Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm in the market for a new cell/smart phone, going with Verizon as carrier. I've done my research and am 100% sold on the Pre Plus. Droid is too bulky; Eris and siblings suffer from not being top banana for HTC or Verizon; Iphone is on ATT (nuff sed); blackberry is what I have now and looking for something a little less boring. Also, love that verizon is throwing in the mobile hotspot feature for free now. Its a done deal for me. It wasn't easy finding you, Pre, but I'm sold.

Then comes this news that Palm is exploring its options, so to say. I've got about 2 weeks before I *have* to get a new phone, so I'm thinking about just waiting as long as I can to see how this all unfolds. That is clearly the smart thing to do. Of course, I want to get my hands on a pre like NOW, so waiting it out may take more restraint than a cellphone purchase should.

So, pre owners...knowing what you know about the state of the company and its future, what would you do?
    personally, if palm and webOS dropped off the planet today I'd still be as content as I am with my pre. There's enough patches and apps out now to satisfy anyone (i have 96 between the two). It's a perfect phone for me. And at $49 in-store or $.01 from amazon.com you can't beat it. Plus free mobile hotspot! And 30 days to decide to keep it. I say jump..
    Pull the Trigger ... slowly exhale and squeeze.

No corp. merger is gonna take place in 2 weeks. Jump in the water is fine.
  4. djs
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I am also moving from a Blackberry (Bold 9000) to the pre. Just waiting for it to come to me my mail. I think that jumping in the pre group now is better then having done it at version 1.0. I'll benefit from tons of useful apps, patches and mods. Palm is having trouble? Yup, they have for years now. I'm not really concerned because even if they fall off the face of the earth the community will keep tweaking. The base of WebOS is fantastic and very tweakable. That is more then I can say for the RIM products and they are doing very well financially! Win 7 may be interesting but it will only get that way after about a year. Android for me is really they only other alternative. The pre won because it cost me 0$ whereas a Android phone would have cost me around 600$
    you wont regret it
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The climate around here is pretty scary. If you read enough you would think that Palm is just over, the way of Rio (they made one of the greatest mp3 players ever Rio Karma) they disappeared and took their ideas with them. I just got my Pre less than 2 weeks ago and am a very excited and happy customer.

I don't know if all this gloom and doom talk amounts to anything as far as this particular piece of heaven goes. When my contract is over on 2012 who knows where the smartphone business will be. In the meantime I will enjoy my Palm Pre.

At the most you will be out 50.00 bucks and the money on the plan will be spent regardless. Because of the things you will learn here on PreCentral. This may be the most fun experience you can have with a phone.
    I recently tied myself into a 24 month contract with O2.

Would I do the same now as I did a couple of weeks ago. Yes.

I chose the phone because I liked it as it is, now. It does what I want/need it for. I have a very good deal with my carrier.

In 2/3 months time newer, faster phones will be out. In 8/12 months, even newer faster phones will be out. Should I get the phones that come out in 2/3 months knowing that? You could keep on forever like that (I'm a pc gamer, I've been through all this with graphics cards)

And after all think of the phones that will be out in 2 years!
    Do it! With all of the patching abilities and ease of modding on the Pre, it's so worth it. Even if Palm is going down the tubes, this phone will still be relevant and powerful by the end of this year due to the Homebrew community. In my opinion there literally is no better device on the market, ease of use, personalization, multitasking, hotspot, you just can't beat it at this time. The Pre and community is not going anywhere.. For now.
    You'd regret it if you didn't get a Pre Plus. Palm needs everyone who appreciates and loves this phone to try to sell as many other people as possible on it. Word of mouth IS the best advertising. The hard part about getting them sold is that a person can't buy one when he wants to, only when he's eligible to upgrade. So we need to persuade others and have them chomping at the bit. I ordered it right after midnight on the day I qualified to upgrade. And I don't know how anyone could settle for less, especially less than multitasking and gestures and its perfect size and shape. I DO LOVE MY PRE PLUS!
    I migrated over to Verizon two weeks ago and was thinking if I should jump since I'm within my 20 days return.

When I realized I love how the OS works I decided to stay. Even if Palm never threw out another update I like this phone more than my last two phones. I would just have to lean that GPS isn't everything.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Go ahead, buy it and then you'll have 30 days to decide whether you want to keep it or exchange it for one of the droid flavors. Personally I'm missing shazam and shopsavvy but that's about it.

Coming from BB you might be missing Skype and the incredible battery life. Pre basically needs to be charged every night.

Ps. Apps using camera or microphone are not available on the Pre. Palm did not make them available in their sdk. Bad move on their part, but it is what it is.
  12. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Nope. No way. wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. With the position the company is in, I wouldn't know what to expect as far as support.

This trial for 30 days stuff might be OK if the phone didn't have a track record of problems.

At this point, you would be asking for trouble. Why would any sane person do that.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    What kind of support are you talking about? He is bying the phone from VZW. We know exactly what are the good points and bad points about the phone. We know the amount of apps available. If company sells and is dissolved, the app store is still bringing in more revenue (probably) than it costs to run it so my guess is that whoever owns Palm would keep the store running at least for a year or two. Then you can upgrade to whatever the best phone will be on the market then. What other support do you want? Updates and patches? For what? The only major bug is VZW's fault (the GPS). Everything else works as advertised.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Go to Sprint. If a new Pre comes out they will be the first to get it.
  15. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    What kind of support are you talking about? He is bying the phone from VZW. We know exactly what are the good points and bad points about the phone. We know the amount of apps available. If company sells and is dissolved, the app store is still bringing in more revenue (probably) than it costs to run it so my guess is that whoever owns Palm would keep the store running at least for a year or two. Then you can upgrade to whatever the best phone will be on the market then. What other support do you want? Updates and patches? For what? The only major bug is VZW's fault (the GPS). Everything else works as advertised.
    How about the support (EVERY) carrier points you to when it is not carrier related. How many phones have you purchased over the years? Verizon will only warrant the phone for a limited time and then it goes to - wait for it ... Palm. You know the Palm that is having trouble staying in business right now?

One thing is certain. During your first 30 days, Verizon isn't running out of any replacement Pre+ anytime soon.
    I got my Pre on April 1st, I don't feel fooled at all. I love it.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    How many phones have you purchased over the years?
    You do not want to go there. I've been with VZW back when they were called Bell Atlantic and sold brick phones (before Startac). I never had problems with any of my phones (knock on wood). Still if you had problems to the point that you need replacing the phone you bite the bullet and buy a new one. If it's under warranty then whoever buys Palm assumes warranty liability. You don't think they will just go bankrupt and sell assets to pay off the creditors do you? Not with that IP they have to work with, ain't happening.
    Do it.. use the mifi...and then tweak it if youre into that sorta thing...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I jumped into the pool on 4/10.. pre's for the Mrs and I and we have loved them so far...
    I gave up my Pre in January and am actually going back to it shortly. If you're on Verizon, the current deals make it a great buy. If you're on Sprint, you can also find some pretty good deals. The OS is solid and while the hardware has issues in some cases, I have TEP, so I just get replacements.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast