Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1662
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Take what I say with a grain of salt! I told you this! How many times are you going to bring it up? Just because Palm and HP had different directions doesn't mean I'm making it up.
    And it doesn't mean you aren't making it up either. I'm just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Let's see you run a corporations, make deadlines AND merge 2 companies. GL.
    It's done all the time - without all the interruptions seen with this particular takeover. For example, Dataviz was just taken over by RIM, yet they recently released a completely new iPad version and had updates for iPhone, iPad, and Android in the last few weeks. In contrast, Palm didn't provide a single OTA update between March (1.4.1) and July (1.4.5). I think the complete pause by Palm is an indication of how bad off they really were.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

It's done all the time - without all the interruptions seen with this particular takeover. For example, Dataviz was just taken over by RIM, yet they recently released a completely new iPad version and had updates for iPhone, iPad, and Android in the last few weeks. In contrast, Palm didn't provide a single OTA update between March (1.4.1) and July (1.4.5). I think the complete pause by Palm is an indication of how bad off they really were.
    yeah, I think dataviz being bought and Palm being bought are quite different beasts.

Besides, Palm DID release the updates earlier than we saw them. The carriers, however, had some issues with them. That's why europe got the update way before the U.S., who is mostly still waiting on carriers to put it out.

yup palm was in very bad shape, and doing a update to a OS that might have not been, of course was not even a priority. Though to me a delay this time, in regards to the next smartphone to me is a good sign that HP and Palm are making sure they not only deliver a mind blowing product in Webos 2.0 and the hardware with it, but they also make sure the preperations to market these devices are to the T. Pretty much this may be Webos's last chance (atleast in the smartphone range) to see if they can not only produce a great piece of hardware, but the componets that comes with it.
    samsung just announced they are moving to the duel core A9 processor with mass production beginning first half of 2011.. Palm better beat them to the punch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    aren't you the guy that keeps pulling random release dates out of his ****?

my little birdy also told me that we have new hardware coming in a couple of weeks as well. a couple of weeks could be 2, or 15. It all depends man... lets hope that everything goes well.
    I'd just recommend not shaking his hand.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Question (and I hope it's not too noob). WMExperts is saying the HTC HD3 will be unveiled next week with a 1.5ghz dual core processor. People here have been saying the next Palm would be lucky to be 1ghz dual core b/c the faster ones aren't out yet. I understand it's a different chip manufacturer, but is that the only reason for the difference, or is it actually possible we could see a 1.5ghz dual core Palm?
    It's done all the time - without all the interruptions seen with this particular takeover. For example, Dataviz was just taken over by RIM, yet they recently released a completely new iPad version and had updates for iPhone, iPad, and Android in the last few weeks...
    Do you think DataViz is really a good example of a company that merged without affecting product releases. Didn't they have a product promised for some device well know and some of us use that they suddenly dropped?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Do you think DataViz is really a good example of a company that merged without affecting product releases. Didn't they have a product promised for some device well know and some of us use that they suddenly dropped?
    I see what you did there... You know the answer to the question, but are still asking the question.

your comparing a major corporation updating an entire operating system and pushing it to multiple carriers in during an acquisition to an app developer...smh
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Question (and I hope it's not too noob). WMExperts is saying the HTC HD3 will be unveiled next week with a 1.5ghz dual core processor. People here have been saying the next Palm would be lucky to be 1ghz dual core b/c the faster ones aren't out yet. I understand it's a different chip manufacturer, but is that the only reason for the difference, or is it actually possible we could see a 1.5ghz dual core Palm?
    Qualcomm won't have 1.5GHz chips until the end of next year... ARM won't have those until Q2 of next year. Also people say that it probably won't have a dual core, I've seen at least 4 tablets that are in production using the A9 1Ghz dual core Tegra 2.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Guys, guys, it's not all about the GHz. I thought after all the x86 wars we would have learned this by now. It is perfectly possible for a 1GHz chip from one manufacturer to outperform a 1.5GHz chip from another manufacturer as long as it has the right features to cater to the specific applications in use. There is a reason why there are cars with 300hp engines that outperform and outhandle others with 380hp engines.

Stop getting hung up over cycles per second. Seriously.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I guess the "any day" expectations for new hardware announcements have been dashed completely by the recent comments of Rahul Sood. This would be fine if I had a Sprint Pre Plus. Having a Sprint Pre (Minus) even with overclocking is bringing me down!!!

I really needed to hear about new hardware and be able to look forward to something this year. Am I missing something? 2011 is basically what we're looking at isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    I guess the "any day" expectations for new hardware announcements have been dashed completely by the recent comments of Rahul Sood. This would be fine if I had a Sprint Pre Plus. Having a Sprint Pre (Minus) even with overclocking is bringing me down!!!

I really needed to hear about new hardware and be able to look forward to something this year. Am I missing something? 2011 is basically what we're looking at isn't it?
    Been trying to tell many that here for a while but many are blind to the obvious. There has been absolutely zero indications that anything could possibly be released or announced anytime relatively soon.

Probably looking at a 2Q/3Q 2011 launch for a new phone, if I had to guess.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Been trying to tell many that here for a while but many are blind to the obvious. There has been absolutely zero indications that anything could possibly be released or announced anytime relatively soon.

Probably looking at a 2Q/3Q 2011 launch for a new phone, if I had to guess.

But they stated numerous times that they were following Palm's original plan, or at least had most of that continuing. I really doubt Palm's original plan was to release a next gen phone a year and a half later. But i'll have to give in and hope for the best and expect the worst so that reality isn't shattering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xacto01 View Post
    But they stated numerous times that they were following Palm's original plan, or at least had most of that continuing. I really doubt Palm's original plan was to release a next gen phone a year and a half later. But i'll have to give in and hope for the best and expect the worst so that reality isn't shattering.
    Right, but Palm's original plan was probably nothing more than that, a plan. When HP came along, things probably got shifted around a bit, etc. etc. It takes months (like 8 - 18 months) to prepare and create new hardware. 3 - 4 months alone is probably spent field testing.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Right, but Palm's original plan was probably nothing more than that, a plan. When HP came along, things probably got shifted around a bit, etc. etc. It takes months (like 8 - 18 months) to prepare and create new hardware. 3 - 4 months alone is probably spent field testing.
    Jon Rubenstien stated that they were working on new hardware back before they were bought by HP. The Pixi has been out since November of last year, so they should have been working on a phone since then. I would honestly say since the Pre was released, but Palm is a slow mover. I don't see how they could expect to wait until next year for a new phone. They would fail. They would be behind Android, Windows 7 phone, iPhone, and Nokia. They must understand the concept of 2 year carrier contracts and people are goling to flood to other platform which are out already.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/22/p...-to-webos-lic/

But if they do not have new hardware this year, then webOS will fade as a memory lost from a concussion.

Still, I believe the folks at webOSworld may be on to something

http://www.webosworld.com/2010/09/13...o-wp7-release/
    Last edited by shotyme; 09/13/2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added link
    For one, I am utterly unsurprised. Anyone who thought different was just hopeful.

When Palm talked about the "roadmap," many here thought that meant "new hardware." But it meant versions of the phone at ATT, international launches, 1.4.1, 1.4.5, 1.5, 2.0

I am sure a new phone was in there somewhere, and it still is part of the roadmap. But "roadmap' in no way implies timing.

There are still people who think this lends itself to a CES announcement. That's completely crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    Jon Rubenstien stated that they were working on new hardware back before they were bought by HP. The Pixi has been out since November of last year, so they should have been working on a phone since then. I would honestly say since the Pre was released, but Palm is a slow mover. I don't see how they could expect to wait until next year for a new phone. They would fail. They would be behind Android, Windows 7 phone, iPhone, and Nokia. They must understand the concept of 2 year carrier contracts and people are goling to flood to other platform which are out already.

But if they do not have new hardware this year, then webOS will fade as a memory lost from a concussion.

Still, I believe the folks at webOSworld may be on to something

Palm Devices to be Announced Prior to WP7 Release?
    For all anyone knows, that "new hardware" could have been the tablet that has already been announced by HP. John also said that when webOS was designed, it was designed with a tablet in mind.
    Last edited by barkerja; 09/13/2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    For all anyone knows, that "new hardware" could have been the tablet that has already been announced by HP. John also said that when webOS was designed, it was designed with a tablet in mind.
    I added a new link since you posted. He stated phones specifically. It would only make sense to come out with a new phone first, but this is Palm we are talking about. That was just a conference call. I don't really call that confirmation, but it is better than nothing.
    We should have been expecting a delay in hardware. Devs just got access to the 2.0 SDK.... however,I'm going to disregard everything and hope to hear something at least by the end of september. A leak, an official announcement or something to give me some freaking hope that this device is coming.