Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
    Rumor fuel.

Just got off the phone with a rep activating another line. He said "Wait till you see the next phone to replace the pre' "Thinner and wider, But the same style." Of course then I ask a question and he clams up with the "I can't discuss the details" line. I logged on here to see if anyone else heard anything and found this post.

Then my fiance brings me my mail and it's a flyer promoting Pre accessories and it says "Hurry, while supplies last."
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous340 View Post
    Rumor fuel.

Just got off the phone with a rep activating another line. He said "Wait till you see the next phone to replace the pre' "Thinner and wider, But the same style." Of course then I ask a question and he clams up with the "I can't discuss the details" line. I logged on here to see if anyone else heard anything and found this post.

Then my fiance brings me my mail and it's a flyer promoting Pre accessories and it says "Hurry, while supplies last."
    Seems a little weird that he'd even mention that lol
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I may be in the minority but i don't want it any "wider" (nor taller, nor bulkier). I like that the Pre fits in my pocket without making my "pants on the ground, pants on the ground"
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I hope this guy isnt snickering at his computer desk as he sends us all on a roller-coaster ride of salivating excitement.
    No, I completely trust this guy. If you go on androidforums.com, you can see that every detail he reveals on the forum about upcoming phones is very accurate. So, yeah, get ready for a big screened and slim C40!
    Well didn't the CEO of Sprint or someone say that there will be a dozen 4G devices by years end?
    I mean really how else will Sprint come on top again. If they have a years worth of 4G over Verizon and AT&T, don't you think they would release as many 4G phones as they can!

There definitely will be a 4G WebOS phone, The HTC Evo, The rumored LG device, Possibly a Samsung Instinct 4G with Samsung's OS, BlackBerry, etc....
    Sprint has been very consistent with their device upgrades and at this point they're going to do everything possible to surpass AT&T and Verizon.

Man I can't wait till my upgrade come this September :-D
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I sure hope the C40 is real and we do see something soon, it would be refreshing to see Palm in the news for a good reason!
    thanks for the update.. I'm really looking forward to that video.
    i just want everyone to kno, i friended palm a while back on fbook, and decided the other day to write a message to them, in the form of a discussion. basically it entailed me stating that in these dark times is when people excel to their true potential and bring us great things. i also said that i dont want to, and couldnt see myself using any other OS because WebOs changed the way i look at "smartphones". whoever it is that monitors the palm page aptly replied to my message with "Thanks Gordon. We really appreciate it when a fan takes the time to write a thoughtful message like yours. Don't count us out ". u can all take a look at it and see what i said exactly, just search Palm on fbook, then once at their page look under the "Discussions" tab, then my post is labeled "Dear Palm". but what i took from quick response, "Don't count us out " is that something is very soon to be on the way, and with the palm developer day this weekend, maybe we might here somethin? maybe still just wishful thinking on my part, but just figured i would let everyone kno...
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Young HoV 718, what do you mean by

Do you mean to say that they're all doomed? Like 'omg run to the hills it's 4GGGG!'?
    lol yea that's basically what he was saying. I spoke to him again today he claims there will be a new device by the holdays available. He also said something about a htc hero 2.
    I find... "new "breed" of webOS made exclusively for 4G." hard to believe considering that palm is in the notion to NOT create a fregmented OS.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'm trying to figure that out as well... might mean some exclusive features... Kinda like Mobile Hotspot was for verizon....
    Quote Originally Posted by LVRealtor View Post
    4g is not so sweet as some of you may think. Sprint uses Clear for 4g. I had their service when they first launched (pre-launch actually) and the speeds were all over the place--from non-existent to fast'ish. They let me out of my 2-year commitment. That is issue one. 2nd Issue, do you really want to pay an extra service charge for 4g? Aren't our plans expensive enough? And if you were complaining about battery time before...
    thats funny cause i had xbox live when it first came out and had the same problems. Hell my first cellphone had similar issues. I also had the internet when it first came out and what do ya know... it was less than perfect.

being the first on anything is gonna be rough, but if no one gets it early and sticks it through, it'll be dead before later comes. All signs indicate that 4g service will be unlimited in early on so i wouldn't worry about the price too much. Plus phones will have 3g and 4g radios so 4g battery issues will only be an issue when you feel like you absolutely need 4g speed...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    lol yea that's basically what he was saying. I spoke to him again today he claims there will be a new device by the holdays available. He also said something about a htc hero 2.
    After speaking with a local Clear rep, it looks like WiMax is the future, period. Apparently there are already chips being put in things like appliances, electronics, cars, etc., which marks the beginning of a new digital age. Think about in ten years or so, you won't have cable or dsl internet. Cable TV is fading away. Internet and network television available as standard options in vehicles. The web, internet and all associated technologies will be all around us, in the air, just like radio and broadcast TV are right now. No cell phone will be "dumb" anymore. Your TV and gaming console will automatically update firmware without you having to do anything. Your microwave firmware will be updated, adding new feature, overnight. A big part of the reason we went to digital OTA television is so those frequencies could be freed up for WiMax. This will revolutionize the way we communicate, and I just went over the home applications. Think of the possibilities with emergency response organizations, the military, and others.

Of course, like I said, this all comes from a Clear rep, so there might be some bias. But he did say they have a goal of reaching far more cities by the end of the year, so much so that I won't be surprised if WiMax surpasses EVDO coverage in the next few years.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    So, who's banking on WebOS 2.0 for the new phone? Between this and the promise of the PDK integrated apps starting in June I feel like my entire pre experience has been like chasing a carrot on a string. I love the phone but I always wan't more and they always have more just around the corner. I really hope the pre2 or whatever it ends up being called will finally just be right from the get go. Mature apps, mature OS, Mature hardware. Like the Droid and nexus one for android users.
    Well it's nice to start hearing some real rumors about the actual look of the C40. I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade to the Pre. I just hope it has an autofocus camera and front facing camera which it will need to be competitive with the iphone and future android devices. That is obviously going to be the new standard as all the carriers are upgrading their data speeds.
    Hope (TM) Too little too late boys. I wouldn't buy another First Gen phone from Palm this year even if it was for 1 cent on Amazon! They had to have released the phone 6 months or 1 year ago and then I would have jumped... But they can't release another Build Quality (TM) bomb and expect all the disappointed base users looking to replace their existing phones because of Build Quality (TM) issues to ANOTHER first get phone! If it isn't an evolution to the Palm Pre and just another Reinvention of the wheel by Palm, then they can keep the phone. They screwed the pooch with the Pre...

HTC > PALM @ Build Quality (TM)
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    The new "breed" of webOS exclusively for 4G scares me... does that mean we'll see a whole series of different webOSes based on device? I don't like the idea of a fractured OS like Android seems to be becoming...

Any thoughts?
    I suspect it will be very much the same, but with all of the underpinnings for 4g.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    4G is a marketing term, not a standards definition. The problem is that Sprint and Verizon are rolling out two completely different technologies that they call 4G. To cover just the CDMA side of things, phone manufacturers would need to include Sprint's 4G radio, Verizon's 4G radio, the current 3G radio, and everything backwards. Trying to fit all of this circuitry into a phone is going to be a challenge, so I would expect that the phone manufacturers will have modular radio packages for the different carriers rather than trying to create one package that works for everything. Of course, this means that your roaming options for 4G will be non-existent.....
    I expect that phones with 4g will have their "regular" cell radios inside as well, at least for a while.
    Here's to hoping that we also get a WebOS phone without the keyboard. Especially because the Palm Pre is built very horribly (I have not dropped my phone and it has the piece near the USB charger broken, 1 crack near the battery door, and a hole on the other side of the device.)

Most of the issues Palm and people have been having could have just been solved with a quality device that doesn't open and close (ex: less moving parts). With Swype coming down the line, touchscreen keyboards will be in hot demand and advertising for Omnia and swype is hitting local areas now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xacto01 View Post
    Why would Palm put a 4+ screen and increase resolution..... wouldn't the existing apps be blurry since their graphics are optimized for the current iPhone resolution?

You might say, "screen size is different than resolution" and I am aware of that, but would Palm want large pixels? IT just doesn't look good.

Anybody have an answer to this conundrum?
    The apps that follow guidelines are adaptable to different resolutions (much like the browser on your PC can display fine on different resolution screens).

Those that are depended on a lower resolution would likely just display with a border.