Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
    I don't understand why some of you hate the idea of a landscape keyboard/ virtual keyboard combo. The virtual keyboard would come in handy for those who demand to be able to use the device with one hand. + you wouldn't have to open your phone to use universal search. The landscape keyboard would be alot easier to use for input. It's a win-win situation.

I wouldn't worry to much about the coding behind apps having to deal with reorientation, palm has made the OS very friendly to resizing and reorienting applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I don't understand why some of you hate the idea of a landscape keyboard/ virtual keyboard combo. The virtual keyboard would come in handy for those who demand to be able to use the device with one hand. + you wouldn't have to open your phone to use universal search. The landscape keyboard would be alot easier to use for input. It's a win-win situation.

I wouldn't worry to much about the coding behind apps having to deal with reorientation, palm has made the OS very friendly to resizing and reorienting applications.
    you know, origonally I liked the idea of a verticle slider. it makes the phone longer and is good for one handed situations... but. I do love typing long stuff on my pre. 99 percent of all my posts for precentral are on my pre, facebook and everything and I could use something easier to type with quicker. I mean I'm not to bad with the keyboard now but I like the bigger keybaord and having a verticle vkb is good for the times when a verticle keyboard is important (universal search, one handed typing, quick stuff ect) I would not at all be opposed as long as a virtual keyboard existed with haptic feedback.
    idk if its just me but I check this thread everyday in hope of someone posting a link to a leaked palm c40 so i can just see what the device looks like.

i'm to eager, i can't wait any longer it's to exciting!
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    ^^^ hahahaha same here
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdaballa View Post
    idk if its just me but I check this thread everyday in hope of someone posting a link to a leaked palm c40 so i can just see what the device looks like.

you're not alone!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdaballa View Post

at least twice a day, and eventually there will be something, but until then, ill just keep checking...

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Don't get impatient, guys. Neither of the Palm devices are even close to ready yet.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtran51 View Post
    Don't get impatient, guys. Neither of the Palm devices are even close to ready yet.
    They need to be, and fast. HTC already has production phone, and the iPhone 4G is pretty much done.

Now I don't want a sloppy phone with a pre like build quality, but they need this now more than ever. 500 million of cash to burn is nothing when you need to buy hardware, ad campaigns and god knows what else that's required to release a new phone.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    So I contacted this guy ("Jackson") and he reveals the following:

"---Hey Soorma, yess i am lucky enough to be verry much so in the loop involving upcoming Sprint devices. I have a friend that works in an upcoming products dept., he was the guy in the super soinc video with gloves hahaha

The palm C40 is going to be quite the device. Naturally we are talking 4G and flash. The device will be "naturally simple" in harware as the pre, but you won't confuse the 2 phones haha. Bigger screen 1ghz processor and a new "breed" of webOS made exclusively for 4G. If you are a webOS fan this will be your dessert. Late summer/early fall 2010----"

And if you read his other posts, this guy is very, very accurate.

Thanks Jackson!
    Wow. That really sounds great.
    Good for Palm to have some great stuff in the pipeline.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Guys, remember the good old days when the NZ90 came out (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0301/03...clienz90.asp)? Have a little bit more faith, I think Palm will release a device(s), most likely during fall/winter, holiday shopping season.

I hope they get their act together and allocate their limited resources the best they can. It's difficult to compete when Apple/HTC have hundreds of engineers to code APIs, baseband, OS, etc... Palm has like what, no more than 20 engineers? Talk about being an underdog here.
    I think I remember hearing during WiMAX's Sprint - Xohm days that 4G could be imbedded in ANY device, on ANY network, due to low cost & small size of it's chipset.

Do we think that a new WebOS 4G device might be able to launch w/ multiple radios for GSM & CDMA AND have the ability for non Sprint devices to OPT IN to 4G service on the device seperate from their carrier?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I think if Palm doesn't release a device by this spring, it will only hurt them further, especially with the inventory being clearanced from radio shack and other retailers. If the nexus one comes out for sprint soon.......I just may switch due to the pre hardware being so cheap, I have taken good care of my phone but yet the door that covers the usb port broke from wear and tear. I love the design of the pre but not the cheap feel of it. I am a very big palm fan and have loved their phones, but they are behind on the hardware.
    It's so strange how a negative aspect is a positive aspect to another person. I have always hated the USB covers on my phones so I don't miss them when they get lost. Sometimes I even help the process along by ripping off the covers myself. In addition, I have never had problems with my launch day Pre. Pre's in Perfect condition do exist... The only complaint I have is that the screen is now too small since I have gotten used to my iPod Touch as an ebook reader and want to do the same for my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    Guys, remember the good old days when the NZ90 came out ([url]http://forums.precentral.net/ Have a little bit more faith, I think Palm will release a device(s), most likely during fall/winter, holiday shopping season.

I hope they get their act together and allocate their limited resources the best they can. It's difficult to compete when Apple/HTC have hundreds of engineers to code APIs, baseband, OS, etc... Palm has like what, no more than 20 engineers? Talk about being an underdog here.
    yup. And they've done an amazing job with what they have. Ares is simply amazing. They are low on cash, but they need to hire more developers, and maybe start licencing the os to save cash there.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Finally read through the entire thread. I want to add my thoughts on this phantom c40 device. Looking in the past, Palm was never known for their hardware, never the one picking up the latest screen, latest internals, latest CPUs, and latest design trend. Palm designs their hardware and software, and opens the bid to their preferred contract manufacturers. It wasn't until the Pre that Palm really wanted to make a push to come back, and out gunned apple for six months on OMAP3, while apple prepared for their battle plan.

Now with the impending release of WebOS 2.0 or 1.5 in the fall (October), it makes sense this comes with new hardware. Does it make sense to announce it in two months (june/july time frame), I don't think so, the iphone will be in every news channel, blog, magazine, and newspaper up until Apple releases their Ipod refresh.

Will Palm come up with new hardware, yes, will it come up with some ground breaking design, properly not. Will it win over gadget obsessed precentral readers, yes.

Will it win over a non-typical early adopter, in this case, the mass consumer. I don't think so. Palm will need to first expand to Europe and Asia to gain marketshare, and lower the selling price of the Pre in the US to zero dollars, to attract users. Lets face it, Palm can't win US market share in the short term. However, in the long term, if Palm continues to make innovation in WebOS, people will pay more attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    Will Palm come up with new hardware, yes, will it come up with some ground breaking design, properly not. Will it win over gadget obsessed precentral readers, yes.

Will it win over a non-typical early adopter, in this case, the mass consumer. I don't think so...
    If they don't come out with hardware that is at least on par with the Evo, then I'm sorry to say that I'm jumping ship. I know that makes me a fake WebOS groupie, but I don't care. I love WebOS and wish it were on as many phones as Android was. If Palm doesn't release a EVO/Thunder like device then I'll jump ship and hope WebOS gets ported somehow. You probably have better odds of porting WebOS onto an Android device then you do with Palm actually releasing revolutionary hardware.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    You probably have better odds of porting WebOS onto an Android device then you do with Palm actually releasing revolutionary hardware.
    The problem with that scenario is that we need a gesture area. Regarding revolutionary, I would say that the Pre was indeed revolutionary, as well as the Touchstone. Manufacturing could have done a much better job, however.

I would bet that whatever is in the pipeline will surprise as well.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Have we heard any more from the guy in the android forums that knows a guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Have we heard any more from the guy in the android forums that knows a guy?
    I have heard from him several times but the information he has is limited. Lets just all chill and wait for the video leak...I'm guessing coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    I have heard from him several times but the information he has is limited. Lets just all chill and wait for the video leak...I'm guessing coming soon.
    lol.. people chill.. on this forum? HA
    lol

That video can't come soon enough for many