Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24646970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1662
    wynand32, they'd be more likely to export it to Moorestown than Atom now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    wynand32, they'd be more likely to export it to Moorestown than Atom now.
    But why X86 at all? Is even Moorestown going to be able to provide 10 hours of battery life to webOS? Or even more, since that's where things are likely to go?

Unless they make a webOS/Win 7 dual boot unit with pen support. I'd buy that in a heartbeat to also replace my Tablet PC. Hmmm...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    I've got clear indications that Palm will have the phone out mid November minus any slow downs from the merger.
    This does make some sense. If TI starts shipping in early Q4 (figure mid-October), then there will be a minimum of 30 days in between shipping of OMAP4 and shipping of products based on it. Even though the fabs and phone manufacturing sites are in relatively close proximity, there's the time needed to:
    • QA the initial production runs
    • meet minimum shipping volumes
    • package and ship to integrators
    • accept and store
    • integrate into manufacturing
    • QA initial end-user hardware production runs, and
    • send across the ocean to customers

I suppose it's possible that some final shipments will go by air, but most will go by sea. But the timing makes sense.
    Not that I'm saying they'd do that either, just that if they were to export it to another platform, it would be Moorestown, not Atom.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Well guys, since the signing of the merger and the things that happened after HP took control. They decided NOT to release any details about hardware, and focus more on WebOS 2.0. I'm being told that the new hardware will carry 2.0 and the Pre will be updated before the new device is launched (About a month before as projected). They supposedly have been talking to TI for quite sometime OMAP4 will be the choice (As I said in previous posts). However there has been a great number of shortages on the ips screens. They are buying them from Samsung is what I was told. I've got clear indications that Palm will have the phone out mid November minus any slow downs from the merger. Also they have running HP Slates with WebOS on them (Presumably early builds of 2.0) AND they have beta builds of some popular front facing chat (Which excites me because of the possibility with the front facing camera).
    That's all I got. I haven't talked to my source since the merger, he's been having a rough time with it.
    While this all sounds gravy, but I disagree with the release date of the OMAP 4 device. First, IPS screen is sold out from all Korean factories due to high volume orders from HTC/Apple/other cell phone manufacturers and not to mention low yields. Doubt any other shop has enough capacity to fill additional orders from HPalm. As for OMAP 4, it will not be mass produced until yields move up, this typically takes one or two iterative steps, or two-three months depending on their 6-sigma crew, at least that's from my experience in the semi biz.

However, I do agree a software update, 1.4.5 or 2.0, hopefully the latter, during the holidays. This should give a preview of what’s to come, and more importantly, I am sure the preware guys will find every new hidden function by digging through the code.

My thoughts, why not make a big bang at CES 2011, and release new phones/pads/netbooks/printers/video chat at the big bash? And have all of them on sale two weeks after the event? Or is HPalm trying to pull a Droid move like what Verizon did last year?
    I have a friend who is pretty good on inside information (due to his job), and he said that there will be a dual proc Palm device by the end of the year. It didn't occur to me until later that he never specifically mentioned "smartphone", but we were talking about my Pre at the time, and how the owner of the boat we were on were both waiting for the next Palm phone instead of jumping to Android. He said we'd see a dual proc for Android and Palm before Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    While this all sounds gravy, but I disagree with the release date of the OMAP 4 device. First, IPS screen is sold out from all Korean factories due to high volume orders from HTC/Apple/other cell phone manufacturers and not to mention low yields. Doubt any other shop has enough capacity to fill additional orders from HPalm. As for OMAP 4, it will not be mass produced until yields move up, this typically takes one or two iterative steps, or two-three months depending on their 6-sigma crew, at least that's from my experience in the semi biz.

However, I do agree a software update, 1.4.5 or 2.0, hopefully the latter, during the holidays. This should give a preview of what’s to come, and more importantly, I am sure the preware guys will find every new hidden function by digging through the code.

My thoughts, why not make a big bang at CES 2011, and release new phones/pads/netbooks/printers/video chat at the big bash? And have all of them on sale two weeks after the event? Or is HPalm trying to pull a Droid move like what Verizon did last year?

I think hp needs to take a step away from ces, and do an apple. Have their own press conference. Where they announce their computers, printers, phones, tablets, etc every year.

I strongly believe hp is looking at windows mobile 7 to see how licensing out your os while have tight control over it works. They can release their own products every year, but have a minor release from other companies every year in between. The minor release would have a minor system update, cause we all know palm doesn't like waiting a full year before having an update. It would feature a new/different hardware, but no knew feature/functionality that their own ones couldn't get through a system update. Like it wouldn't be the first to get something like a compus, but it could get a different form factor, faster cpu, more ram, different price points, etc..

Htc would love to do that, and it would put hp in between android, and Iphone. So they have their big bang announcement, but they also have something for everyone under a different name. Htc would love to do that

curious on where you get your information from? First with my understanding from my insider, the omap4 will be mass produced immediatly, as well as where did you get the information of all IPS screens where out of stock from all korean factories? So how is IPS screens sold out if a ton of manufatures are planning on releasing devices this fall like the masterpad running windows 7 using IPS screens?
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 08/09/2010 at 02:18 PM.
    TI shows Blaze tablet with 1GHz chip, pico projector | Electronista

heres a interesting article about the TI Blaze tablet running the omap 4 chip for developers at the end of this month. They state it would be suited for customers like Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    TI shows Blaze tablet with 1GHz chip, pico projector | Electronista

heres a interesting article about the TI Blaze tablet running the omap 4 chip for developers at the end of this month. They state it would be suited for customers like Palm.
    Can palm simply rebrand it, and add web-os? the hardware is amazing!

omap 4, 1gig ram, 32gb of storage, hdmi out, usb, sd card reader, hdmi out, etc...
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    curious on where you get your information from? First with my understanding from my insider, the omap4 will be mass produced immediatly, as well as where did you get the information of all IPS screens where out of stock from all korean factories? So how is IPS screens sold out if a ton of manufatures are planning on releasing devices this fall like the masterpad running windows 7 using IPS screens?
    I think the IPS screen supply issue was from a quarterly report somewhere, and digitimes reported it too sometime back, I know they are not the best of sources. I think the bottom the line was because the IPS display used in the Ipad sourced most of the materials and capacity of the manufacturers' lines, there were little wiggle room for additional orders of smaller IPS screens. Maybe the report meant, manufacturers are having a hard time meeting additional demand, and existing orders are fine.

As for the OMAP 4 supply issue, this comes from personal experience. Mass production is a relative term. When TI/Samsung starts "mass production" of OMAP4s this fall, it really means they are just moving out of pilot scale, and moving in phase 1 of the production cycle. New chips, being manufactured at the 45 nm range will take time to get yields up to meet the 3-sigma standards. If they want to start off at the 32 nm scale, it will take even longer to reach the market place. Once again, these just my speculations on manufacturability of the OMAP4 processors. Everything can be mass produced, it just needs to reach scale and yields to reach today's demands.
    I think the IPS screen supply issue was from a quarterly report somewhere, and digitimes reported it too sometime back, I know they are not the best of sources. I think the bottom the line was because the IPS display used in the Ipad sourced most of the materials and capacity of the manufacturers' lines, there were little wiggle room for additional orders of smaller IPS screens. Maybe the report meant, manufacturers are having a hard time meeting additional demand, and existing orders are fine.

As for the OMAP 4 supply issue, this comes from personal experience. Mass production is a relative term. When TI/Samsung starts "mass production" of OMAP4s this fall, it really means they are just moving out of pilot scale, and moving in phase 1 of the production cycle. New chips, being manufactured at the 45 nm range will take time to get yields up to meet the 3-sigma standards. If they want to start off at the 32 nm scale, it will take even longer to reach the market place. Once again, these just my speculations on manufacturability of the OMAP4 processors. Everything can be mass produced, it just needs to reach scale and yields to reach today's demands.
    oh ok I see your point, and that is true if manufacturing starts this fall your right we will not see it on the new HPalm device, if the device is still pit for a fall release. Unless HP has already behind closed doors started production of it into this new device already. That would be assuming the device is complete (where even my insider is stating hes seen prototypes, but dosent know if its in production as of yet). I also remember that Q report too, lets hope they do have either a sufficent amount of supply, or another manufaturing to help them mass produce the IPS screens. I guess we have to wait and see huh.....
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    On a side note. I know everyone wants new hardware. But I really wish devs would come and play with HPalm. Some of the apps on the fruit company side looks amazing, even with their "forced" interface, and "forced" notification system. I was playing with my friend's Reeder app, it looks amazing.

Devs, make kick *** apps for HPalm please!
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Texas Instruments' OMAP™ 4 platform debuts, revolutionizing the mobile Internet experience - News Room - News Center

TI states that production with begin 2H of 2010. I've been told that TI and HPalm have a deal with a quantity of chips. Their IPS LCD screens might have to come from LG or Hitachi. I don't think Palm/HP can wait till CES 2011. That would mean the launch for a new phone will be June 2011. They will have effectively trashed WebOS for a smartphone OS, which may be something they intend on doing. Everyone forgets the Windows 7 Phone will be release as early as October. If that does well, WebOS for smartphones will be like the Instinct was for Sprint.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I really hope these OMAP4 chips are not only directed at the Palm Pad, which we have more evidence of lately, and are used with the next phone. But hey, any new device from Palm would be great.
    I posted this in the General WebOS forum, but this should probably go here, too:

From Twitter:

From @Jabrilli:

RT @zhephree: Here's 2 screenshots: Notice the last device name and the last webOS version. Anyone feel like speculating? Here's 2 screenshots: Notice the last device name and th... on Twitpic

I cannot verify the source, so take this with a grain of salt.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The link is dead now.
    Introducing the new HPalm Pre2 RoadRunner C40 featuring WebOS 2.0
    it looks interesting though, and also someone else posted the twitter converstation going on from the devo of foursquare, who is the one who got the info I suppose. I wouldnt doubt thats the device, hopefully the roadrunner with webos 2.0 means omap4 chip inside, which I wouldnt doubt either. With the power HP has, and after speding 1.2billion on Palm and Webos, and knowing they need something this holiday season, I wouldnt doubt this next device (hopefully smartphone) will be something amazing. I have full faith in HP with the mindshare of different Execs from different company backgrounds, it will be something epic, and Ill sit and wait with my pre until that time comes.