Page 7 of 84 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
    I'm for a HTC PRO 2 design with a virtual keyboard for portrait one handed. I think this would be the ideal design, because the only reason it was not a huge success is because it was running windows 6.1. Imagine a pro 2 design though slimmer, a 1ghz processor, a landscape keyboard like the pro 2, 3.7 inch screen size (though stretching the realestate a bit more with a smaller gesture area which would be ok if you have a pre plus design that has no button). You would have a perfect phone in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    4th Gen Iphone is pretty much out thanks to Gizmodo. Palm, you have a two month head start to get your game straight. You know how HTC and google works with EVO (and under heavy litigation at this point), Apple's secret sauce is mostly public now (higher solution, OS 4, new design, etc).

Please put together a competitive package, and market it the crap out of it. Every critic loves Webos, hardware, on the other hand, is a mix bag.

We know you are short on cash, short on engineering talent, and short on developers. We don't expect perfection, but throws us a bone, and generate some buzz.
    I can't see a landscape keyboard fitting in with WebOS the way it is designed now. That is going to take some planning, and reworking the GUI a bit. Are the cards going to all flip and show more of them on the left and right or something? Will they go horizontal? Will the quick launch bar expand for more icons?
    Theres a lot of thought that would have to go into it and redesigning, testing etc. just to make it fit in.
    I see what your saying but its just using the acceleromentor to do so. Rememeber Web OS was designed to be able to manipulate and resize at any angle so this would be nothing but a simple code to do so. So yes the cards would flip, as well as everything would be landscape its not hard at all to do. Look for instance how easy it is to make a patch to add landscape to sms, mms, youtube etc the code to do it is not hard at all believe me even win moble 6.1 was able to do it for their htc pro 2. So no I dont think it would be hard at all. Also this way if you need a keyboard its a complete one not crammed, and can be used for long text messages, or emails. then if your moving or doing something you would have a portrait virtual keyboard.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    As a larger hand user, I find myself in the minority here. I would much rather have a landscape slide out keyboard similar to a HTC TP2 or Motorola Droid over the portrait that the pre has.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    I can't see a landscape keyboard fitting in with WebOS the way it is designed now. That is going to take some planning, and reworking the GUI a bit. Are the cards going to all flip and show more of them on the left and right or something? Will they go horizontal? Will the quick launch bar expand for more icons?
    Theres a lot of thought that would have to go into it and redesigning, testing etc. just to make it fit in.
    Agree. I am very happy with WebOS and how it handles my day-to-day operations on a vertical platform. If it were to go horizontal with the operations, it would be a bit difficult to navigate and I would see myself doing a lot of pinching to fit the app in. Plus, if I was walking around with things in my one hand, it would be hard to navigate as quickly as I would like if it went horizontal because I would need two hands.

Maybe allow more icons on the homepage and get rid of the launch button. I do give Android credit that it allows more information on the home page including weather conditions and more icons. Also tighten up the hardware and get rid of the OREO affect on the slider.

Overall I am still very happy with WebOS and still get the 'wow' factor from people when I show them the cards and multitasking. I just showed my phone at lunch to a Droid fan and he now wants to get the Pre for his wife. Normally I can't wait til the new phones come out but I can wait now because I am still very happy with the Pre and what it has to offer.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Hope (TM) Too little too late boys. I wouldn't buy another First Gen phone from Palm this year even if it was for 1 cent on Amazon! They had to have released the phone 6 months or 1 year ago and then I would have jumped... But they can't release another Build Quality (TM) bomb and expect all the disappointed base users looking to replace their existing phones because of Build Quality (TM) issues to ANOTHER first get phone! If it isn't an evolution to the Palm Pre and just another Reinvention of the wheel by Palm, then they can keep the phone. They screwed the pooch with the Pre...

HTC > PALM @ Build Quality (TM)
    So what would a second-generation phone be like, exactly? Something shaped just like the Pre/Pre+ but with a more solid build (better keyboard, more solid sliding mechanism, sturdier, more damage-resistant screen and USB area) and all-new-all-faster internals?

But then you wouldn't have a hope of getting a bigger screen (and the probably bigger phone that would result in), front-facing camera, removable storage card slot, HDMI output, and whatever else that people are drooling over the EVO for.

So I guess the question is where do you draw the line for a "generation"?
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    I am really starting to believe a new phone is coming out this summer.

Why was there never a thread on the C40 now popping up on the inventory order at Sprint?

C40 Order in Inventory-Boy Genius
    er, like someone commented on that page, and even earlier in this very thread, I think...I didn't see any Palm C40 in any of their three screenshots.

So where's there any evidence at all in that article/page that there's a C40 order spot in Sprint's inventory screen?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    awesome! I would just as soon them drop this with maybe WebOs 2.0, & make it available on multiple carriers at the same time to really push sales & avoid the rolling release pitfalls that the Pre had & it cost them sales! Technically, the new phone could be 4G for Sprint & I think that would suffice as exclusive- esp. if palm tosses some additional utilities for the 4G, and still offer the 3G flavor to the other carriers. Sales penetration is vital at this point & with Sprints 4G & monthly plan value, it would still attract added value for Sprint without hurting Palm's sales bc service quality varies quite a bit depending on one's location. I seem to get fabulous Sprint coverage & find AT&T & T-mobiles coverage horrible, but other's could easily say the inverse depending on their primary location of use!

I am dying for a new form factor w/ WebOs, and if the reports are on target about the next versions specs, I will have one of these in hand on day 1 of it's release no matter the cost! I can't go back to another OS after my year long love affair with WebOs!!!!
    I didn't go through the whole thread. I'm gonna be a serious doubter here.

If there's a new Palm device coming this soon why didn't we see it at one of the large shows? Not the Sprint flagship phone? Don't want to take away from the VZ and AT&T launches? OK.
    Why no leaks?

The C40 has been in Sprint's inventory for months. The Evo didn't make it until after leaks AND it became official.

Palm has to be aware that Sprint users are coming up on their 1year renewal, You'd think they'd want a device to get those early Pre adopters back into WebOS and not Android. *Hello, take a page from Microsoft and leak something.

Jon's comments about hardware taking time.

I don't see it happening this Summer. I'm hoping Winter but I'll be in a Evo4G by then for sure.
    I'd gladly switch back to WebOS given solid hardware, and software, 1.4.1.1 is driving me and my wife nuts with the multiple daily reboots.

Palm should be doing everything to win consumers over and I don't see them doing much in that regards at all.
    Sad WebOS is superior to any mobile OS available. I'll miss how fast I can navigate through open apps, when 1.4.1.1 doesn't mysteriously bog down for 5-10 seconds.

My wish list: 4" screen, no need for a monster size (:, vertical slider, the larger screen could afford a better slider design, choice of virtual keyboard for knocking out a quick message, better auto focusing camera.
    All that could be accomplished and it could still keep the sexy curvy black lines like the Treo Pro, Pre Pixi.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    If Palm doesn't announce something before the Evo 4G hits or current Pre owners hit their 1 year mark they'll miss their window. I'm willing to bet a large number of Pre owners will get the 4G. A Pre Plus isn't enough to tide people over.

I'll be getting an Evo 4G if Palm doesn't have anything to show before it hits, and despite how much I love WebOS I won't be switching to a new WebOS phone a couple months after I use my 1 year upgrade. Very few people would be willing to do that. They have to have a new WebOS phone announced with a solid release date if they hope to keep people from switching to Android.
    Palm is holding a mixer after their development conference ends on Saturday. Here is hoping that the booze makes someone leave their new development phone on a barstool.

but fr srs, i hope there is some sort of word out of the conference on the next webOS device. Like ya'll have said, they need to announce something before the Evo/1 year anniversary.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I have a feeling that Palm will wait until Apple announces the next iPhone in the next month or so.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Palm try and keep it low key and sort of surprise everyone like they did with CES 2009.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Oh and I found the page for their dev day this weekend. https://secure1.regsvc.com/registrat...-E1385AA7935C&

Intersting to note.
    and get a peek at what's ahead for webOS.
    I doubt they'll reveal anything big at it though. Probably just showing off how to integrate the PDK with Mojo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    Palm is holding a mixer after their development conference ends on Saturday. Here is hoping that the booze makes someone leave their new development phone on a barstool.
    That's what Apple did. Lost an iPhone4G? Yeah, sure. How about generating some early publicity?
    Jon Rubenstien should don some gloves and use a blurry cam to take video of the next Palm device then leak it to engadget personally.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    That's what Apple did. Lost an iPhone4G? Yeah, sure. How about generating some early publicity?
    Jon Rubenstien should don some gloves and use a blurry cam to take video of the next Palm device then leak it to engadget personally.
    What are the gloves in reference to?
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    What are the gloves in reference to?
    that's how some htc phone got leaked.
    The then Supersonic leaked video.
    It was referenced in post #12, the one linked from the front page article.

They may have surprised everyone at CES but it then took months to release the phone.
    If they really learned anything they'll announce and have alnost immediate shipment to retailers like Apple.
    Given everything I really doubt that could happen.

HTC buying Palm is the best that could happen IMO.
    yeah I don't think someone would "lose" an iphone 4g....
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Here is what I see (hope) happening.

Dateline June 1 2010'
    Top headlines:

Sprint closes deal with Walmart.
    Walmart agrees to 800 "store towers" in first 3 months.
    Verizon files for bank protaction
    Palm shows off new phone. It's called the C40+
    This time we don't have to wait. It is in stores NOW, in volume.
    The rumored C40 is called a C40+. This time the phone has 32g storage and an SD slot. It was going to have 16g.
    Apple sues Palms suppiers
    Wonder why everyone is selling off Pre's and Pixi's.
    Palm announced two other phones they are just like the Pre and Pixi but with bigger screens.
    RIM closes for June 2nd to have all RIM employees block Sprint locations and hand out free BB

Lastly, highlight all text above for the hidden best parts in white text.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 04/20/2010 at 10:02 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
Page 7 of 84 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast