Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28687374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1662
    So where's this mythical beast going to land? Sprint? Verizon? Multiple carriers?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm on Sprint and i'm up for an upgrade. I'm trying my best to hold on and not get anything else but a Palm/HP phone.
    If it comes out as soon as end of September, that will mean it does not have much better of a processor in it. No OMAP4

That means WebOS 2.0 better have TONS of cool new features and optimizations. Otherwise I may be forced to go Windows Phone 7 - as that will be released around the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    If it comes out as soon as end of September, that will mean it does not have much better of a processor in it. No OMAP4

That means WebOS 2.0 better have TONS of cool new features and optimizations. Otherwise I may be forced to go Windows Phone 7 - as that will be released around the same time.
    No OMAP4?

Why would you say that? Rahul Sood of HP said, clearly and disntinctly, that they are staying with the OMAP platform, in his WebOSroundup interview a couple of weeks ago!

Also, TI's own roadmap clearly indicated shipments of the OMAP4 processors in the "second half of 2010", which, is where we are right now, and where we have been for almost 2 months now.

Oh, and the OMPA4 processors are dual core, 1 ghz (or higher - 1.2 ghz) - I would think that THOSE specs are at least just a "teeny-tiny-weee-little-bit" better than any current WebOS device now, stock or overclocked!

If NiTox's prognisitactions are right, then all of this fits right into that scenario.

Here's another little tidbit from that WebOSroundup interview with Rahul Sood - he said he would be able to answer many more questions AFTER he gets back from business trip after September 15.

Just sayin, is all...

Last edited by LCGuy; 08/22/2010 at 07:12 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    why anyone still listens to this guy is beyond me???

Its ok to have fun, and have some sort of rumors, but this guy has been talking **** for 6 months now without ANYTHING to show for it.
    Relax.

Listening to, and trying to see if the content is believable is NOT the same as laying down a bet for life based on his post and predictions therein.

Just because his first prognistication didnt come to be (and he posted why), doesn't mean he and\or his sources are illegitimate - things change in the real world at the drop of a hat - Im sure you have experienced that yourself.

NOTHING he has posted seems unreasonable, IMO..., and so far, it doesnt violate any rationale thought, yet.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    The Pixi replacement I was told was going to be bigger than the Pre's but not by much. I'm thinking a 3.2" screen.
    so any information on initial carrier launch. A source I have say sprint first, Verizon second, AT&T early 2011 third.
    I don't understand this OMAP4 or bust philosophy from some folks. Whatever processor it has will be faster than the current processor. The most important factor to me is the software. Will it be a well thought out overhaul or basically the same but with more standard features that didn't make the cut the first time out like voice dialing and mass email deletion. We already know that there will be alot of API improvements for the SDK.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    <quoted text deleted by Mod>

Considering Palm had been tanking and HP bought their flogged business, I'm sure road-maps and visions of where the company is going changed drastically. All I said, and I'll say it again, take what I say with a grain of salt because things change in an instant. If you knew corporate business you know that what begins in early stages of production and what the final product is based upon what distributors and hardware manufacturers have ranges widely on the times they are built in (i.e. AMOLED Screens). It also determines the pace at which the phone is launched.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    No OMAP4?

Why would you say that? Rahul Sood of HP said, clearly and disntinctly, that they are staying with the OMAP platform, in his WebOSroundup interview a couple of weeks ago!
    The OMAP3630/3640 are still OMAP chips, even though they're refreshes of the 3430 used in the Pre.

Also, TI's own roadmap clearly indicated shipments of the OMAP4 processors in the "second half of 2010", which, is where we are right now, and where we have been for almost 2 months now.
    'Shipping in the second half' is marketing speak for "We're pretty sure it will be shipping in Q4, but we might make the end of Q3." If they planned to ship production-volume chips in Q3, they would have said Q3. It's just how industry works.

Even once that starts, there's still ramp-up. Final masking has to be tested in small batches to ensure that everything is set up properly, and the production is then accelerated at a measured pace. Initial volume shipments are usually in the low tens of thousands spread across several customers, far short of the number required for a cell phone launch, which would require at least a few hundred thousand for a single customer.

Even once you get ramp-up underway, there's still a lead time of a month or two from when it comes off of the lines and ends up in the phones in the stores. Most of the final products are sent by ship, which means a crossing of the Pacific that takes a couple of weeks. All of this means a November launch window for the earliest chips off the line and into phones.

Oh, and the OMPA4 processors are dual core, 1 ghz (or higher - 1.2 ghz)
    The OMAP4430 is a 700MHz part, and the OMAP4440 is the gigahertz chip. I expect many more of the 4430 early on than the 4440, as flaws that prevent a chip from running at 1GHz may not prevent it from running at 700MHz. This is how chip models are determined: the chips are tested in various ways, and those that are the highest-spec generally end up as higher model numbers. Those which don't do so well but still pass are given lower model numbers.
    Martin;

Thanks for your thoughts - here is the basis for mine:

http://m.forums.precentral.net/futur...years-end.html

And much of the above is confirmed by TI themsleves:

Texas Instruments' OMAP™ 4 platform debuts, revolutionizing the mobile Internet experience - News Room - News Center

correct.... You get my PM?

Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    <quoted text deleted by Mod>

Considering Palm had been tanking and HP bought their flogged business, I'm sure road-maps and visions of where the company is going changed drastically. All I said, and I'll say it again, take what I say with a grain of salt because things change in an instant. If you knew corporate business you know that what begins in early stages of production and what the final product is based upon what distributors and hardware manufacturers have ranges widely on the times they are built in (i.e. AMOLED Screens). It also determines the pace at which the phone is launched.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    The OMAP3630/3640 are still OMAP chips, even though they're refreshes of the 3430 used in the Pre.

'Shipping in the second half' is marketing speak for "We're pretty sure it will be shipping in Q4, but we might make the end of Q3." If they planned to ship production-volume chips in Q3, they would have said Q3. It's just how industry works.

Even once that starts, there's still ramp-up. Final masking has to be tested in small batches to ensure that everything is set up properly, and the production is then accelerated at a measured pace. Initial volume shipments are usually in the low tens of thousands spread across several customers, far short of the number required for a cell phone launch, which would require at least a few hundred thousand for a single customer.

Even once you get ramp-up underway, there's still a lead time of a month or two from when it comes off of the lines and ends up in the phones in the stores. Most of the final products are sent by ship, which means a crossing of the Pacific that takes a couple of weeks. All of this means a November launch window for the earliest chips off the line and into phones.

The OMAP4430 is a 700MHz part, and the OMAP4440 is the gigahertz chip. I expect many more of the 4430 early on than the 4440, as flaws that prevent a chip from running at 1GHz may not prevent it from running at 700MHz. This is how chip models are determined: the chips are tested in various ways, and those that are the highest-spec generally end up as higher model numbers. Those which don't do so well but still pass are given lower model numbers.
    The OMAP 4430 started off as a 720Mhz part and now is listed on TI's website as an up to 1Ghz chip. This might be perhaps of the 45nm process allowing them to make such headway. They will be moving to a 28nm process soon with the OMAP4 as well. Unless you have inside knowledge of TI's business and production maps, I'd say you're just speculating on chip manufacturing.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    looks as though intel has some competiton for ARM processor huh?

Mobile Wars: Intel says it is ready to take on ARM 
 | TG Daily

though when considering the options the 3rd generation snapdragon chipset not only being clocked at 1.5 ghz, as well as better power consumption and will also be a dual chipset. Why not consider this chipset or intel over the omap 4, and both will be available this year for mass consumption?

"From its inception, Qualcomm positioned the Snapdragon platform as an innovative breakthrough offering since it uses the in-house custom developed Scorpion CPU as the core application processor based on the ARMv7-based Cortex-A8 core. This approach has enabled Qualcomm to engineer improvements over standard off-the-shelf ARMv7-based Cortex-A8 processors in areas such as power consumption (e.g., the first Scorpion processor required 150 milliwatts less power consumption at 600 MHz than the non-customized ARM equivalent and so on) as well as optimizing the processor design for the low-power process. "

"TI's OMAP 4 platform using the OMAP4440 processor is slated to support mobile device products that will hit retail in late 2010/early 2011. The OMAP processor series is already found in well-known mobile handset products such as the Nokia N-series, the Motorola Droid, and the Palm Pre. However, OMAP 4 dual core clock speeds are limited to just 1 GHz, and that's for a product that is not yet in generally available mobile products. In this regard, OMAP 4 trails the Qualcomm Snapdragon's third generation 1.2 GHz/1.5GHz products"

source:

Analyst Angle: The Qualcomm Snapdragon platform and its dramatic impact on the competitive landscape - RCR Wireless News

so in a sense a faster, and better experiance with a better battery life.
    Thanks for the update, NitOxYs. I hadn't seen that anywhere else, and most materials even up to a few weeks ago were referring to 700MHz speeds for the 4430.

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts - here is the basis for mine
    Your first link references a press release from TI that they will be shipping the chip "later this year." That still just means sometime prior to 31 December. Your second link is a press release from TI from February. I've seen both of them, and while they are the basis for hope of an OMAP4 device from Palm, it's very hard to believe that it will be arriving in the next two months.

I've been following the tech sector for close to twenty years, and I'm used to the way that they phrase things in press releases. You really do have to read into what they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Thanks for the update, NitOxYs. I hadn't seen that anywhere else, and most materials even up to a few weeks ago were referring to 700MHz speeds for the 4430.

Your first link references a press release from TI that they will be shipping the chip "later this year." That still just means sometime prior to 31 December. Your second link is a press release from TI from February. I've seen both of them, and while they are the basis for hope of an OMAP4 device from Palm, it's very hard to believe that it will be arriving in the next two months.

I've been following the tech sector for close to twenty years, and I'm used to the way that they phrase things in press releases. You really do have to read into what they say.
    Martin;

You are right, they are the basis of my, and other's hope, along with the fact that these were already available for sampling purposes earlier this year; so, this is what I am speculating - that they are quite ready now for production, or even IN production for PALM exclusively, so that these rumors (and that's all that they are, right now, ut there do seem to be many of them appearing, ALL with a late fall/early Winter ship date for the next WebOS phone), could prove true. On the other hand, of course, is that they could prove to be way behind production-ready - but that is something I believe that we'd have already heard about.. instead, they are talking about future versions of the CPUs with the 28 nm thinckness, ... sounds to me like they are right on track, at the least.

Is it possible that HP would ship a new smartphone based on the latest OMAP3 specs? Entirely, but, they'd then be introducing a mediocre phone into a market that demands high performance, with an OS that literally requires much more CPU power and efficiency/performance to be able to perform well, because of its inherent multitasking capabilities. That's almost like setting it up for failure, at the onset - I dont think HP bought PALM to fail, in any regard.

No, Martin, I'm speculating that Palm's next WebOS smartphone will be another OMAP first.. (OMAP4) and with HP behing them, TI would probably have been more than happy to work with them specifically to get production live for a launch of only a mere several hundred thousand devices on several carriers, in a sequential manner (one new carrier per month, starting this fall) - then, if the phone is a hit, they can continue to ramp up production quantities at the end of 2010 and into 2011 as needed.

No proof - it just kinda fits together, and the timing would be perfect.

I think.

I guess its all a matter of watching and waiting, now.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/22/2010 at 04:01 PM.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    So, Roadrunner = Pixi (2), Roadrunner HD = Palm Pre/+ (2)...?

Now that we have a bit more on the device, care to start wondering what WebOS 2.0 will look like and offer?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I haven't read much about the new OS expected (hopefully) soon. Is there any reason to think it will NOT be available for existing devices once it rolls out? Has anyone read one way or the other?
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Wish I had a reference for you, but I believe I've read that the next version will be available for existing devices.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Here's hoping so. I havent read about processor speeds or ram issues not being compatible but I could still see them not rolling it out just to get you to upgrade. Maybe I'm just being jaded, though. After all: Palm isnt Apple.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    Here's hoping so. I havent read about processor speeds or ram issues not being compatible but I could still see them not rolling it out just to get you to upgrade. Maybe I'm just being jaded, though. After all: Palm isnt Apple.
    I think that the current devices will only be updated to 1.5, and 2.0+ for the upcoming devices. Lol, yet Apple has given me up until 3.1.3 for my first gen iPhone so don't see a problem there. Also, at least Apple themselves gives you the updates and don't rely on AT&T what-so-ever, right