Page 29 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    So basically, w the proposed specs, its an Evo with webOS. Which is awesome. Had it came out around the same time as the Evo. Now it just seems to be playing catchup, not trying to pull ahead.
    Are you kidding? IF (and that's a big if, no offense to the people posting rumors, but you should always take this stuff with a grain of salt) they're true, the specs are way beyond the Evo.

The single-core A9 is orders of magnitude better than the A8, because of its out-of-order architecture. The OMAP4 series (and Tegra2, and pretty much every announced A9-based system I know of) is based on a dual-core version of that.

The Evo has a 1GHz Snapdragon, which is an A8-variant... faster than the OMAP3, but slower than the Apple A4.

The A9-based stuff should be a large leap beyond, even at slower clockspeeds.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Are you kidding? IF (and that's a big if, no offense to the people posting rumors, but you should always take this stuff with a grain of salt) they're true, the specs are way beyond the Evo.

The single-core A9 is orders of magnitude better than the A8, because of its out-of-order architecture. The OMAP4 series (and Tegra2, and pretty much every announced A9-based system I know of) is based on a dual-core version of that.

The Evo has a 1GHz Snapdragon, which is an A8-variant... faster than the OMAP3, but slower than the Apple A4.

The A9-based stuff should be a large leap beyond, even at slower clockspeeds.
    yeah the new omap4 is a BEAST! TI demoed it driving 3 displays with one of them being 1080p video!! That would blow everything else on the market out of the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    yeah the new omap4 is a BEAST! TI demoed it driving 3 displays with one of them being 1080p video!! That would blow everything else on the market out of the water!
    ...and probably blow any current battery out of the water as well...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    I believe it's suppose to use even less power than the current omap3.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Are we trusting NitOxYs?

He also said Sprint was getting the Pre/Pixi Plus by the end of May.
    He stated in this thread that the HP buyout changed Palm's release plans and that it irked Sprint. That's quite believable as there was quite a lot of banter about things changing after the HP announcement hit. And why put the Plus versions on Sprint right now if you're going to announce a new phone next month and release it shortly (August?) thereafter?

Of course, this could still all be bull, but it's also very realistic, and sounds quite likely. Ain't speculation just fun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Wrong, the omap 4 is designed for efficiency it is much more efficient than the omap 3 and tons more efficient than any other processor out there with the exception of the tegra 2 people have no idea anout tegra 2 or omap4 people should be salivating over these processors but there stuck on snapdragon which is nothing compared to these two.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    Wrong, the omap 4 is designed for efficiency it is much more efficient than the omap 3 and tons more efficient than any other processor out there with the exception of the tegra 2 people have no idea anout tegra 2 or omap4 people should be salivating over these processors but there stuck on snapdragon which is nothing compared to these two.
    actually the next generation dual core snapdragon is on par with those.. Less gpu power, more cpu power...
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    actually the next generation dual core snapdragon is on par with those..
    I believe that the dual-core Snapdragon is still an A8-based design. (Yes, I realize that Qualcomm's license for it allows them to optimize it, but still.) That means that it's an in-order chip.

An out-of-order CPU will be much faster per clock cycle. It sort of puts the Snapdragon at a pretty large disadvantage. Despite the dual-core Snapdragon being clocked higher, the A9-based stuff like the OMAP4 and Tegra2 should have much faster CPUs, in theory.

Edit: For a simplified explanation of what I'm talking about here:

To simplify, think of the processor as receiving the instructions one by one and putting them in its pipeline before executing them. In an in-order architecture, the instructions are executed in the order in which they arrive, whereas an out-of-order architecture is capable of changing the order in the pipeline. The advantage is that losses can be limited. If, for example, you have a simple calculation instruction, a memory access, then another simple calculation, an in-order architecture will execute the three operations one after the other, whereas in OoO the processor can execute the two calculations at the same time and then the memory access, with an obvious time saving.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,1947-5.html
    I believe that the dual-core Snapdragon is still an A8-based design. (Yes, I realize that Qualcomm's license for it allows them to optimize it, but still.) That means that it's an in-order chip.

An out-of-order CPU will be much faster per clock cycle. It sort of puts the Snapdragon at a pretty large disadvantage. Despite the dual-core Snapdragon being clocked higher, the A9-based stuff like the OMAP4 and Tegra2 should have much faster CPUs, in theory.

Edit: For a simplified explanation of what I'm talking about here:

Atom: In-Order and HyperThreading : Intel Atom CPU Review
    I did not know that..
    Yeah, though I should probably more strongly stress "in theory" because obviously nobody has seen final production versions of any of these next generation systems yet.
    Yeah, though I should probably more strongly stress "in theory" because obviously nobody has seen final production versions of any of these next generation systems yet.
    You can buy an OMAP4430 equipped device right here: SVTronics
    I wish I had a reason to tank two grand into a neat toy, but I don't.

Looking around at ARM's spec sheets, they seem to indicate a single-core A9 should match an A8 while running at 20% less frequency and consuming 50% less power. I can't seem to find much in the way of real-world ARM benchmarks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Sprint/Palm isn't like Verizon , leaving their stuff in locker rooms. Or have an Apple developer getting Drunk with a developer phone.

Don't worry guys, it'll all come soon.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    If it does have a Cortex A9 it should put all the lag complaints to bed.

If your info is true I am most excited about the keyboard. I already like the current keyboard and can only imagine how much better it would be slightly larger.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    So is this going to come out on AT&T or just sprint again?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    So is this going to come out on AT&T or just sprint again?
    no one knows
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

c40 = powerbook G5
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics
    16GB - 32GB Internal Memory
    Improved Vertical keyboard - Larger Buttons, better design
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    WebOS 1.5 will introduce a horizontal virtual keyboard.
    4G will be optional, but it will have the modem present.
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    This is very good news in light what the competition has been doing... namely HTC with the EVO 4G and Apple with the iPhone 4. (Let's face it, both of these devices have some very sweet specs.)

If these specs are accurate, and we all hope and assume they are, then I see really nothing that the EVO or iPhone 4 have on what will be the new Palm/webOS flagship device! Nothing that couldn't be overcome with os upgrades... except maybe the front facing camera... which is nice but they can have their front facing cameras for now if the rest is accurate!

And yes! These specs are on par or ahead of both the iPhone 4 and EVO in terms of either processing power, processing efficiency, hardware size and hardware component quality (battery / screen / etc)... to the extent that those abandoning webOS for a month or two of iPhone 4/EVO 4G sweetness are likely to regret the move! Good news for all of us webOS devotees!

Big time thanks for the info! Palm has been so tight-lipped about the new device other than Ruby stating "working fast and furious on new hardware." Reminds me of Palm's leak-proof days leading up to the original webOS announcement nearly a year and a half ago. Thank you. Thank you for this info. Love my Sprint Pre but the lack of RAM and Storage space have been killiing me! The rest of the spec-goodness is just icing on the techno-cake if you will. (I'm done gushing now.)

Equal/Better / vs. / iPhone 4 & EVO 4G
    1. 3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen! / vs. / 3.5" iPhone & 4.3" EVO (vs. Pre/Pre+ at 3.1" -- this is fantastic!)
    2. Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz processor! / vs. / 1.0Ghz A4 & 1.0Ghz Snapdragon
    3. OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics! / vs. / I don't know what... tech-wise this sounds great!
    4. 1550 MaH Battery! / vs. / Apple (unknown) & EVO 1500 MaH
    5. All the rest -- Larger physical vertical keyboard! 512MB RAM! 16-32GB internal memory! Finally RAM and internal memory!
    6. webOS! / vs. / iOS 4 & Android 2.1 w/Sense UI (nice but not webOS!) Not to mention a 1.5 update and the new PDK at large!

Missing / vs. / iPhone 4 & EVO 4G
    1. Front facing camera (nice but they can have it).
    2. 720p HD video, which if Palm's new device doesn' t have could it not be included in an OS update?
    3. Of note... You've got to hand it to Apple, the "retina" display is pretty cool... but by no means a deal-breaker. (Now I'm done.)
    Last edited by mjrei; 06/10/2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Tweaking
    To be fair, if Palm comes to market with a device that merely matches iPhone and Evo, but 4-6 months later, they will have problems. By that time HTC will be pumping out something even more impressive.

I'm not an internal hardware junkie, by any stretch of the imagination, but the handset will need to offer something no one else has.

If they can be first to market with an Arm9 based device, that would certainly be something to hang their hat on and get the tech blogs whirring.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    To be fair, if Palm comes to market with a device that merely matches iPhone and Evo, but 4-6 months later, they will have problems. By that time HTC will be pumping out something even more impressive.

I'm not an internal hardware junkie, by any stretch of the imagination, but the handset will need to offer something no one else has.

If they can be first to market with an Arm9 based device, that would certainly be something to hang their hat on and get the tech blogs whirring.
    No one in the consumer market will care what CPU is in the phone. As long as it can run WebOS without lag and has some nice bells and whistles it will be fine. Most consumers just want the thing to work they don't care how it works. I sure do hope these rumors are true though, I will be the first one in line if they are.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post

Maybe this is just me... and maybe I'm a Palm/webOS apologist... But aren't most of these specs being thrown around better? If not significantly better? And isn't the Cortex A9 / OMAP4430 something to hang your hat on? (As I've read, it is just that... Clocked up to 2GHz with significantly less power consumption than the 1Ghz Snapdragon for instance.)

I've been wowed by both HTC and Apple admittedly lately, but Palm with the new specs would be as good or better in the things that matter most in a smartphone. Palm's webOS, with hands-down best multitasking and hands-down best notifications, with this new processor (assuming the info is correct) are going to run circles around Android and HTC. And with Apple it will be the equivalent of arguing which is better, BMW or Mercedes (although clearly BMW is better)... Point being, these specs with webOS, an update to API's, update to 1.5, and best yet for webOS the PDK at large for all developers and apps will put Palm back as a serious contender.

I get your point though... but Android and Apple are both juggernauts at this point for different reasons. Android for Google and Google's proliferation of devices from every manufacturer under the sun. And Apple for, well, being Apple (knowing what people want before they know it themselves).

The masses will always flock to Apple's latest and greatest "whatever" and for good reason. Apple's integration of hardware and ecosystem of apps and entertainment are worthy of their huge following. "FaceTime" and the "retina" display are only going to perpetuate Apple's frenzied following. Android/Google will continue to gain or hold market share because of Google's viral approach to anything and everything. Palm is and will likely be an underdog still for a while. HP in my opinion, and the potential future ubiquity of webOS with HP's "doubling down on webOS" buyout, are unfortunately going to be what may get Palm it's share of Android's and Apple's pie, as much or more than anything Palm can or will do with a new device and hardware.

For now, I'm stoked with what I'm hearing about Palm's new device! I'm all in and I'm sure if these specs are correct, the tech world will respond enthusiastically for a good 6-8 months at least. After that all bets are off because of how fast things are changing and because by then, HP will have let the world know where Palm is headed.

Final note: Apple's "FaceTime" video calling and "retina" display are going to create a huge buzz for a good year or more. I don't think Palm/HP, Google/HTC/Motorola or Blackberry are going to be able to counter that buzz with any kind of hardware or software. Apple is the devil. What more can be said? Now, all that aside, I can't wait to get my hands on my new webOS device if these specs are correct!!!