Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    Gonna spell out today's version of my dream C40, yes it seems to change that often.

- Front facing camera. Again, I can take it or leave it personally, but it's looking like a standard feature moving forward. Need to keep up.
    Does anyone else think that video calling is way, way overrated? The idea seems cool, of course, but in reality it's not worth the effort for the vast majority of your phone calls on a mobile phone. Think about the last 10 calls you made and which ones would be worth doing using video calling. Probably since it's a "mobile" device you're less likely to sit still and just make a call using a video phone. It's like using Skype the first few times - kinda fun, but then it wears off and don't bother with the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    Does anyone else think that video calling is way, way overrated? The idea seems cool, of course, but in reality it's not worth the effort for the vast majority of your phone calls on a mobile phone. Think about the last 10 calls you made and which ones would be worth doing using video calling. Probably since it's a "mobile" device you're less likely to sit still and just make a call using a video phone. It's like using Skype the first few times - kinda fun, but then it wears off and don't bother with the video.
    For traditional phone to phone phone calls yes i believe it is overated. but i think we can come up with many unique ways to use it. For example if CNN was covering a news story, they could use someone on scene, to give them a live feed, with videochat to the CNN computers and broadcast it over the air live.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    Does anyone else think that video calling is way, way overrated?
    Yup.
    when you got a hot girlfriend who isn't shy, video chat is waaaaaaaay better than a phone call.
    by the way, lol I bet the c40 will have flash preloaded lol
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    when you got a hot girlfriend who isn't shy, video chat is waaaaaaaay better than a phone call.
    My thoughts ( ) exactly
    video chat is still new so it's purposes seem cool more then useful, but so do most features in the beginning. Some ways this could be good include,

your talking to someone and haven't seen them in a while and want to see them but are always out and about.

missed loved ones, special moments with kids and family

business presentations while on site

breaking news all ins

calling 911 and being able to have the operator see what's going on to better assist you. (will be a while)

hot gf as mentioned above lol,

and in general, an easy way to show someone something while on a phonecall.

the uses for companies and business are very good as well as for family and loved ones who are far away. I don't use webcam on my laptop because it's limited to sitting somewhere but video chat on a phone? I'd use to speak to friends in fl I miss alot. I'd also use it to show people stuff when they call and want to see something.

I want this feature for it's functions not cool factor.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    video chat is still new so it's purposes seem cool more then useful, but so do most features in the beginning. Some ways this could be good include,

your talking to someone and haven't seen them in a while and want to see them but are always out and about.

breaking news all ins

calling 911 and being able to have the operator see what's going on to better assist you. (will be a while)

the uses for companies and business are very good as well as for family and loved ones who are far away. I don't use webcam on my laptop because it's limited to sitting somewhere but video chat on a phone? I'd use to speak to friends in fl I miss alot. I'd also use it to show people stuff when they call and want to see something.

Wimax clearly isn't there yet for those features to be viable, nor is LTE out yet. It'll be a solid 2-3 years before people start to use the full features of video conferencing on your phone without it being choppy and delayed.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Wimax clearly isn't there yet for those features to be viable, nor is LTE out yet. It'll be a solid 2-3 years before people start to use the full features of video conferencing on your phone without it being choppy and delayed.
    Wimax isn't there yet? Do you mean coverage? The demo I saw of video conferencing over Wimax on the Evo looked great.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I tried the video chat on my Evo, don't worry I took that POS back, I was on 4g my buddy was on Wifi, and it was so choppy it was unusable. I for one do not care is the New Pre has the video chat feature.
    true that may be a few years out, but if the device is awesome I'd like to keep it for as long as possible and know it can function when the feature is more mainstream. I'm sure right now I'll rarely use it. It's kinda like preparing for the inevitable future in which the feature will be wanted at some point and mainstream eventually
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    You officially just got me excited for video chat.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I just hope that the next WebOS smartphone is way better than what is currently out there in regards to hardware/specs and quality
    I want that dang retina display I know our phones are fine but looking at that high def iphone screen is amazing in pictures! The images look like they aren't real! I think that would be sweet for movies! Hell I hope we do em better with a 3.7 inch 720p res, but I think logically apple was smart because the res would not affect any of the apps due to the exact multiplication. The apps could simply use four pixels to represent one thus the user doesn't get distorted apps or have to wait. Anyway hoping my pre lasts that long
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I want that dang retina display I know our phones are fine but looking at that high def iphone screen is amazing in pictures! The images look like they aren't real! I think that would be sweet for movies! Hell I hope we do em better with a 3.7 inch 720p res, but I think logically apple was smart because the res would not affect any of the apps due to the exact multiplication. The apps could simply use four pixels to represent one thus the user doesn't get distorted apps or have to wait. Anyway hoping my pre lasts that long
    You mean you want higher pixels, the more pixels you have in a small screen the higher the pixel density isn't it?

breaking news all ins

Hi all,

I will be 55 at the end of Nov, that makes me 8 to 10 years old, for the 1964-65 World's fair. A T & T showed off a picture phone....from then on it has been the holy grail, of the telecommunications industry. (I was at the Fair a great deal, it was walking distance from my house and my Uncle was an electrician working at the fair. We got free passes, (we went a few times a week on some weeks)).

Who knows, it may be another BIG achievement in my lifetime.

(Although, I still love the paradox of my Grandmother, she moved here, from Russia, while there were still horse drawn plows, tilling in farms in upper Manhattan, (There still were outhouses in Manhattan), yet she lived to see man walk on the moon)!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    video chat over standard phonelines with an actual phone isn't new by a long shot.

it's just newish to smartphones.

I had an at&t videophone in my parents house back in the early ninties. We used it to see/talk with my grandparents who were sick and several hours away.

also france has had videophones for years, at least that Mr. Rogers episode from the eightys led me to believe so.
    What's everyone's deal with video calling? It's bound to happen, Apple has just decided to do it first. Just because it's not perfect right now doesn't mean companies should ditch it. Technology needs to advance somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    What's everyone's deal with video calling? It's bound to happen, Apple has just decided to do it first. Just because it's not perfect right now doesn't mean companies should ditch it. Technology needs to advance somehow.
    Apple did it first?

Besides the ton of phones in Europe and Asia, the Evo came out first and it has video conferencing.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Man i hope they release some grainy pic of a new phone....i know this guy who had a pre from launch day is now moving to Droid...Pre's user base is eroding very fast now...since the new god phone has been announced