Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32727778798081828384 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1662
    Mr. Sood has already indicated he's going to clarify his tweets in an upcoming blog post. Perhaps we should wait for that before we take what he tweeted to be such portents of doom.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Given the wild speculation about something coming out in days, Rahul's words of caution could quite easily relate to a release in months. He's promised a blog update on the subject, so that should be interesting. And anyway, webOS 2.0 should keep us amused for a while. I'm not going anywhere!

@wynand32 SNAP!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This is going to come close to killing webos. Expected it but was hoping not. People are not going to want to jump between different os for tablet and phone. I imagine eventually they will sync and be identical if you choose. Truly seemless.

android tablets are already out and pnce people are comfortable with android the logical extension is an android phone. Why learn a new os when you have the old one down and got everything you want on it.

I fear no matter what hapens we wil see webos go downhill. Premier sprint memebers are already coming out of contract. Plus imagine how fast you would be looking to flee palm if you werent into homebrew. Which I suspect is a large portion of the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Take what I say with a grain of salt! I told you this! How many times are you going to bring it up? Just because Palm and HP had different directions doesn't mean I'm making it up. Let's see you run a corporation, make deadlines AND merge 2 companies. GL.
    Hey NitOxYs - Just sent you a PM... look forward to hearing from you. thanks.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I can't take my Sprint Pre anymore!!! Even overclocking I get the TMC error as I always have 8-10 apps open for business. Once I get into apps like YouView (which I love and need), web pages and the camera for example (all very basic apps) my overclocked Pre gives me the TMC error.

I'd gladly wait if Sprint had the Pre Plus! Gladly! But of course that isn't happening either. So I'm going to Sprint today, giving my Pre (Minus) to my 15 yr old and getting an EVO 4g for myself. This sucks for me and for Palm. I love webOS and my Pre form factor. I've just had it with laggy performance and the TMC errors!!! I've removed the uber kernal and gone back to the f104 kernel (less stable but better performance) which removes the TMC error altogether but, unfortunately, doesn't do much for laggy performance once you get a certain combination of cards open.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Not only would I shut up and quit moaning if I had double the RAM, I'd also shut up if I had double the storage. I've had it with only having 1/4 of my music collection on my phone so I can make room for the 200+ apps I've paid for (and yes I've paid for 200+ apps--another reason this pains me).

So C40... Roadrunner... Sprint Pre Plus... Where the hell are you? I'm venting here hoping someone at Palm sees this (as if) and gets me my new phone whatever it is.

Lastly, I'm keeping my Pre alive and running with my user profile as my son will be using the phone. The second I can get back on webOS I'm doing it. I'm not defecting... I'm just cheating on my Palm marriage for now.

At the very least I'll be able to make first-hand comparisons to webOS and Android 2.2. It's going to be a costly affair, as all affairs are (I'm talking money here).
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    I can't take my Sprint Pre anymore!!! Even overclocking I get the TMC error as I always have 8-10 apps open for business. Once I get into apps like YouView (which I love and need), web pages and the camera for example (all very basic apps) my overclocked Pre gives me the TMC error.

I'd gladly wait if Sprint had the Pre Plus! Gladly! But of course that isn't happening either. So I'm going to Sprint today, giving my Pre (Minus) to my 15 yr old and getting an EVO 4g for myself. This sucks for me and for Palm. I love webOS and my Pre form factor. I've just had it with laggy performance and the TMC errors!!! I've removed the uber kernal and gone back to the f104 kernel (less stable but better performance) which removes the TMC error altogether but, unfortunately, doesn't do much for laggy performance once you get a certain combination of cards open.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Not only would I shut up and quit moaning if I had double the RAM, I'd also shut up if I had double the storage. I've had it with only having 1/4 of my music collection on my phone so I can make room for the 200+ apps I've paid for (and yes I've paid for 200+ apps--another reason this pains me).

So C40... Roadrunner... Sprint Pre Plus... Where the hell are you? I'm venting here hoping someone at Palm sees this (as if) and gets me my new phone whatever it is.

Lastly, I'm keeping my Pre alive and running with my user profile as my son will be using the phone. The second I can get back on webOS I'm doing it. I'm not defecting... I'm just cheating on my Palm marriage for now.

At the very least I'll be able to make first-hand comparisons to webOS and Android 2.2. It's going to be a costly affair, as all affairs are (I'm talking money here).
    Look on the bright side, the Evo is a highly sought after device like the iPhone which means its resell value is high. When the new webOS device hits in 6-12 months you can probably break even with the Evo.
    Have you tried enabling compcache? I'm running with screenstate 500/1000 and 64MB cache. It's an extremely rare thing that I get the too many cards error now, which is a breath of fresh air. I was getting this error almost every time I tried to open a game before. In fact, this + performance issues were the primary reasons I went to Android months ago (with a Hero, rooted and running custom 2.2). Now I'm back to my Pre and it's fast and I'm not getting the TMC error. I'm really happy.

On a related note, make sure you spend a lot of time with the EVO before purchasing it. Out of the box it has an annoying frame rate limitation that makes everything you do feel choppy. Some people don't notice this, but I certainly do. I also find that Android is lacking a lot of the polish and more importantly the consistency that you get in the UI with webOS. This is also reflected in most of the apps in the Android Market. The overall quality with the apps is lacking.

Anyway, I don't want to trash talk the EVO. It's still a great phone, and there are plenty of advantages to running Android (especially 2.2). If you get one I hope you like it. If not I hope you can get your Pre working better.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    [B][U] So I'm going to Sprint today, giving my Pre (Minus) to my 15 yr old and getting an EVO 4g for myself.
    I hope you find one. 1 month ago, I tried to get one for my nephew. Sprint online said they were out & to go to a local Sprint store. We went to a Sprint store. Not only were they out, but every Sprint store in San Antonio (where I am from) & Phoenix (where he is attending college) were out. We went to Radio Shack, Best Buy & WalMart. None had it in stock.

I just checked tonight online & all were still out of stock. Only Amazon said if you ordered, the Evo usually ships in 6-7 weeks. SO...I hope you have better luck than I did last month or tonight.

Ended up buying him the Samsung Epic which he loves. I love my Pre.
    Last edited by Mike5; 09/16/2010 at 09:08 AM.
    After rereading some old news articles where NVIDIA's CEO gushes over WebOS and how NVIDIA would like to work with Palm, I believe that Palm will go with Tegra 2 for its next phone, as well as the first tablet. Have you seen the leaked benchmarks for Tegra 2? It blows the fastest, latest phones away on speed. It is supposed to launch in Q4 of this year. Several Android phones will launch with it and I think that Palm will join the list. I would predict a 3x faster experience given its dual 1ghz A9 processors and powerful GPU. It should bring a tremendous speed-up to WebOS. Coupled with the HTML 5 and CSS transitions with hardware acceleration, it should be a huge improvement over what we have today. It would be very worth of the code name Roadrunner.
    As to the person having frustration with eight cards open and going to the Evo, I've used an Evo. You can't have 8 cards open with it since it doesn't have cards. Keeping 3 cards open on the Pre is better than any multitasking on the EVO, imho. I don't think that you are going to find the Evo a great experience. I'd encourage you to use it for 3 weeks, then go back and use your Pre for a week. I predict you will return the Evo.
    There have been strong indications that Palm is sticking with the TI OMAP chip series, which has its own very impressive GPU. This makes the transition from the OMAP 3430 much easier and less expensive.
    not to sound like a nagging brat but seriosuly palm? i think its time to definitely release some kind of info on a new product. I dont think any other company will be able to steal your ideas in a 2 month span saying u would release a new phone by november. people are due for some kind of info. let it be known that a phone will be out! get the hype started than use all of hp's money to advertise properly so the hype wont die down! comon alreadyyyyyyy holy ****..
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    After rereading some old news articles where NVIDIA's CEO gushes over WebOS and how NVIDIA would like to work with Palm, I believe that Palm will go with Tegra 2 for its next phone, as well as the first tablet. Have you seen the leaked benchmarks for Tegra 2? It blows the fastest, latest phones away on speed. It is supposed to launch in Q4 of this year. Several Android phones will launch with it and I think that Palm will join the list. I would predict a 3x faster experience given its dual 1ghz A9 processors and powerful GPU. It should bring a tremendous speed-up to WebOS. Coupled with the HTML 5 and CSS transitions with hardware acceleration, it should be a huge improvement over what we have today. It would be very worth of the code name Roadrunner.
    As to the person having frustration with eight cards open and going to the Evo, I've used an Evo. You can't have 8 cards open with it since it doesn't have cards. Keeping 3 cards open on the Pre is better than any multitasking on the EVO, imho. I don't think that you are going to find the Evo a great experience. I'd encourage you to use it for 3 weeks, then go back and use your Pre for a week. I predict you will return the Evo.
    Judging from nVidia's recent power sucking history, what good is all that speed if it sucks your battery down in 2 hours? The TI OMAP 4 series will use roughly 3/4's the power of our current CPU/SOC and it will provide greater speed per clock, per core, and it's dual core, with a faster GPU. Seriously, why would Palm want to go through all the work to validate their software on a completely new design when they can go with an evolutionary design that gives outstanding performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Judging from nVidia's recent power sucking history, what good is all that speed if it sucks your battery down in 2 hours? The TI OMAP 4 series will use roughly 3/4's the power of our current CPU/SOC and it will provide greater speed per clock, per core, and it's dual core, with a faster GPU. Seriously, why would Palm want to go through all the work to validate their software on a completely new design when they can go with an evolutionary design that gives outstanding performance?
    the will most likely be the omap not the tegra
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'd gladly wait if Sprint had the Pre Plus! Gladly!
    Blah... blah... blah...

So C40... Roadrunner... Sprint Pre Plus... Where the hell are you?
    Blah... blah... blah...

I'm quoting myself which doesn't seem right but at least making light of my rant does.

I did, very reluctantly, get an EVO 4g two days ago.
    My Pre (Minus) is still alive and running with full data, etc. My local Sprint store had the EVO in stock and told me how much I was going to "just love it."

After a short two days but many hours tweaking the EVO running Froyo (2.2) all I can say is Palm did something truly wonderful and amazing with webOS. I kind of knew it all along but I am thoroughly convinced of it as I look at the US market's largest mobile OS, Android 2.2, doing it's best to multitask and notify. It does both... in a very clunky fashion compared to webOS and Palm!

I'm going to run both phones (hopefully for no more than 1-2 months) then when the new webOS hardware comes out I'm getting it, switching my user profile from old device to new device, keeping the EVO as a kid phone (they'll love it -- they're kids, what do they know) and be back in webOS heaven.

Damn Sprint (I guess it's Sprint's fault) for not at least giving us Palm Pre Pluses.

For the record, the EVO feels like a well built tank for sure. I affectionately refer to it now as my TV that also happens to be a phone because it's huge, heavy and all screen, just like a TV. But I like TV's so don't get me wrong.

EVO pros: Big screen (television big); Well built (so it feels); Runs video like a champ (cool but unnecessary in a phone for hellsake); Solid apps from the big boys (like eBay and YouMail that are from the companies themselves and therefore run very well); Snappy performance (zero lag); A very nice kickstand (read poor man's touchstone). [UPDATE: Battery. I forgot to mention the EVO battery considering the size of the screen is actually quite good. A rough guess is that I get nearly twice the battery life from the EVO vs. an overclocked Pre.)

EVO / Android 2.2 cons: Big screen (seriously, it's a phone); Notifications are very clunky by comparison to webOS; Multitasking is very clunky compared to webOS (if you want to call it multitasking); App store and apps in general are a bit of a mess in terms of how they're distributed (kudos to Palm for a very solid app catalog/store and cloud backups of user profiles--Android has nothing like it--don't go there); A truckload of very lame apps (webOS apps in general are more polished--not all--but most); Bluetooth's A2DP is very buggy (at least for me--my Pre's bluetooth audio streaming is superior); And last and most importantly, no portrait slider/physical keyboard! The Pre's vertical slider form factor is damn near perfect (give us a 3.8-4.0 inch screen and we're there).

My new TV (EVO) does not suck... it just blows in comparison to say a Pre Plus running webOS (thanks Sprint for nothing).
    Last edited by mjrei; 09/17/2010 at 04:48 PM.
    mjrei, thanks for that Android review. I love my Pre Plus and since I have a iTouch and many coworkers have iPhones, I know what Apple products are like but I haven't had enough time with an Android to know what they are like. There are a lot of great phones out there, but it's great to hear how Palm got it right. Now if only the masses would realize it...I don't want to see any of the competitors disappear since it is good to have choices, I just want to see Palm get the marketshare it deserves.
    App store and apps in general are a bit of a mess in terms of how they're distributed (kudos to Palm for a very solid app catalog/store and cloud backups of user profiles--Android has nothing like it--don't go there); A truckload of very lame apps (webOS apps in general are more polished--not all--but most);
    I realize this is veering offtopic, so I'll be brief: have you tried out appbrain? All of your other critiques of Android I think are spot-on.

WebOS is really something special. My Epic 4G is in the mail--I hope I don't hate it too much.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I did, very reluctantly, get an EVO 4g two days ago.
    My Pre (Minus) is still alive and running with full data, etc. My local Sprint store had the EVO in stock and told me how much I was going to "just love it."

After a short two days but many hours tweaking the EVO running Froyo (2.2) all I can say is Palm did something truly wonderful and amazing with webOS. I kind of knew it all along but I am thoroughly convinced of it as I look at the US market's largest mobile OS, Android 2.2, doing it's best to multitask and notify. It does both... in a very clunky fashion compared to webOS and Palm!

I'm going to run both phones (hopefully for no more than 1-2 months) then when the new webOS hardware comes out I'm getting it, switching my user profile from old device to new device, keeping the EVO as a kid phone (they'll love it -- they're kids, what do they know) and be back in webOS heaven.

Damn Sprint (I guess it's Sprint's fault) for not at least giving us Palm Pre Pluses...
    Update: Sprint Pre (Minus)... to Sprint EVO 4g (running Android 2.2)... to Verizon Pre Plus!!!

Yes after 6 days with the EVO 4g, learning what to like and what not to like about Android 2.2, I returned the EVO, kept my Sprint Pre (Minus) active and went to Verizon and got a Pre Plus. I can now officially stop *****ing and wait out the day, months, etc. for new hardware from HP/Palm. Ahhhh... sigh of relief! Lesser hardware (Pre Minus is technically "lesser, lesser hardware") with webOS is a superior experience to better hardware and Android-anything!

This is not to say that Android--HTC EVO--Droids in general, don't have merit. They do and I get why people would be Android fans. They are just not for me. Palm webOS is a multitasking, multi-notifying, form factor, physical keyboard, near perfect machine. Now that I have a Pre Plus and can say goodbye to the TMC error (overclocked or not) I will wait eagerly and happily for what HP/Palm have in the coming months!

All in all... was a good day... didn't use my AK... Got a Pre Plus! Word. Ditched EVO 4g! (Never claimed to be a rapper.)
    I agree, the webOS experience is superior (I sold phones for a while and know for myself this), just waiting for that new hardware. All it means is that the longer it takes, the better it will be, and the cheaper it will be for me (in that the price of hardware goes down the longer its been on market (compare prices of processors) and contract renewal discount. )

All in all... was a good day... didn't use my AK... Got a Pre Plus! Word. Ditched EVO 4g! (Never claimed to be a rapper.)
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    bought the evo. ran it for two weeks. discovered that the best hardware in the world doesn't fix usability issues. returned it and went back to the pre.

wish they would quit screwing around and get new hardware out.

p