Page 75 of 84 FirstFirst ... 25657071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1662
    Sorry I see now. Hope that means it's FAST!
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    it looks interesting though, and also someone else posted the twitter converstation going on from the devo of foursquare, who is the one who got the info I suppose. I wouldnt doubt thats the device, hopefully the roadrunner with webos 2.0 means omap4 chip inside, which I wouldnt doubt either. With the power HP has, and after speding 1.2billion on Palm and Webos, and knowing they need something this holiday season, I wouldnt doubt this next device (hopefully smartphone) will be something amazing. I have full faith in HP with the mindshare of different Execs from different company backgrounds, it will be something epic, and Ill sit and wait with my pre until that time comes.
    On WebOSroundup's last broadcast, they had the Palm PDK guy there, and he most definitely said that Palm is staying with Arm and the OMAP processors due to their high processing capabilities versus thier low power usage properties.

Just FYI..
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I am kind of content with just having Web OS 2.0 on the Pre. New hardware is nice, it will only keep us ******* happy for a month? But realistically, the app catalog needs some serious rework to attract developers, otherwise, C40/roadrunner will just end up being vaporware no matter how many units HPalm can push through their "huge sales channels". Marketing will help too, and a family of well designed/integrated webOS products are keys to HPalm's fight against the fruit company.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    On WebOSroundup's last broadcast, they had the Palm PDK guy there, and he most definitely said that Palm is staying with Arm and the OMAP processors due to their high processing capabilities versus thier low power usage properties.

Just FYI..
    That's great. The OMAP4 is such a better platform than the upcoming dual-core Snapdragon. The dual-core Snapdragons are still based on a tweaked A8 core and not the out-of-order capable A9 in the OMAP4.

PLEASE let the new webOS phone have an OMAP4.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm really wishing for an Omap 4 processor as well. But I have my doubts that it'll be ready for mass production in time for palm to use it in a phone in 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I'm really wishing for an Omap 4 processor as well. But I have my doubts that it'll be ready for mass production in time for palm to use it in a phone in 2010.
    A 45nm OMAP3 (ala Droid X) would be my second choice.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Everyone;

From the overall looks of it, HP/Palm arent in a rush to just "get a new smartphone" out there... I think they see the current hardware profile of the smartphone market changing rapidly, and are likely projecting a launch, at whatever time, to be a "state of the art" hardware launch, so that the device will be, for the time being, "leading edge".

There are multiple articles on the internet regarding TI's production for the OMAP4 processor line, and most of them imply "production" availability either 2nd half/2010 or Q3/2010, with samples available in the early part of 2010.

Ive read that the 45 nm version of the chip will need to scale up produciton from initial quantities, and that may take time but still within the stated time periods. Ive also read that they do plan on producing 28 nm chips, which will reduce heat and power usage requirements feven further, but that will take even more time, and may not be available in production quantities in this time frame.

Oh, and OMAP4 is, I believe, planned in both thicknesses.. but, if someone has more info on that, to confirm or refute it, please, post it for us all.

( http://m.forums.precentral.net/futur...years-end.html : "The OMAP4430 chip will be manufactured using the 45-nanometer process, but TI intends to move to the 28-nm process in the future, which could bring further improvement and power-efficiency benefits to the chips."

So, if we are to believe any of the rumors here on PreCentral, its entirely feasible for a late Q3 or Q4/2010 launch of the next WebOS smartphone to happen, with the OMAP4 chip on it, in production quantities, as long as TI has kept to thier published schedule of availability, and that HP/Palm has been, indeed, keeping to whatever "roadmap" they had for it.

FYI.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/12/2010 at 07:43 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    So if they are cutting it that close, how much time does that leave Palm to test the hardware? Or is it possible that TI has made enough chips before mass production for palm to use in testing?

I'm just hoping there's not another pre slider incident.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    So if they are cutting it that close, how much time does that leave Palm to test the hardware? Or is it possible that TI has made enough chips before mass production for palm to use in testing?

I'm just hoping there's not another pre slider incident.
    Krische;

Samples were ready in early 2010. My guess is that they have been lab and semi-field tested by now, and are in the process of being optimized and fine tuned with webOS 2.0 as we speak.

Production would have to start in September for an October launch; October for a November launch, etc.. etc.. etc...

IMO, of course.

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    It certainly makes sense for Palm to be the first with OMAP4, as they were the first with OMAP3.
    at this point i'm not getting a 1ghz phone. My phone is already 1ghz.. Sure it's not as fast as a processor, and whole phone build around 1ghz, but still, I'm not spending hundreds buying the phone out of contract for a 20% speed increase.
    I for one was stupid enough to sell my launch day pre in May in anticipation of a Pre 2 in June/July time frame. It is extremely frustrating that it is mid Aug and we don't even have a solid leak yet for new hardware. I used an EVO for a month and then returned and now I am using a BB. I miss webOS...
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckywildcats View Post
    I for one was stupid enough to sell my launch day pre in May in anticipation of a Pre 2 in June/July time frame. It is extremely frustrating that it is mid Aug and we don't even have a solid leak yet for new hardware. I used an EVO for a month and then returned and now I am using a BB. I miss webOS...
    that was actually a smart move.. Well palm's funds went crazy low, and they got sold to hp, But theres no way you could of predicted all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    at this point i'm not getting a 1ghz phone. My phone is already 1ghz.. Sure it's not as fast as a processor, and whole phone build around 1ghz, but still, I'm not spending hundreds buying the phone out of contract for a 20% speed increase.
    Nimer;

The stock speed range for initial OMAP4 CPU's is 1 - 1.2ghz, but, Marco of WebOSinternals may have something significant to say about that within months of the device's debut..

Additionally, these are likely to be dual core.. and with WebOS optimized for the chip, and the GPU enabled, this device will have the potential to be as fast and responsive and slick performing as anything you will have ever held in your hands, under very heavy processing loads, and with many, many cards open:

"Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP)
    TI’s OMAP 4 platform is one of the first dual-core, ARM® Cortex™-A9 MPCore SMP based architectures and employs parallel processing for higher performance and better power efficiency. SMP’s scalable performance activates only the cores that are needed for that particular process to reduce power consumption or substantially increase performance."

There was a GREAT thread here on why the iPhone seemed so much faster than WebOS, with the same processor.. the difference is because the iPhone OS was written in C and compiled into assembler - (machine language- very efficient), versus WebOS, which was written in Javascript (to make programming for the OS easy for developers) - that requires an additional compiler at runtime, which, at lower CPU speeds such as those under 1Gz, will cause the lags we currently see... but with higher CPU speeds, and multi-core configurations they will come in, this difference will completely disappear, and THAT is what this next set of processors will do for all WebOS devices...

Keep an open mind, for now.. thats my best suggestion!
    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/13/2010 at 06:38 AM.

I can just imagine... The Palm Roadrunner matching the competition in clock speed, but with superior architecture... and dual core!

I'm seriously having a nerdgasm right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Nimer;

The stock speed range for initial OMAP4 CPU's is 1 - 1.2ghz, but, Marco of WebOSinternals may have something significant to say about that within months of the device's debut..

Additionally, these are likely to be dual core.. and with WebOS optimized for the chip, and the GPU enabled, this device will have the potential to be as fast and responsive and slick performing as anything you will have ever held in your hands, under very heavy processing loads, and with many, many cards open:

"Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP)
    TI’s OMAP 4 platform is one of the first dual-core, ARM® Cortex™-A9 MPCore SMP based architectures and employs parallel processing for higher performance and better power efficiency. SMP’s scalable performance activates only the cores that are needed for that particular process to reduce power consumption or substantially increase performance."

There was a GREAT thread here on why the iPhone seemed so much faster than WebOS, with the same processor.. the difference is because the iPhone OS was written in C and compiled into assembler - (machine language- very efficient), versus WebOS, which was written in Javascript (to make programming for the OS easy for developers) - that requires an additional compiler at runtime, which, at lower CPU speeds such as those under 1Gz, will cause the lags we currently see... but with higher CPU speeds, and multi-core configurations they will come in, this difference will completely disappear, and THAT is what this next set of processors will do for all WebOS devices...

Keep an open mind, for now.. thats my best suggestion!
    I meant if it's single core snapdragon... Omap4 is definetly a big step-up...

But the gpu thing doesn't make a difference, cause my pre would also be updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I meant if it's single core snapdragon... Omap4 is definetly a big step-up...

But the gpu thing doesn't make a difference, cause my pre would also be updated.
    Nimer;

Ah.. I seee...

Re: GPU...

Hey, look, the less load ANY CPU has to deal with, the more power it retains for other tasks... so, while enabling the GPU on your Pre/Pre+ (and mine, too!) will definitely bring a huge performance boost, it will allow the OMAP4 CPU even more power to run the rest of the device's processes more expediently, and efficiently!

Last edited by LCGuy; 08/13/2010 at 09:15 PM.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hmm, if I'm not mistaken, the A9 will still be quicker than the A8 because of the out-of-order architecture correct? Meaning that even if an A8 and A9 are clocked at the same frequency, the A9 will still be quicker. Therefore, IF the next WebOS smartphone has an A9 processor it will still be faster than the Pre and Pre Plus, no?
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    correct.