Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1656616263646566676869707176 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1662
    Palm is trying to emulate Apple in not releasing any information before a hard launch but there is a crucial difference in that Apple always launches a new Iphone on the same date every year. Thus you only have to wait till then for a new phone while Palm is way past its yearly mark and people are getting impatient and some are switching to the latest and greatest. A leak for us ******* would be sufficient to have lusting after palm not HTC
    can we all put the "C40" to rest?
    whatever it was, it doesn't exist anymore, and if it does, by now it's way outdated in today's market.

whenever palm comes out with a new device, it will be loaded and have an improved version of webOS with mic and camera API's. There will be more big name apps eventually.

what more can a webOS user want?

I sense all those longing for a new device are on sprint with their original pres. For those of us with the plus version, life is good right now. We are only 1-6 months in to our contracts!
    c40: when? or if? or what? Vote here.

http://forums.precentral.net/future-...-palmkind.html

I am quite bummed with the zero hints thing - really making me wonder if it was sh&tcanned. The only positive thing I can think is a holiday roll out - BUT why on earth would you want to go up against WinMo7 and everyone elses holiday release? That is the best way for the 5th place OS to be LOST in the shuffle.
    Last edited by funkmeisterbrau; 07/13/2010 at 06:07 PM.
    It is frustrating nonetheless when I browse Engadget everyday to see a new leak or FCC filing about a new android phone or the specs of new Windows Mobile 7 phones yet the only thing we hear is "stay tuned."

Why not just shoot me in the foot and tell me to "stay tuned" for the EMS...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    now hiring...

Hardware Design Engineer
    Job ID 5117
    Job Location Sunnyvale
    Job Category Engineering
    Date Posted Apr 27, 2010
    Palm is actively seeking experienced and creative Hardware Design Engineers to help build the next
    generation smartphones to follow the Palm Pre. You will play a key role as part of the core
    product development team in jointly architecting and developing products, with the support of
    internal and JDM partner engineers, from inception to production. The ideal candidate should
    have excellent technical and communication skills, a proven track record in successfully shipping
    high volume and complex mobile phones or portable consumer electronic devices.
    As a key contributor on a product team, you are expected to take on the following
    responsibilities:
    • Ownership of the architecture, product integration and development for key subsystem of Palm
    product(s)
    • Drive leading edge features by working with key internal experts and external vendors on specific
    technologies and components which can benefit the product in meeting or exceeding product and
    market goals
    • Drive, manage, and collaborate with internal and external resources to ensure the successful
    execution of your product(s)
    • Ensure the product and/or your area of ownership meets or exceeds the marketing feature, cost,
    and quality requirements
    • Ensure the product design meets or exceeds volume manufacturing, mobile/cellular carrier,
    government regulatory, and environmental requirements and specifications
    Keys to Success:
    Palm is a dynamic, fast paced, and results oriented organization. We look for individuals that are
    passionate about mobile devices and the impact of mobile devices to the world around them. In
    delivering the next revolution of webOS™ based smartphones, we look for candidates that have
    the following attributes:
    • Passionate about mobile phone or consumer electronics products and is interested in
    developing the best in class next generation smartphone product(s)
    • Strong technical skills with broad knowledge of embedded/mobile systems
    • Committed to quality, timely execution, and team-oriented collaboration in the overall success
    of the product(s)
    Desired Skills and Experience:
    While we understand that different individuals may have different backgrounds and experience, we
    believe the ideal candidate should have the following. However, we will certainly consider high
    quality or high potential candidates that do not necessarily meet these requirements:
    • BSEE or MSEE with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience and/or have successfully
    delivered 3+ consumer electronic product(s)
    • Led the electrical engineering efforts around a complex system or subsystem from concept to
    production, including architecture, design, and manufacturing
    • Experience with complex systems requiring large hardware/software integration efforts
    • Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), including the use of tools such as email,
    spreadsheets, issue tracking systems
    • Strong organization skills and committed to collaborative processes
    • Experience with and working knowledge of high volume manufacturing requirements
    • Experience in managing external resources, specifically Asian-based JDMs/ODMs, technology
    vendors, production suppliers, etc.
    • Experience or working knowledge of RF standards/technologies is highly desirable
    • Fluent in Chinese-Mandarin is a plus
    Typical Tasks:
    We understand that successful execution may come in many forms. Below are typical tasks that we
    expect the Hardware Design Engineer to perform as part of their integrated role on a product
    development team. This is mainly for reference, and certainly does not represent the entire scope
    of the role:
    • Ensure JDM electrical engineering resources deliver to product specifications and program
    schedules through day-to-day working interactions, design reviews, and oversight
    • Ensure constant and clear communication with team leads, management, JDM partners,
    suppliers, and internal development teams and escalate important or urgent issues
    appropriately
    • Manage and coordinate electrical system development priorities and issues with team leads,
    JDM resources, and cross-functional teams
    • Prepare and drive early design, layouts, and product architecture
    • Ensure design documentation is properly produced and recorded from both JDM and internal
    resources by following Palm defined processes
    • Manage and coordinate the validation and testing of the product per specified product test
    plans
    • Actively review and drive corrective actions as necessary
    • Travel to JDM partner or vendor sites (typically in Asia) up to 25% of the time to ensure your
    product is on-track and per specification
    Haha, well there goes hope for a newly leaked device. Heh
    For those of us on Sprint, even a device that's similar to the Pre Plus would be acceptable. For the first two years, all Apple did was give a new device with more memory and little else. The Pre's multitasking has required everyone is the Smartphone business to step up their game some. If the next webos device had better hardware, a few upgrades, and additional processing speed and memory, Sprint Premier Pre owners would be happy to upgrade. We can upgrade every year so the fact that 6 months later something better is available on VZW or AT&T wouldn't bother us.

Current iPhone & Droid users on other networks have to wait an entire year to upgrade w/in their contract we could handle the 6 months. Most of us thought that, @ a minimum, we'd have the PrePlus when we could upgrade in 6/2010.

That hasn't happened and some of Sprint Premier Pre customers have jumped to the Droid. Those of us who haven't, just want HP/Palm and Sprint to through us a bone. It doesn't have to be a steak, a bone with a little meat is fine. Show us that you want to keep us early adopters, as well as, gain new customers.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I think the problem here is uncertainty. To a child, the statement "stay tuned" or wait and see is a good thing but we are adults and that doesn't really fly. Sure, the Pre is a GREAT phone but it is dated! For those of us on Sprint, it has been over a year. There is a reason why Sprint lets premiere customers upgrade after a year. They understand that with the way this industry moves and pushes the limits of technology that after a years time any phone would be dated. Yes, you can overclock and patch your Pre to speed it up and give it the features you want but again, uncertainty. Since nobody knows when updates will be released, we don't know how long that will hold(overclocking). It kind of sucks that while WebOs is the best Os it still doesn't get the support it deserves so we have to sit back and watch new phones come out, daily with features that we wish we had! I went through this with Helio, so I'm used to it lol. Just my .02 as to why ppl are getting annoyed with the waiting/secrecy game.
    Overclocking does help dramatically. I've been running the F102 kernel for a couple of months with no apparent problems whatsoever. However, it must be stressed that overclocking kernels are all alpha releases and still in development. Overclocking can void your warranty. Overclocking to 1gHz and beyond strikes me as overkill; "mild" increases up to 800 transform the webOS experience. If you've had your Pre for nearly a year anyway and you're having a hard time waiting, consider overclocking -- but read the threads completely first so that you understand what you're getting into.