Page 33 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    I'm really interested to see how they handle 4G. If they include it, they basically tie themselves to Sprint (again). If they don't, they can release it on all carriers, but will be given an immediate disadvantage (in the eyes of the masses) to the Evo on Sprint.
    Not so true, they can have 2 radios in the phone like the evo currently does. It's has a 4g and 3g radio same would go for this potential new Palm phone.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Not so true, they can have 2 radios in the phone like the evo currently does. It's has a 4g and 3g radio same would go for this potential new Palm phone.
    I think he's implying that Sprint is the only carrier with a 4G network (WiMAX especially). So Palm would have to make another version of the same model without the 4G for other carriers that don't have a 4G network yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I think he's implying that Sprint is the only carrier with a 4G network (WiMAX especially). So Palm would have to make another version of the same model without the 4G for other carriers that don't have a 4G network yet.
    Exactly. I highly doubt they would release a phone on non-4G carriers with simply having the 4G radio disabled. I think that would be a major waste of space and cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Exactly. I highly doubt they would release a phone on non-4G carriers with simply having the 4G radio disabled. I think that would be a major waste of space and cost.
    what I was trying to get at is the phone would have 2 radios to begin with. So not disabling it but just not putting it in when it is reeased on other carriers. It's not like they would have to redesign the phone to work with 3g since it does that and 4g. Would be more difficult to convert a 4g ONLY phone to 3g. That's all I was saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    what I was trying to get at is the phone would have 2 radios to begin with. So not disabling it but just not putting it in when it is reeased on other carriers. It's not like they would have to redesign the phone to work with 3g since it does that and 4g. Would be more difficult to convert a 4g ONLY phone to 3g. That's all I was saying.
    What you're saying is completely valid, but I'm trying to make an analogy to how auto manufacturers build cars. They try to keep the number of variations to a minimum. That's why you have trim levels to choose from. To keep costs to a minimum, Palm wants to produce as few variants as possible a.k.a. one, unless there is a major redesign (Pre Plus vs. Pre).
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Since Android and HTC release phones every other month, it is very possible the Evo will only be on Sprint. Just like T-Mobile has the very similar HD2 and Verizon has the Incredible. Palms the one that can't afford to make different devices for release on different carriers.
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    I know this was pages and pages ago but:

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    While it sounds good my take again would be not to believe , 1. Apple has a patent on that screen technology so HP cant use it . So that alone tells me somethines amiss. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In-plane switching was developed by Hitachi Ltd. in 1996...
    And

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In-plane switching (IPS)

In-plane switching is an LCD technology which aligns the liquid crystal cells in a horizontal direction. .... This technology can be found in the Apple iMac, iPad, iPhone 4 as well as the Hewlett-Packard EliteBook 8740w.
    So HP is/was already using IPS screen technology in a laptop and poking around on their website it looks like they use IPS screen tech in their ZR22w 21.5 inch LCD monitor, somehow I don't think patents will be an issue. Now I do doubt that thy will have the high pixel density of the iPhone screen. But then again I don't care because my have horrible eyesight anyway (I get to choose what part of the bi-focals to look at the screen with )
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I don't get it. From Palm's developer conference sometime back, didn't they say the next major update to WebOS (1.4.5) will be in late summer/early fall? If there is new hardware, shouldn't they show off the new hardware and software at the same time, and release it at the same time? And I think the follow up release that uses css transitions layers will be during CES 2011. A delayed followup update could affect reviews and impressions. Just look at the evo, everyone was asking why froyo wasn't on it.

Also, it's likely HP will shift their "double down" on webOS onto other products, such as printers, tablets, their touchflow thing, etc. Didn't they say the Smartphone arena is not where they want to a stake a foothold because of strong competition from Google and Apple? HP's position has always been corporate sales. For example, my company buys nothing but HPs, I really dig the old IBM thinkpads, but I have no input.

I guess a holiday push would be beneficial for palm. Than again, hp has the option to can everything the last second, which I wont be surprised if HP sees that palm's offering to be in conflict with their perceived roadmap. Once again, more printers and tablets from HP.

Sign.....
    Last edited by nicekyo; 06/11/2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
    I thought that 1.4.5 was due soon, but the enhancements that they discussed were due in a future version that was a few months down the road.

There's a lot of impatience about a new device, but given the schedule, it's understandable. I expect there will be no announcements at least until after the shareholder meeting, and probably not until the sale finally closes sometime next month. At that point, there will either be an announcement, or deafening silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    I don't get it. From Palm's developer conference sometime back, didn't they say the next major update to WebOS (1.4.5) will be in late summer/early fall? If there is new hardware, shouldn't they show off the new hardware and software at the same time, and release it at the same time? And I think the follow up release that uses css transitions layers will be during CES 2011. A delayed followup update could affect reviews and impressions. Just look at the evo, everyone was asking why froyo wasn't on it.
    no, for webOS 1.4.5 about a month ago they said "in the coming weeks"...

http://www.precentral.net/confirmed-...pixi-webos-145

Late summer/Early fall was for other things that they were working on
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I thought that 1.4.5 was due soon, but the enhancements that they discussed were due in a future version that was a few months down the road.

There's a lot of impatience about a new device, but given the schedule, it's understandable. I expect there will be no announcements at least until after the shareholder meeting, and probably not until the sale finally closes sometime next month. At that point, there will either be an announcement, or deafening silence.
    agreed.

Nothing will be announced until after the transition closes, for business sake and more importantly, legal.

Palm could release a new device now, but honestly, with the stories that have plagued them in the last few months, why the heck would they? Yes everyone wants new hardware, but patience is a virtue and with HP finally behind them they'll make an even bigger splash
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    agreed.

Nothing will be announced until after the transition closes, for business sake and more importantly, legal.

Palm could release a new device now, but honestly, with the stories that have plagued them in the last few months, why the heck would they? Yes everyone wants new hardware, but patience is a virtue and with HP finally behind them they'll make an even bigger splash
    This is going to be a long wait: end of July = 49 long summer days. Time to spend more time at the bar watching world cup!
    This is going to be a long wait: end of July = 49 long summer days. Time to spend more time at the bar watching world cup!
    exactly
    great time of the year
    cup finals just finished up (huge hockey fan, obviously since I am canadian lol)
    now we have world cup
    enjoy the summer while it lasts
    bars.. patios.. beaches.. hot chicks.. that's the life lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    exactly
    great time of the year
    cup finals just finished up (huge hockey fan, obviously since I am canadian lol)
    now we have world cup
    enjoy the summer while it lasts
    bars.. patios.. beaches.. hot chicks.. that's the life lol
    summer has not yet come to good ole portland
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I'm concerned the Palm is taking way too long getting webOS completed.

The competition is passing us by.

We are still missing:
    GPU acceleration of CSS
    Voice commands and voice dialing (microphone API)
    Web browser page search
    Several APIs

These are all required components of any smart phone.

Also the auto late to meeting notices that Roger mentioned a year ago.

I have to wonder if it possible for even medium sized companies, like Palm, to have the resources to complete a new OS.
    Last edited by TomD; 06/11/2010 at 03:46 PM.

Also, it's likely HP will shift their "double down" on webOS onto other products, such as printers, tablets, their touchflow thing, etc. Didn't they say the Smartphone arena is not where they want to a stake a foothold because of strong competition from Google and Apple? HP's position has always been corporate sales. For example, my company buys nothing but HPs, I really dig the old IBM thinkpads, but I have no input.

I guess a holiday push would be beneficial for palm. Than again, hp has the option to can everything the last second, which I wont be surprised if HP sees that palm's offering to be in conflict with their perceived roadmap. Once again, more printers and tablets from HP.

Sign.....
    I highly doubt that Palm will wait for WebOS 1.4.5 for a new device. That should be coming this month or so. Most companies so shwo off a new device with a 1.x.x upgrade.

So if anything it would be 1.4.5 now, and then in July-September hear about a new device with either WebOS 1.5 or Web OS 2.0.

Which if you think about it ...it falls into the perfect timeline for the HP buyout, before holiday sales, and also in line with the rollout of updates that Palm has been giving us about every 2-3 months.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I'm concerned the Palm is taking way too long getting webOS completed.

The competition is passing us by.

We are still missing:
    GPU acceleration of CSS
    Voice commands and voice dialing (microphone API)
    Web browser page search
    Several APIs

These are all required components of any smart phone.

Also the auto late to meeting notices that Roger mentioned a year ago.

I have to wonder if it possible for even medium sized companies, like Palm, to have the resources to complete a new OS.
    I think there are many of us who share your thoughts.

Coming from a legal perspective, parties who participate in this merger can not contact each other during the due diligence process. Third parties, law firms + accounting firms usually take over. Typically, this prohibits the selling party (Palm) from doing anything that will affect the value of it's shares, either intentionally raising it or destroying it's share price. It also implies that senior management should stay until HP signs the transfer release, or they can't cash out their shares in six months. In addition, there are also anti-trust issues, which they recently passed. So it's best for Ruby and Palm to stay quiet.

Ultimately, once HP acquires 100% of Palm's outstanding shares (preferred and common), they will have the ultimate say of either releasing this mythical C40, or scrap it all together. Given the challenging market place right now, I hope Ruby plays his cards right with his new boss, and release it.

But long term prospects are not great, at least in my un-educated opinion. HP is a large company, and set in their ways, palm, on other hand, is run and gun style...
    I sure hope whatever processor Palm goes with for the C40 does not require them to underclock it by 100mhz like they've done with the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I highly doubt that Palm will wait for WebOS 1.4.5 for a new device. That should be coming this month or so. Most companies so shwo off a new device with a 1.x.x upgrade.

So if anything it would be 1.4.5 now, and then in July-September hear about a new device with either WebOS 1.5 or Web OS 2.0.

Which if you think about it ...it falls into the perfect timeline for the HP buyout, before holiday sales, and also in line with the rollout of updates that Palm has been giving us about every 2-3 months.
    Hi,

My hope is the next Pre, the PRE II or what ever it will be called, will have webOS 2.0 and will be out before the fall. At least I hope so!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If a device is ready they usually will not wait for say WEB OS 2.0 . Look at the EVO . they decided to not wait for Froyo and upgrade it later in the year. If a device it ready for WEB OS it will come out as soon as its physically possible.

And what is the difference in WEB OS 1.45 and 2.0 ?? just curious if there are some specs for 2.0. I have read something on 1.45 .