Page 45 of 84 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Man i hope they release some grainy pic of a new phone....i know this guy who had a pre from launch day is now moving to Droid...Pre's user base is eroding very fast now...since the new god phone has been announced
    Nothing they could really do about it with HP acquiring them, but going radio silent during the launch of Droid X, Evo 4G, and iPhone 4 - all flagship devices launching on the carriers that carry WebOS devices (and Verizon and AT&T pushing up upgrade dates) - is a really, really, REALLY sucky place to be.
    The Shareholders vote is just in 2 days (the 25th). I'm pretty sure something will get leaked as soon as the vote goes through
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Some people will argue that these people will eventually return.....no doubt hardcore techies will switch...but majority of people who jumped becoz they got tired of waiting and could no longer wait for the effing vote and radio silence wont be jumping back up until their contract expires next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    The Shareholders vote is just in 2 days (the 25th). I'm pretty sure something will get leaked as soon as the vote goes through
    They can leak whatever they like. The fact is, every domestic carrier they could sell it to has already launched or will launch within the next few weeks their priority flagship devices for the remainder of 2010. Lest you think the holiday season will be any less competitive, remember Microsoft is launching on multiple carriers thereabouts too.
    hoping for news soon, however what COULD be good is the new update, with lots of apps and big devs behind it, marketing push to iphone devs to make their apps for webos, and flash. ALL those things are almost here but not yet and if palm plays them just right, they might be able to keep a dim light on webos until they can light up the room with a new device
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hopefully it comes out before Q4 or else it will be ignored completely. The Droid X, Droid 2 are coming Q3. The "Jesus" phone from Motorola, HTC, and Nokia are coming Q4 ("2GHz" processor from Motorola and HTC), so where would that put the HP C40?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Don't forget Windows Phone 7, whatever RIM's got cooking, and all those cool looking Dell handsets we saw about a month ago. Where does this put the C40? I'd say joining the iPAQ on this page

Handheld Computers and Smartphones | HP Handheld Computer
    WP7 won't make a huge impact in the beginning due to lack of APIs and other stuff. The bad thing is that some companies won't be making any apps for WP7 until it gets a good update. But at least iPAQs are used in some corporations XD
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    when you got a hot girlfriend who isn't shy, video chat is waaaaaaaay better than a phone call.
    I have one. Still not interested.

I also read the list of supposedly great potential uses a few posts down from the one I'm replying to, and...I'm sorry, guys, but it was just "meh...meh...meh" all the way down the list. I guess I just don't feel like I need to see a 3.7" image of somebody on a screen to have a convo with them, even if it's a special moment with family. Or a special moment with my girlfriend, even: my imagination, with the help of her voice, has infinitely better resolution and screen size than any smartphone I'm likely to carry. YMMV.
    well its not an option you have to use, but its now going to be a mainstream feature since the evo and iphone4 have it here in the states, in Europe and Asia it comes on feature phones. its old tech thats getting to be usable finally here in the states.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Can you imagine if all the major players in the smartphone world put cameras on their phones AND they all had Skype? iPhone users would be able to video chat with Blackberry users, Android with webOS users, etc. This all on top of being able to video chat with all the other Skype users on desktops, laptops, TVs, etc.

If this happens, and Skype becomes a pseudo standard for video chat, I can see it getting a lot of use.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Well, Skype is opening up their development environment, so it very well could come to pass, Nick.

I wouldn't complain.
    I have come to realize that the next WebOS phone will certainly have a bigger screen. As these smartphones become more and more powerful and start replacing our daily computing all-together, the screens have to be bigger. The more we use them and the more things we use them for, the more it justifies them being bigger and bigger.

The day soon comes that if you want a super portable small phone, you don't want a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Well, Skype is opening up their development environment, so it very well could come to pass, Nick.

I wouldn't complain.
    I think we will see a WebOS Skype app before the end of the year. Palm said they will be adding Microphone support into the API in the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if Palm gave Skype early access so they could have their app out at launch of the new API.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Apple did it first?

Besides the ton of phones in Europe and Asia, the Evo came out first and it has video conferencing.
    I know, I had an evo, I mean so seamlessly in the OS. I know, I should have edited the original post.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    With the EVO, iPhone 4 and soon the Droid X coming out, there is nothing that is earth-shattering that will make me jump from my Pre. Sure they have a few new features and better hardware but 4G doesn't matter to me because it is not available yet in my area. (Denver) Bigger and better screen...not for me. To me, the size of the Pre is perfect. There is such a thing as too big. I can go and on but the Pre works for me right now. It was so far ahead of it's time that the rest of the field is now just catching up. (multitasking for the iPhone) I can wait for the new hardware to come out this fall or whenever because they will come out with something that will set itself apart from the rest of the market. Funny that when the iPhone 4 came out, they still compared it to the Pre which is well over a year old phone. Have faith Pre owners. Good things come to those who wait!
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I have come to realize that the next WebOS phone will certainly have a bigger screen.
    clever girl
    my biggest use of video chat is when I want to show something I want to buy to a family member before buying it.
    well with the aquisition officially in the 2nd week of july, that its pitted for, I opt for the rumors so far being true. I believe that they will be announcing a new device mid to late july, then launching a new device Q3 with a new version of WebOS on it on sprint. Rubenstein is running the mobile division, as we all hoped, and will be of course bringing over the C40 design with them, and putting the final touches on it, with a little bit of help and technology from HP and that big bowl of money. With the Iphone 4 launch not being so great, and with the problems it has had, WebOS can capitalize on it, heck they stated as I thought that the sales on AT&T were not bad at all. Also the android OS as shown is getting boring, why because there are too many updates in hardware in a short length of time, and a update to the OS that dosent do much to that same boring OS. Watch as you see a fully functional WebOS on a beautiful screen next to a Droid X, and a Iphone 4, and tell me people wouldnt run for it. All HP/Palm has to do is make sure the hardware (specs inside as well) is not cheap feeling, and looking, and they can hit a homerun.
    man, I can't wait until hp combines all the lego peaces they have just "aquired"!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    My guess is that Palm has the next phone pretty much finalized. They are probably just waiting for HP's deep pockets to front the cash to get factory production going. I can't imagine it's cheap to get a factory tooled for your phone and probably pay for a minimum of at least 500,000 units up front.