Page 53 of 84 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1662
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I doubt HP or Palm would get into a patent battle. The only ones who would win are the lawyers. Both companies have such a vast array of patents across all types of electronics that it probably wouldn't be worth it to fight each other.
    Yeah, at this early of the merger I doubt they would want to do anything like that. The lawyers would win the case, but the company/companies would win time if they managed to stop the production of certain phone models, and even make the opponent completely remake their UI/UX/GUI, etc... which IMO it would be a huge win. No company of course has the same patents, but rather have distinct "differences".
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrude432 View Post
    the evo is in a class of it's own. There's 4g and 3g you can't compare no matter what. If you aint got it you can't compete. Sorry to spoil it for you. Epic is still lacking on the hardware end so I'll ask again...who is besting the evo 4g?
    epic4g is lacking??

besides t he 4.0 vs 4.3in screen how is it lacking?

Epic has SuperAMOLED vs evo's AMOLED
    Epic is 1ghz Hummingbird processor which uses a PowerVR GPU much like our OMAP3 vs evo's 1ghz Snapdragon (and our pre does 3D gaming better then the snapdragons do)
    Sliderkeyboard.. and a couple of other things..
    ^^ evo has an lcd display
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    Nokia hasn't had their own OS have they? It thought they used Symbian previously. They are having lots of issues with hardware patents however Apple and Nokia are really battling it out right now. What would be interesting would be HP choosing to exercise their new palm IP muscle against one or both of them.

Apple would be in real trouble if that happened.
    Symbian was spearheaded by Nokia, and was 80% Nokia content. It was created to keep Microsoft out of the wireless market. To do that, Nokia needed to create a consortium of handset vendors that had a vested interest in NOT adopting WinMo.

Eventually that became irrelevant (when Blackberry became the 900 pound gorilla), and Nokia bought out the other consortium members and adopted open source licensing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebizz View Post
    ^^ evo has an lcd display

oops.. my mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    that last pic looks a lot like card-view to me.
    I agree. Although, I wonder why they would replicate the battery indicator, signal strength, and other icons from the top of the screen for a card view.
    Oh boy I cannot wait for H/Palms next phone!
    Need a case or battery touchstone compatible? I just released my OtterBox case that works with the Touchstone. Check out the links below.

Some user feedback here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ouchstone.html
    Quote Originally Posted by lxAMNxl View Post
    Lol, but doesn't Santa deserve something good for once
    Yes he does which is why I hope the new phone hits before the holidays. Otherwise I'll be left at the mercy of a 7yr. old and a GF who is really ****ed that I went thru 6 phones before I got a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by lxAMNxl View Post
    You mean Symbian (ie S40, S60...) and Maemo? Well, Symbian wasn't completely their own if you put it that way, but they owned Symbian 80%+ didn't they? And then made Symbian open source, thus S^1 coming to existence. Do you mean Apple is having hardware infringements (ie not paying royalties to Nokia for using their HSPA tech or something like that)? or is Nokia having them? Well, HP has patents in respect to computers, not mobile right? If that were the case, then HP would defend Palm's "interests", however, why would they for right now if Palm hasn't shown anything good for HP to take into consideration?
    Apple would go down easily lol.
    Yeah that's what I mean, it wasn't Nokia's OS per se, but they did have a vested interest and paid for a large part of the development.

As for the Nokia vs. Apple patent lawsuits Apple has counter sued for a grand total of 13 patents, although (and I can't find the link) a couple of those patents could probably be overturned very quickly if someone decided to flex their IP muscle a little.

And I agree if HP decided to get into the battle, adding in Palm's IP Apple would be in serious trouble. While apple does hold a lot of patents across other devices including PC's, HP's portfolio reaches much much deeper. People seem to forget that HP has been around forever and through acquisition has swallowed up a lot of the early names in computer technology, and all the IP that goes along with it.

Not saying that HP is looking at getting into the IP enforcement business, but if they did they would be a very powerful force to deal with.

All the more reason for them to release some new killer phones, no one would dare sue them, their reach into the past is way to long.
    Last edited by modeerf; 06/30/2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Clarity
    so your telling me that you would rather game on 4" than 4.3". And hold a thicker phone at that. And hold on your complaining about a 1ghz processor. 1ghz=1ghz. It's like arguing about a 100$ bill that is crispy vs a bill that has gone through some hands...still 100$. Oh and before I forget I like the way you came to your boyfriends rescue...thumbs up.LMAO!!! And btw it's a wvga oled!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    epic4g is lacking??

besides t he 4.0 vs 4.3in screen how is it lacking?

Epic has SuperAMOLED vs evo's AMOLED
    Epic is 1ghz Hummingbird processor which uses a PowerVR GPU much like our OMAP3 vs evo's 1ghz Snapdragon (and our pre does 3D gaming better then the snapdragons do)
    Sliderkeyboard.. and a couple of other things..
    The next phone is bound to be basically the result of Palm's effort. You don't design and produce a phone over a couple of months. I see HP's efforts at that moment being channelled into reworking their Tablet to run webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrude432 View Post
    so your telling me that you would rather game on 4" than 4.3". And hold a thicker phone at that. And hold on your complaining about a 1ghz processor. 1ghz=1ghz. It's like arguing about a 100$ bill that is crispy vs a bill that has gone through some hands...still 100$. Oh and before I forget I like the way you came to your boyfriends rescue...thumbs up.LMAO!!!!
    Maybe they would rather have a 4 inch screen. The phone thicker because it has a keyboard. The 1ghz hummingbird processor is much more powerful than the snap dragon allowing for a better experience when playing games. And please stop with the childishness, it's really isn't needed.
    wow.........THERE IS NO C40! JEESH.
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Maybe they would rather have a 4 inch screen. The phone thicker because it has a keyboard. The 1ghz hummingbird processor is much more powerful than the snap dragon allowing for a better experience when playing games. And please stop with the childishness, it's really isn't needed.
    OMAP 3640 > Snapdragon.
    2nd (or 3rd) Snapdragon > OMAP 3640.
    OMAP 4 > 2nd (or 3rd) Snapdragon.
    Next Gen Tegra > Snapdragon Generations.
    Next Gen Tegra is greater than or = OMAP 4.
    1GHz = 1GHz
    Dedicated GPU (ie OMAP with SGX) > Integrated GPU (ie Snapdragon)

Or so that's my conclusion. Also keep in mind that it is not easy moving from Snapdragon usage to OMAP or vice-versa, it adds more time and money into it. Take a look at Motorola and their Android commitment. They have used OMAP instead of Snapdragon throughout their Android line-up. If they were to change it, then it would delay their future line-up for months.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I just watched androdcentral's droid x benchmarks and all what I thought of is how awesome the omap 3630 in the droid x would be in the next webos phone, this processor is 1 ghz ,beats the snapdragon and has the perfect graphics chip for gaming and animations , this is the perfect processor for webos!
    just curious as far as graphics go I have always been partial to understanding the power by it's bit count. For example my computer has an nvidia 512mb dedicated graphics card I know integrated is not as good as dedicated and I know the pre has a dedicated graphics chip. What kind of graphic power does this have in terms of bits? What about the omap4? I know the psp has 96 (atleast I'm pretty sure) not sure about dsi, 3ds, iphone4 or the others though. If anyone could shed some light on this info I would appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    just curious as far as graphics go I have always been partial to understanding the power by it's bit count. For example my computer has an nvidia 512mb dedicated graphics card I know integrated is not as good as dedicated and I know the pre has a dedicated graphics chip. What kind of graphic power does this have in terms of bits? What about the omap4? I know the psp has 96 (atleast I'm pretty sure) not sure about dsi, 3ds, iphone4 or the others though. If anyone could shed some light on this info I would appreciate it.
    Do you mean Polygons per second? or color depth bit? If you mean the first, then here's a list of the GPUs used so far:

- SGX530 (14 MPolys/s, 500Mpx/s@200MHz) for the handheld mobile market.
    - SGX535 (28 MPolys/s, 1Gpx/s@200MHz, Max Memory Band (GB/s) 4.2GB/s) for handheld high end mobile, portable, MID, UMPC, consumer, and automotive devices (Intel calls it the GMA 500)

SGX is usually used with OMAP.

The iPhone 4 has:
    Apple A4SGX535 + VXD375 + Cortex-A8

Snapdragon uses the AMD Z430 GPU which is inferior to SGX535 if I'm not mistaken. It is believed that the next gen Snapdragon with Cortex A9 will use a variation of AMD Z460 which is said to be 4x better than the AMD Z430.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaled93 View Post
    I just watched androdcentral's droid x benchmarks and all what I thought of is how awesome the omap 3630 in the droid x would be in the next webos phone, this processor is 1 ghz ,beats the snapdragon and has the perfect graphics chip for gaming and animations , this is the perfect processor for webos!
    while i agree that the omap 3630 would be great in a webos phone. i dont think the next phone should launch with it. if it were me i would launch it with the omap4430 minumum. why htc will be launching a phone end of year with the qsd8672 motorola would be launching a phone with the tegra2 or omap4430. the 3630 would be out of date and underpowered next to those. shoot im passing on the droidx because i know those power houses are right around the corner. and 1080p encode decode will be nice
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramurphyjr View Post
    and your point is???
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer