Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's what happened.

I persuaded a close family friend to get the Pre at Sprint. She went to the Sprint store yesterday and told the rep that she was ready to buy.

The Sprint rep dissuaded her from making the purchase. No, not to push out an Android, but rather to hold out. He said, "You can buy this now, (and its a great phone) or you can hold out until June because that's when the new version of the Pre will hit stores".

Exciting, eh?

I know this could just be a dumb rumor HE heard, but it still excites me a little nevertheless.

It would make sense that Palm is SHUTTING UP about a new phone, because they have to sell all the Pre's and all the Pixi's ASAP, right?
    I really hope it's true. But I don't think Sprint would push a new WebOS device right when their new flagship device (EVO) is coming out. It just doesn't make sense in a business standpoint for them.
    lesson numero uno: rumors heard from phone company reps are usually complete bolshevik
    This signature for rent
    Filing this in the "Hope" folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by emakhanov View Post
    Here's what happened.

I persuaded a close family friend to get the Pre at Sprint. She went to the Sprint store yesterday and told the rep that she was ready to buy.

The Sprint rep dissuaded her from making the purchase. No, not to push out an Android, but rather to hold out. He said, "You can buy this now, (and its a great phone) or you can hold out until June because that's when the new version of the Pre will hit stores".

Exciting, eh?

I know this could just be a dumb rumor HE heard, but it still excites me a little nevertheless.

It would make sense that Palm is SHUTTING UP about a new phone, because they have to sell all the Pre's and all the Pixi's ASAP, right?
    Because there was another thread that talked about some Sprint locations "dropping" the Pre, I hit up Sprint on a chat session today.
    Took forever. They took my questions, then waited almost 20 minutes before responding. My question basically this:
    There's a lot of chatter going around about Sprint dropping the Pre, and ONLY carrying the Pixi. Reportedly, one store was even telling customer that brought back Pres for repair/replacement that they would have to choose another phone. Are these stories true.

As I said, I waited almost 20 minutes before the person in chat got back to me. Her response was that I needed to contact the store to get information.

It could conceivably be a situation where some stores are dropping it, and some aren't yet, but they all will be eventually.

Or, it could be that stores are selling through existing stock, preparing for the replacement.

I suspect the latter.

It's worth noting, the Pre is still on Sprint's web site.
    My wife is eligible for an upgrade now. I'm eligible in June. We are both waiting for the summer - either for the Evo or (hopefully) a cool new Palm phone. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting any new Sprint phone from Palm until the fall.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    I really hope it's true. But I don't think Sprint would push a new WebOS device right when their new flagship device (EVO) is coming out. It just doesn't make sense in a business standpoint for them.
    I suspect we won't be seeing a new WebOS device right away. I suspect a very quiet replacement of the Pre for Sprint with a Pre Plus for Sprint.
    Wow it's amazing how much info those Sprint sales lackeys have available
    Where is the check box for hope and a dream. Hopefully this is true but dropping when the evo hits the stores would be some real bad timing and would probably hurt sales. I think fall would be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Filing this in the "Hope" folder.
    What else you got in that folder?

My guess is that if there is a new device in June, it will be the Plus. If there is a new device after August, it will be the Pre 2.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post

My guess is that if there is a new device in June, it will be the Plus. If there is a new device after August, it will be the Pre 2.
    Yah know, I actually disagree with this. I think that (absent all of this week's craziness) Palm understands that it needs to follow up the Pre with something more significant. It needs to be 4G and it needs to knock some socks off. And we're getting enough independent incidents that something seems to be up.

I'm still thinking we'll see a next-gen device in June on Sprint, with a really short "exclusive" that's really related more to the fact that Verizon and AT&T don't yet have viable LTE networks. The Pre/Pixi will disappear from Sprint, and the Pre+/Pixi+ will remain on other carriers until the next gen device makes it that way.

I just don't think Palm is naive enough to think they can wait to release something new. And if all they do is put the Pre+/Pixi+ in at Sprint to replace the Pre/Pixi, then they'll get simply crushed by the Evo--and they must know that.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    maybe the pre2...
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I agree. The reps in the store near me need instructions to tie their shoes. The idea that they would know something this big (to us, anyway) is suspicious at best for me. And the observations above regarding dropping a new device that close to the Evo are spot on... unless it was an amazing device (fingers crossed!!) they'd get murdered.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Heh heh heh...
    I can't talk about that.

Ok ok...
    It's pizza (I "hope" that the wife isn't cooking tonight, lol).

But i hope that whatever phone Palm releases next changes my mind about leaving them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Heh heh heh...
    I can't talk about that.

Ok ok...
    It's pizza (I "hope" that the wife isn't cooking tonight, lol).

But i hope that whatever phone Palm releases next changes my mind about leaving them.
    Yum... Folder Pizza....

Can't wait for the Pre++
  17.    #17  
    The new phone HAS to be equivalent or better than the Evo. Seriously. I prefer webOS way over Android, but HDMI? 8 MP Cam? 720p HD Video? Get on it, Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yah know, I actually disagree with this. I think that (absent all of this week's craziness) Palm understands that it needs to follow up the Pre with something more significant. It needs to be 4G and it needs to knock some socks off. And we're getting enough independent incidents that something seems to be up.

I'm still thinking we'll see a next-gen device in June on Sprint, with a really short "exclusive" that's really related more to the fact that Verizon and AT&T don't yet have viable LTE networks. The Pre/Pixi will disappear from Sprint, and the Pre+/Pixi+ will remain on other carriers until the next gen device makes it that way.

I just don't think Palm is naive enough to think they can wait to release something new. And if all they do is put the Pre+/Pixi+ in at Sprint to replace the Pre/Pixi, then they'll get simply crushed by the Evo--and they must know that.
    It would be really hard to justify a WiMax Pre 2 when HTC already has the flagship title from Sprint. It could come in as an "also ran", but not in June.

I am still maintaining a dbd style hope folder. I hope you are right.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I guess his persuasive powers were stronger than yours then huh? She could get the phone now and when(if) the sales rep is correct she could upgrade later. Now there is one less Pre owner because the sales rep is dreaming about a new Pre. great!, but that still leaves her preless and unaware of the power that the Pre holds. The current Pre is still the best phone out and waiting til June for a new Pre doesn't make sense.
    P.S.= If this is the Pre website why do I get a spelling error when I spell Pre? Sup with that
    Quote Originally Posted by emakhanov View Post
    Here's what happened.

Exciting, eh?

hahahahahaha... this reminds me of what i use to say when i worked at the sprint store. i told everyone all the way back in February to wait for the pre in june. great job to him, i know his quotas has to be met or exceeding like i used to have, and sprint paid very well enough to have an american express blue card at the age of 20

thank you mytether
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast