Page 36 of 84 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
    very true, prolly 8pm after the agreement goes through a photo gets leaked and that hp ceo will respond 8am the next day saying that building a smartphone is easy lol
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Everytime I see "Jackson/Supersonical" or "NitOxYs" posts or references the proverbial green light of credibility goes on (for me at least). The facts may not be totally spot-on, but I think these two do in fact have the connections they claim to. Good news for us scouring the forums for info on a new device.

Best info in the last few days? "c40 was castle 4.0" which seems exactly right given the original Pre was codename "castle" and "q3 release of new device" which also seems right considering we've always heard Aug-Sept as a probable launch time.

Jackson and NitOxYs... Thanks! Keep us posted.

3.8" ISP dispay w/1.2 Ghz here we come!

sent from my Palm Pre
    Last edited by mjrei; 06/13/2010 at 11:08 AM.
    3.8 display sounds really nice ips is good I suppose? Not sure what it means for us as for the resolution, I'm curious how mux better a high resolution would look can barely ever see pixels aside from in games and that's with me trying to spot em. I guess things would look super sharp?
    If the next web os phone next year ( hopefully) is 4G then you will have to pay the $10. Every 4G phone will have the $10 charge on it on the Sprint network. But if its released on Verizon or AT&T ( Im beting AT&T) then maybe no charge. But ofcourse at&t and Verizon rates are more expensive then Sprint even with the $10 charge. Sprints rates are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    when it comes to sprint, cuz there is no doubt in my mind that it will, hopefully we wont have to pay a "10$ monthly convenience charge" for the phone. i mean i kno its convenient for sprint to charge us, but i think i could do without it... ha
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I live 45 miles NW of Orlando, so we have only 3G here. To S's credit, they have now added Orlando to the coming soon, 4G map.

I still have not gotten a straight answer from them, if the 4G will cover my area, as I said suburban to Orlando. If it does not, this area is rural enough that, we any get 4 G when the rest of country moves to 5G! LOL!
    Are you in Ocala? It might take quite a while to get WiMax up there from Orlando.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I live 45 miles NW of Orlando, so we have only 3G here. To S's credit, they have now added Orlando to the coming soon, 4G map.

I still have not gotten a straight answer from them, if the 4G will cover my area, as I said suburban to Orlando. If it does not, this area is rural enough that, we any get 4 G when the rest of country moves to 5G! LOL!

Take care, Jay
    you must be near deltona lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I used to live south of orlando in st. Cloud and would probably have gotten 4g when it released to olrando, however I now live in chesapeake virginia and have no clue when or if we will ever get 4g :/
    I know this is a little off topic but, how real is a Pre 2 coming out within the next few months? I jumped ship to the EVO and it SUCKS! Web OS is so much better in everyway. My pre is beaten up and I had phone envy Im going to return this POS as long as I am eligable to get back my early upgrade status, if not Im putting it up on EBay! Any ideas, can I get my early upgrade status back? Ill suffer with a beaten up Pre if there is a new on coming out in a few months. HELP!
    I was told that it takes 90 days but you should get your upgrade status back.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I was told that it takes 90 days but you should get your upgrade status back.
    that's what the store rep told me after I returned my evo. If palm's phone comes out before the end of that 90 days, i'll probably just call customer service and beg them to let me upgrade a little early. They did that when I got my pre last summer.

also, I was told that a official Sprint store manager can offer upgrade pricing if they want. They probably have more power than phone support.
    Absolultey. I was not eligible for the upgrade last year when I got the PRE but a manager I spoke to gave it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    that's what the store rep told me after I returned my evo. If palm's phone comes out before the end of that 90 days, i'll probably just call customer service and beg them to let me upgrade a little early. They did that when I got my pre last summer.

also, I was told that a official Sprint store manager can offer upgrade pricing if they want. They probably have more power than phone support.
    I was thinking of possibly going to the evo but I love webos and not a fan of android so I'm guessing I'm better off with my defective pre for a few months?
    I would stay with the Pre. Android is just about as bad as WM 6.x..
    Why did you return the Evo I was thinking about getting one but I'm not sure I don't know much about android but the gadget freak in me wants one
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    Why did you return the Evo I was thinking about getting one but I'm not sure I don't know much about android but the gadget freak in me wants one
    I really wasn't all that impressed with Android. I preferred WebOS in terms of usability and quality of apps. So I returned the EVO, and am waiting to upgrade to Palm's new phone whenever that comes out.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Just had an extended hands-on with an EVO this weekend. My good friend (geek like me) lent me his EVO for 2+ hours during a conference this weekend. Coincidentally he is a former Palm Pre owner. He switched to the EVO on launch day as his Pre was giving him some problems that I haven't experienced.

EVO good:
    1. Screen - Screen on the EVO is awesome. Very very awesome. Size seems like it's too big until you surf websites on it. Then all the extra real estate suddenly makes any smaller screen (which is everything at this point) seem small. The touch sensitivity was also incredibly good.
    2. Sense UI - Interface of HTC version of Android was very nice. The many customized widget screens over your wallpaper really pop, giving you custom info at a glance for all kinds of stuff. Also lets you launch apps, widgets, web pages, etc. within a few touches. Nice looking and really functional.
    3. Virtual keyboard - This one surprised me. The keyboard is instantly available anytime a cursor appears. For typing small amounts of info (web addresses, contact names, etc.) it seems faster and more practical than sliding out a physical keyboard. I was also surprised to find my error to accurate typing ratio seemed about the same as my ratio with my Pre's physical keyboard. Didn't expect this... I could see getting used to a virtual-only keyboard given the EVO's huge virtual keyboard.
    4. Hardware / Build - Let's face it, the HTC EVO feels and looks like it came from a some kind of super-spy think tank. Whether or not it is this well built remains to be seen... but it certainly feels like it is rock solid.

EVO bad:

1. Android OS/Sense UI - Good and bad. Yes it had nice widgets with most every app available within a few taps... BUT IT'S NO WEBOS! webOS for mutlitasking of many many apps and multitasking of many many notifications seems and is so much more advanced. The EVO is advanced in build and design. webOS is advanced in UI. Ultimately for me the experience is more about UI and less about build. Please Palm get us something built this well!

Conclusion: I'm still a Palm/webOS guy. The multitasking and notifications on the EVO seemed very limited. Yes you could do multiple things, but webOS is like an extension of one's brain on steroids. Android/Sense UI is like an extension of your regular brain. (My regular brain isn't that impressive.)

The only negative for Palm after the hands-on was that the Pre seemed really, really small to me after. Small in a bad way, especially the screen. CANNOT WAIT FOR A NEW WEBOS DEVICE!!! C40, PRE II, WHATEVER... PLEASE PALM BRING IT ON!

Note: A lot of people who know I'm a Palm/webOS guy saw me with the EVO. The comments were all the same... "Finally got rid of your Palm, huh?" And, "Oh you got the EVO? Awesome isn't it?" My response, "No, no and no!"
    Great review and probally my opinion also. But I will add that with 1 or 2 simple apps you can multitask as well as the PRE ( but not as simple). Task OS is one app. You just hold a button and all the app come up and you can go app to app. No different then holding the button and swiping app to app.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    Just had an extended hands-on with an EVO this weekend. My good friend (geek like me) lent me his EVO for 2+ hours during a conference this weekend. Coincidentally he is a former Palm Pre owner. He switched to the EVO on launch day as his Pre was giving him some problems that I haven't experienced.

EVO good:
    1. Screen - Screen on the EVO is awesome. Very very awesome. Size seems like it's too big until you surf websites on it. Then all the extra real estate suddenly makes any smaller screen (which is everything at this point) seem small. The touch sensitivity was also incredibly good.
    2. Sense UI - Interface of HTC version of Android was very nice. The many customized widget screens over your wallpaper really pop, giving you custom info at a glance for all kinds of stuff. Also lets you launch apps, widgets, web pages, etc. within a few touches. Nice looking and really functional.
    3. Virtual keyboard - This one surprised me. The keyboard is instantly available anytime a cursor appears. For typing small amounts of info (web addresses, contact names, etc.) it seems faster and more practical than sliding out a physical keyboard. I was also surprised to find my error to accurate typing ratio seemed about the same as my ratio with my Pre's physical keyboard. Didn't expect this... I could see getting used to a virtual-only keyboard given the EVO's huge virtual keyboard.
    4. Hardware / Build - Let's face it, the HTC EVO feels and looks like it came from a some kind of super-spy think tank. Whether or not it is this well built remains to be seen... but it certainly feels like it is rock solid.

EVO bad:

1. Android OS/Sense UI - Good and bad. Yes it had nice widgets with most every app available within a few taps... BUT IT'S NO WEBOS! webOS for mutlitasking of many many apps and multitasking of many many notifications seems and is so much more advanced. The EVO is advanced in build and design. webOS is advanced in UI. Ultimately for me the experience is more about UI and less about build. Please Palm get us something built this well!

Conclusion: I'm still a Palm/webOS guy. The multitasking and notifications on the EVO seemed very limited. Yes you could do multiple things, but webOS is like an extension of one's brain on steroids. Android/Sense UI is like an extension of your regular brain. (My regular brain isn't that impressive.)

The only negative for Palm after the hands-on was that the Pre seemed really, really small to me after. Small in a bad way, especially the screen. CANNOT WAIT FOR A NEW WEBOS DEVICE!!! C40, PRE II, WHATEVER... PLEASE PALM BRING IT ON!

Note: A lot of people who know I'm a Palm/webOS guy saw me with the EVO. The comments were all the same... "Finally got rid of your Palm, huh?" And, "Oh you got the EVO? Awesome isn't it?" My response, "No, no and no!"
  18. vpr
    I moved to China in Sept '06 and haven't been back to the US (once in 2008 for 2 months) so I've been watching this thread closely. I wasn't able to read these forums for the longest time due to an ip block (???) but now everything seems to be working ok.

Since I've been away that pretty much means I've missed the 'smart phone' craze... Never used an iphone/android/pre for any extended amount of time, but I've always had my eye on the Pre. I was looking into getting one here in China but decided against it due to the reliability issues (good choice for me probably).

I have to be honest, the iPhone 4 looks very tempting (remember I've never used one so it's fresh to me) but I have an honest excitement for webOs and want to use it, I just don't want to deal with shoddy hardware.

3.8 IPS + 1.2Ghz SD sounds good to me, but I want a more solid build with more metal instead of plastic. Here's hoping HP will drop some coin to improve the construction materials. It's either going to be an iPhone 4 or new Palm device for me I think. Not interested in EVO
    Just curious if you dont mind me asking. Do you dislike the EVO or all Android phones. ?.

Quote Originally Posted by vpr View Post
    I moved to China in Sept '06 and haven't been back to the US (once in 2008 for 2 months) so I've been watching this thread closely. I wasn't able to read these forums for the longest time due to an ip block (???) but now everything seems to be working ok.

Since I've been away that pretty much means I've missed the 'smart phone' craze... Never used an iphone/android/pre for any extended amount of time, but I've always had my eye on the Pre. I was looking into getting one here in China but decided against it due to the reliability issues (good choice for me probably).

I have to be honest, the iPhone 4 looks very tempting (remember I've never used one so it's fresh to me) but I have an honest excitement for webOs and want to use it, I just don't want to deal with shoddy hardware.

3.8 IPS + 1.2Ghz SD sounds good to me, but I want a more solid build with more metal instead of plastic. Here's hoping HP will drop some coin to improve the construction materials. It's either going to be an iPhone 4 or new Palm device for me I think. Not interested in EVO
  20. vpr
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Just curious if you dont mind me asking. Do you dislike the EVO or all Android phones. ?.
    Well since I haven't used Android I can't say that I dislike android (although I do feel it's too fragmented, similar to linux) but I dislike EVO because I think it's too large. I don't need, or really want to carry a 4.3inch screen in my pocket. 3.5-3.8 seems much more pocket-able and manageable... Again speaking from only viewing videos and such no hands-on time.