phones"
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    Most notably are two positions posted a couple weeks ago for a Senior Product Design Engineer and a Product Design Engineer.
    Hey Palm... I'm a product designer... hire me.
    Game over!

Posting Permissions