Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
    And if you read his other posts, this guy is very, very accurate.
    What "Jackson" said is also partially backed up by what the CEO of Adobe said about Flash mobile coming out on a new webOS device in the latter half of 2010.

From Engadget : "Shantanu Narayen repeatedly tells us to expect new Android, WebOS and BlackBerry devices with integrated Flash compatibility during the second half of 2010"

I'm officially holding on to my Pre until this device comes out. Long live webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    As a reply to nimer55's request...

Jackson says...
    "It's all good man. I haven't actually seen this one. I've just been told a little bit about it. It is one hell of a lot more streamlined then the current pre. It's a physical keyboard and from what i've been told there are 2 designs for it right now. there is one with a portrait slideout and another with a landscape slidout. Both are physical. Screen is much bigger. Seeing that it was only 3.1" on the pre expect either a 3.7" or 4" model"

Jackson
    on the physical keyboard. I don't mind if they do a landscape, as long as they also offere a portrait. Those are both "requirements" for me on the next device, or I'm likely sitting it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    Hope (TM) Too little too late boys. I wouldn't buy another First Gen phone from Palm this year even if it was for 1 cent on Amazon! They had to have released the phone 6 months or 1 year ago and then I would have jumped... But they can't release another Build Quality (TM) bomb and expect all the disappointed base users looking to replace their existing phones because of Build Quality (TM) issues to ANOTHER first get phone! If it isn't an evolution to the Palm Pre and just another Reinvention of the wheel by Palm, then they can keep the phone. They screwed the pooch with the Pre...

HTC > PALM @ Build Quality (TM)
    A Pre 2 wouldn't be a "first gen" phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JosefTor View Post
    Here's to hoping that we also get a WebOS phone without the keyboard. Especially because the Palm Pre is built very horribly (I have not dropped my phone and it has the piece near the USB charger broken, 1 crack near the battery door, and a hole on the other side of the device.)

Most of the issues Palm and people have been having could have just been solved with a quality device that doesn't open and close (ex: less moving parts). With Swype coming down the line, touchscreen keyboards will be in hot demand and advertising for Omnia and swype is hitting local areas now.
    I've seen a design of a larger Pre w/ keyboard that I really enjoyed....

http://forums.precentral.net/future-...40-mockup.html

Solves the problem that [seems to] come from the curved slider, so they'll be able to use the slider that everybody else is using.

And the keyboard is still there for hardcore geeks who need a REAL keyboard to use Terminal, SSH, whatever. I highly doubt that swype is good for any characters outside A-Z and 0-9. Also, swype doesn't allow hotkeys to control the hardware instantly (altho, Palm's not really big on hotkeys at the moment, either).
    This is great news cause i have been checking out the EVO and am pretty jealous of its hardware, but am so in love with webOS that i would hate to ditch it.

Also, i gotta have a physical keyboard. i am interested in Jackson saying both a horizontal and vertical keyboard model are out there. Would a company offer the same phone, but in two different forms? i would think that could cause some initial confusion, but would still be pretty awesome. A good commercial could clear that up pretty easy.

All the other stuff needs to compare with the EVO and the new leaked/rumored iphone HD to even think about surviving against them...amazing back camera, front camera, 1+GHz, bigger/better screen, blah blah blah...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Palm has pride themselves on one-handed navigation on their phones for years. I would not expect anything different with the new phone whenever it comes out. I too have to have a keyboard to know that I am actually hitting the right keys. I have had many different keyboards and have gotten used to them over time. (even the small Centro) I love the form of the Pre and hope they keep that style but improve on the mech. If they go to a slider like the Droid, I will be a bit disappointed. The only time I really tilt the phone is to watch a video or play a game. Either way...keyboard is a must.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    am I the only one who is kind of hoping for a palm with only a virtual keyboard?
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I've seen a design of a larger Pre w/ keyboard that I really enjoyed....

http://forums.precentral.net/future-...40-mockup.html
    This seems to fit the basic description from the OP - and it's a terrific mock-up (Although I'd be perfectly happy with a 3.5 - 3.7" screen). I'd buy it in a second, as long as I had a strong sense that developers would continue to support webOS.
    Last edited by Bujin; 04/20/2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure Jackson is being fed misinformation. I'm getting some incongruent information on my end as well.
    this would definately keep me from the evo as i prefer the webos and this power is needed
    Quote Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
    Palm has pride themselves on one-handed navigation on their phones for years. I would not expect anything different with the new phone whenever it comes out.
    yeah i remember them talking about the one-handed navigation thing, but if they do increase the overall size of the phone, working it with one hand is going to become more difficult...especially if you slide it open vertically. It might just be too big to type on without holding it with both hands.

I havent been able to hold a Droid, but i think that adding a vertical slider keyboard to that would make it pretty lengthy and iunno how comfortable that would be to type on with just one hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    yeah i remember them talking about the one-handed navigation thing, but if they do increase the overall size of the phone, working it with one hand is going to become more difficult...especially if you slide it open vertically. It might just be too big to type on without holding it with both hands.

I havent been able to hold a Droid, but i think that adding a vertical slider keyboard to that would make it pretty lengthy and iunno how comfortable that would be to type on with just one hand.

Fast speed (4g?)
    Large, excellent screen
    Flash enabled

..............won't "one hand usage" be necessary???!!

dang, i forgot the /inb4dickjokes on my last post. haha
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Fast speed (4g?)
    Large, excellent screen
    Flash enabled

..............won't "one hand usage" be necessary???!!

That was a good one.
    i beginning to think that being able to use the hardware keyboard with one hand is overrated. they should have an on screen keyboard for one handed situations and a landscape keyboard for all else.

i say this because 90% of the time, i'm typing on this cramps keyboard with two hands... the only time one hand usage comes in handy is when i'm trying to universal search a contact, and i really wouldn't mind doing that from an on screen keyboard.
    As long as it remains compatible with the touchstone and other "pre" accessories I will be happy. Hate spend money on extra stuff, just to have it not work with my new phone.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Release this Palm!
    with the iphone leaked and the evo4 in the wild, why can't Palm one up both of them and release a 4g device first?
    Just get a MUCH better advertising team on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    Release this Palm!
    with the iphone leaked and the evo4 in the wild, why can't Palm one up both of them and release a 4g device first?
    and they need it, remember this:

http://www.precentral.net/palm-ceo-p...uarter-be-grim

GO PALM, YOU CAN DO IT!

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Ball is in Palm's court right now. What they do with it will be crucial. Since the EVO has been put out there, now the 4G iPhone has been leaked and now talk of BB 6.0 OS has been announced today, Palm is up to bat. If they want to keep Palm customers happy and sticking around, they better announce something soon otherwise or they will jump to the Evo when it comes out. Palm customers are loyal and will stick around if there is promise of a better future. If they wait too long to announce something, those customers that jumped and have upgrade to the EVO or the new iPhone in June will be stuck in contracts and will miss out. That is sales out the door that can't come back and all because they wanted to sit on their secret.

Palm...don't be dump and screw yourself like you did with the marketing of the Pre. Look at the smartphone market and keep up with the trends. Don't let them pass you by. Give us something to be hopeful about.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LVRealtor View Post
    I may be in the minority but i don't want it any "wider" (nor taller, nor bulkier). I like that the Pre fits in my pocket without making my "pants on the ground, pants on the ground"
    I'm in your camp. I get that having large gadgets to stuff an obscene amount of power at the cost of size appeals to many tech folk, but frankly I would love to be able to keep my phone in my pocket and not look like I'm speaking to a metal brick when I'm on the phone.

I don't really understand the whole push for virtual only keyboards. If you looked at the Pixi, it doesn't seem like Palm is sacrificing much in the way of space to put in a decent physical keyboard. I do believe the Pre's keyboard could have been a bit better, but I don't think that alone should be reason for going the I'm-Steve-Jobs-and-I-hate-any-and-all-interfaces-that-require-tactile-contact route.