webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Palm c40 info
Palm c40 info

Old 06/15/2010, 03:04 PM   #741 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krische View Post
the pre was announced in January. That FCC stuff is from May.
That's my point. FCC approval didn't come until well after announcement. It was announced way before it was really ready to share with the world, but Palm had to rush it to take advantage of that spotlight. That's why I said the CES announcement is a bad example of Palm being coordinated and stealthy at the same time.
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 03:11 PM   #742 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
That's my point. FCC approval didn't come until well after announcement. It was announced way before it was really ready to share with the world, but Palm had to rush it to take advantage of that spotlight. That's why I said the CES announcement is a bad example of Palm being coordinated and stealthy at the same time.
It is an example of them being stealthy, no one knew what they were up to until they revealed it to the world. It's just not an example of them being ready.
Old 06/15/2010, 03:22 PM   #743 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krische View Post
It is an example of them being stealthy, no one knew what they were up to until they revealed it to the world. It's just not an example of them being ready.
At this point in the world of WebOS, which do you think it's more important for HPalm to get right: Stealthy or Ready?

Which do you think they're closer to being in the next 90 days?
Old 06/15/2010, 03:42 PM   #744 (permalink)

Quote:
At this point in the world of WebOS, which do you think it's more important for HPalm to get right: Stealthy or Ready?

Which do you think they're closer to being in the next 90 days?
Honestly, stealthy is more important at the moment. They have to be stealthy so as to not to appear as altering their value before the buyout. If too much info gets out about their new hardware, it might screw up the HP deal.

Once the HP deal goes through, then Palm can be a little more loosed lipped with their plans. HP has been very clear that they plan to release WebOS hardware ASAP.

So it's not like if Palm doesn't announce anything in the next month, they are dead. Hell, 9 out of 10 people probably have no idea what WebOS even is. It's only the tech blogs that have given up on Palm. But once HP/Palm announce new hardware (assuming its the specs that's been leaked here) they will be salivating all over it and talking about WebOS again.

People seem to be forgetting that Palm needs HP way more than HP needs Palm. Thus, Palm is going to do everything possible to make sure this deal goes through. And if that requires being stealthy with future hardware, they will do that.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is some people need to take a chill pill. Palm is NOT going to announce new hardware before the HP deal is through. They do have new hardware in the works, both Palm and HP have hinted at it. It would be foolish to think that they don't. But they aren't going to announce anything until the deal is done in the next month.
Old 06/15/2010, 04:03 PM   #745 (permalink)

Quote:

But let's go with your scenario. Let's say that they have WebOS 1.4.5 ready to go for September along with a new device. Who's selling this? Not Verizon. Certainly not AT&T (just launched Pre and Pixi and need to move those) or T-Mobile (no interest and no recent Palm history). That leaves Sprint, who is committed to both the Evo and now the Samsung Galaxy S line as 4G devices......

I see this statement a lot, and I don't get it. ALL of those companies sell Blackberries. Its not like a cell service provider can only sell one line at a time. It will be up to HP / Palm to market the new device, sure. But, HP certainly has the money and gravitas to do so.

I have no opinion on the subject of 'when, etc.'. But, the idea that there is somehow no provider left to sell the damned machine is a bit silly.
rlee2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 04:08 PM   #746 (permalink)

Quote:
But let's go with your scenario. Let's say that they have WebOS 1.4.5 ready to go for September along with a new device.
http://www.precentral.net/webos-145-...-track-not-att

WebOS 1.4.5 should be coming out in the next week or two. If palm is releasing a new device, they will release a bigger update to WebOS as well. I would guess 1.5 or probably 2.0.
Old 06/15/2010, 04:36 PM   #747 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
I see this statement a lot, and I don't get it. ALL of those companies sell Blackberries. Its not like a cell service provider can only sell one line at a time. It will be up to HP / Palm to market the new device, sure. But, HP certainly has the money and gravitas to do so.

I have no opinion on the subject of 'when, etc.'. But, the idea that there is somehow no provider left to sell the damned machine is a bit silly.
They sell Blackberries because Blackberries sell regardless of the provider. WebOS handsets have produced underwhelming sales....regardless of the provider.

I don't see that as a flattering comparison.
Old 06/15/2010, 04:52 PM   #748 (permalink)

Quote:
They sell Blackberries because Blackberries sell regardless of the provider. WebOS handsets have produced underwhelming sales....regardless of the provider.

I don't see that as a flattering comparison.
Exactly. And it will be HP / Palm's responsibility to provide a quality piece of hardware along with a good marketing campaign. NONE of the providers will refuse to sell the devices. They will all sell any of them that they can get their hands on.....IF they are marketed and constructed well.
Old 06/15/2010, 06:26 PM   #749 (permalink)

Quote:
The only news that could be released then or shorty after is a vague press conference promising X new device "soon". There are no carrier agreements in place, no FCC approval, no updated OS to go with it, zero.

There's not even a firm date for the "major overhaul" of WebOS that Palm promised earlier in the year. No way is top-of-the-line hardware hitting without that, especially with a resolution change likely.

mikah912,

I don't think you mean to be a buzzkill, I mean you sound so rational and all in your "zero" comments and post. This is however a thread that is speculative at worst (most of us hang around here wishfully thinking ourselves into belief that a new device exists--I'm guilty), and at best, is a thread with some posts that may eventually prove to be credible.

That disclaimer noted, I'm not sure your negative speculation is any more credible than those speculating on a new device by early fall. Palm did announce new hardware. They weren't specific, true, but Rubinstein himself made the comment while they were still trying to get sales on Verizon and prior to a webOS launch on AT&T. Meaning, a specific announcement would have further hurt already slow sales of existing inventory. Unlikely in my view that anyone from Palm would have been specific given the climate for Palm at the time.

Additionally, Palm has been very specific with regard to software updates,
including a substantial overhaul due in the fall.

And with regard to FCC approval of a new device, well, those approvals in some cases have come within less than 30 days from an actual launch date. Case in point, EVO 4G's FCC approval on I believe 5/10/10 with a release date of 6/4/10.

I'm not the contentious sort, but while I guess I understand skepticism, your "no way... top-of-the-line hardware" comment seems perfect for this thread. That is to say, speculative (speculation of a different sort) at best. So while I admit to being a pie-in-the-sky wishful thinker when it comes to a new Palm device, I respectfully disagree with your entire post.

Last edited by mjrei; 06/15/2010 at 08:03 PM.
mjrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 07:22 PM   #750 (permalink)

Hey Everybody. Gather around!

I got an email from Jackson today, outlining upcoming 4g phones. The list follows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post

Any who, there are atleast another 6-10 4G devices coming to sprint by the end of the year.

Those that are known about are as follows.

1. Samsung Glalaxy S Pro- This phone is nice but it is by no means an Evo. It has a 5 mp camera, front facing camera, 4" high res super amoled screen, qwerty keyboard, 1ghz processor. It is slower thatn\ the Evo (different processor) and lacks sense UI as it comes with touch wiz which is very iPhoney. You are not missing anything out on this one. It will compete with the Droid and mytouch 3G slide. I will prob get this for my mom though who would be sooo soo confused with an Evo =] Q3 2010
Samsung Galaxy S Pro from Sprint

2. LG LS680- This is a device that was expected to be released at CTIA wayyy back in January, days before the "Supersonic" was leaked. LG decided they wanted to make it a 4G device however and increase the screen size to compete with, well the phone above, the S-Pro. It will come with a 3.7" amoled (i have also heard lcd but i have reason to believe amoled) high res screen, 5mp camera, qwerty, 750 mhz processor (unless this was also upgraded), android 2.1 (depending on release 2.2). They went back and tried to make it more like there prada line, it will have smoother edges though, and more than likely a silver color. Q3 2010

3. HP c40- THis was formerly known as the palm c40 until the company was bought out by HP. This device will be the first of HP's new mobile line featuring web OS. It will have a large 4.0 + " high res screen, LCD, 8mp camera, 720p recording, just an overall larger and better device than the pre. The time frame for this was supposed to be Q3 2010 but that could be pushed back to Q4.

4. Motorola MS400- This device was originally thought to be a windows phone but several sources have said that is has been converted to android. It will be something similar to the verizon droid X, but with a 4G radio, and a smaller size especially in height. Q3-Q4 2010

5. HTC SABOR- HOLY CRAP. Do you remember me talking about the HTC Scorpion, a rumored 1.5 ghz device? Well Sprint gave that one up. Sad? NOOOOO! Instead they are getting the HTC Sabor (code name ofcourse) that is a 2ghz device to compete with the 2ghz moto device coming to Verizon wireless!!!! THANKYOU SPRINT?! This change was recently made as this phone will be the successor of the Evo and will hit shelves either Q4 2010 or Q1 2011. This is all dependent on the moto release date. Be looking for an over 1000 res screen, android 2.5 (gingerbread), 2 cams one being a 10 mp, 1080p recording, kickstand =], HTC has also been working closely with parteners to develop their own version of super amoled and this will more than likely be their first device with it, as long as everthing goes according to plan!

^ I'll keep you posted on this one!!!

There are also several other but nothing has been leaked to me or the public yet!

!

What do you guys think. Sounds good? One of our sources, NitOxYs, have said the C40 has been scrapped, but since we don't know the actual name, we keep calling it the C40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
c40: castle 4.0in (c40).

This project was scrapped. FYI. c40 does not exist anymore.

Last edited by Soorma; 06/15/2010 at 07:50 PM.
Soorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 07:32 PM   #751 (permalink)

THAT MAKES MY DAY! thanks soorma and jackson!
DJPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 07:35 PM   #752 (permalink)

I hope it has a smaller screen because 4 inches is just too much more a cellphone. If they offer a 4 inch screens, a 3.6-3.8 inch screen phone should also be offered
the13th is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: rlee2001
Old 06/15/2010, 07:39 PM   #753 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13th View Post
I hope it has a smaller screen because 4 inches is just too much more a cellphone. If they offer a 4 inch screens, a 3.6-3.8 inch screen phone should also be offered
Agree, completely.
Old 06/15/2010, 07:40 PM   #754 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13th View Post
i agree, but at the same time i dont care how big it is; if its webOS im getting it no matter wut

2010-2011 Champions!

maxima2k53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by darkzone, djprelude, Soorma
Old 06/15/2010, 07:40 PM   #755 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
Hey Everybody. Gather around!

I got an email from Jackson today, outlining upcoming 4g phones. The list follows!

What do you guys think. Sounds good? One of our sources, NitOxYs, have said the C40 has been scrapped, but since we don't know the actual name, we keep calling it the C40.
wait, when did nitoxy say that the c40 was scrapped? He was the one saying it was an ips 3.7 display WITH a omap 4 1.2 processor.
Vyruz Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 07:45 PM   #756 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
wait, when did nitoxy say that the c40 was scrapped? He was the one saying it was an ips 3.7 display WITH a omap 4 1.2 processor.
According to him, the device known as c40 was scrapped.

The new device he's talking about has a different and as yet unknown code name.
idontwan2know is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Soorma
Old 06/15/2010, 07:52 PM   #757 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
Here it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
c40: castle 4.0in (c40).

This project was scrapped. FYI. c40 does not exist anymore.
But he said the C40 was scrapped, so this is another device. But since we never knew what the C40 was, it doesn't matter. We just keep calling this new device C40
Old 06/15/2010, 08:00 PM   #758 (permalink)
News Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
Here it is.

But he said the C40 was scrapped, so this is another device. But since we never knew what the C40 was, it doesn't matter. We just keep calling this new device C40
Well that takes back to my question, I wonder what we will be seeing next from Palm & when? Take care, Jay
Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
ilovedessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 08:23 PM   #759 (permalink)

"1. Samsung Glalaxy S Pro- This phone is nice but it is by no means an Evo. It has a 5 mp camera, front facing camera, 4" high res super amoled screen, qwerty keyboard, 1ghz processor. It is slower thatn\ the Evo (different processor) and lacks sense UI as it comes with touch wiz which is very iPhoney. You are not missing anything out on this one. It will compete with the Droid and mytouch 3G slide. I will prob get this for my mom though who would be sooo soo confused with an Evo =] Q3 2010
Samsung Galaxy S Pro from Sprint"

I'm sorry but the Hummingbird processor is anything BUT slower than the snapdragon in the Evo 4G. I'm seriously considering this phone when it launches next month if Palm hasn't made any announcements by then.
y2ktibltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2010, 08:48 PM   #760 (permalink)

so is it 3.7" 3.8" or 4.0" ?? Or will there be multiple webos devices? Can you please confirm soorma? Thx
concept1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c40, c40 myth, future

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0