Page 28 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829303132333878 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    What I'm much more concerned about is the actually Palm strategy with this new device. Will they again make the same mistake and just release it on Sprint and wait half a year before releasing it anywhere else. C'mon, I still think Europe is a potential market, certainly now it can be sold under HP supervision. That brand is big in Europe (not so much for smartphones but anyway), while Palm is virtually unknown by now.

I.e. I love the specs but I want it as a (European) UMTS/HSPDA phone soon after the Sprint release...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    dual, or single core?
    (if it's single i'm most likely going to wait t'ill the generation after since my pre runs at 800mhz)

is it gonna have gummy style keys? (i like them, they just need to be bigger, more spaced out, and much clicker)

Also, screen resolution would be nice to know. are they going 800x400 or 960x640? (8x4 would make it easier to port android games, and make online flash games made for android work on the pre to, but then palm looses the port iphone games in .)

and is there going to be a gyroscope? (thats huge for gaming, especially when your biggest competitor has it)
    Would webOS lose iPhone game porting? Just from screen resolution? Steve Jobs in his iOS 4 presentation noted that the old iphone apps will still all run on the new "retina" screened iPhone 4's. So wouldn't that then be true for lower res Palm ported apps?
    Last edited by mjrei; 06/09/2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typos
    NiTOxy's information certainly seems plausible to me.

I suggested in another post that PALM wouldn't do anything that could prevent shareholder's to vote for the HP acquisition, and a new killer phone could be one such announcement that could undermine that, so, best to wait until after the vote is over, BUT, they do have a window of opportunity to steal some of the spotlight on iPhone4, which will have been released a few weeks by then..

Announcing a WebOS phone with these specs will certainly attract media attention, and with HP's financial and marketting power waiting in the wings less than 30 days later, the device will certainly be taken quite seriously by the media and the industry.

I give this information a very high crediblity rating, personally.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

While it sounds good my take again would be not to believe , 1. Apple has a patent on that screen technology so HP cant use it . So that alone tells me somethines amiss. and 2 the A9 are not going to be used in commercial devices until late this year or 2011. ( I work in the mobil computing field . )I guess if the device is coming out next year then its plausiable but these specs dont seem right as good as they are. But from what I know from dealing with sprint ( we deal with all the big carriers) he was right they are not happy with Palm , been that way recently . so he did know that. im so so on this. But if we believe this one then we disregard the "Believeable: person last week with teh 4.3 screen. Or the one the week before with his source that was totaly different from this. All these sources have different info.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/09/2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    If I told you, I'd have to kill you metaphorically. First off, it's from someone inside Palm. Sprint Executives and top management already have tested this phone. If it proves to be false, which I highly doubt it will be, than boo me. I didn't even ask for this information, though I had planning on moving to the EVO.

Thanks for the info. Not that it matters but I'm curious: Do you have a sense as to whether your source was deliberately leaking this information (with Palm's tacit blessing?)
    3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics
    16GB - 32GB Internal Memory
    Improved Vertical keyboard - Larger Buttons, better design
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    WebOS 1.5 will introduce a horizontal virtual keyboard.
    4G will be optional, but it will have the modem present.
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    Awesome....thanks for the tip....something to look forward 2.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Are we trusting NitOxYs?

He also said Sprint was getting the Pre/Pixi Plus by the end of May.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Are we trusting NitOxYs?

He also said Sprint was getting the Pre/Pixi Plus by the end of May.
    Who know what is right anymore but at least this is plausible and fits with what Jackson said:

"The palm C40 is going to be quite the device. Naturally we are talking 4G and flash. The device will be "naturally simple" in harware as the pre, but you won't confuse the 2 phones haha. Bigger screen 1ghz processor and a new "breed" of webOS made exclusively for 4G. If you are a webOS fan this will be your dessert. Late summer/early fall 2010----"
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    not trusting these rumors at all. In addition to the fact that the Cortex A9 processors won't be showing up until the end of the year, as another poster stated, there's no way that WebOS 1.5 is coming out less than a month after 1.4.5. Also, the stated OMAP4430 processor runs at 720MHz, not 1-1.2GHz.

Then there's the statement that it will be released before HP considers whether or not it'll continue smartphone development, which isn't even under consideration... they're going to make smartphones, and that's never changed.

It's a nice dream, but I'm calling BS. Why do people keep making stuff up?
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    not trusting these rumors at all. In addition to the fact that the Cortex A9 processors won't be showing up until the end of the year, as another poster stated, there's no way that WebOS 1.5 is coming out less than a month after 1.4.5. Also, the stated OMAP4430 processor runs at 720MHz, not 1-1.2GHz.

Then there's the statement that it will be released before HP considers whether or not it'll continue smartphone development, which isn't even under consideration... they're going to make smartphones, and that's never changed.

It's a nice dream, but I'm calling BS. Why do people keep making stuff up?
    I agree that it is hard to believe all of this but at least he said that it would be announced in July, not coming out in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    Thanks a lot! Whether this is true or not - its made my day! I think the specs look fantastic and barring the missing front facing camera and noise cancelling mics, everything looks as good, if not better than the iPhone and EVO. The 3.8" screen is the best part - that would make for a perfectly sized device.

Cortex A9 multicore would truly rock!
    Why would it take so long to develop a mic API? Are there no audio guys working at Palm??? IMO this is ridiculous! They already have some lower level audio calls, or else the audio portion of video recording wouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Why would it take so long to develop a mic API? Are there no audio guys working at Palm??? IMO this is ridiculous! They already have some lower level audio calls, or else the audio portion of video recording wouldn't work.
    I believe it's because they've been waiting to implement some new standard technology rather than making their own. From what I remember hearing (I believe during a Palm developer relations recent video blog), it was a conscious decision to make long-term support better.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    Man do I hope so
    - acarback

aka Roots Up Development
    If that is true, I'd wake up at 4am to be 2st in line to buy that!
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    from palm's career page and was posted march 11th.

Sr. Multimedia Software Engineer

Palm has generated a buzz across the mobile space with the announcement of the Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus. The media framework team has an opening for a senior software engineer in the Web OS group. Media framework caused a huge amount of excitement at CES this year with the launch HTML5 media support and video recording, and the team is capitalizing on the achievements to further improve and enhance the end user and developer experience for media on the platform. The media framework team is responsible for the media experience in Web OS through the APIs that software developers use to provide media rich applications.
    We are looking for an experienced senior software engineer to work on media framework, media APIs and media policy.

this position along with a few other audio-types there.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    There have been statements by HP that says they are NOT abandoning the webOS smartphone market.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic View Post
    There have been statements by HP that says they are NOT abandoning the webOS smartphone market.
    And there's also staff members leaving left and right... And not janitors and such... If Ruby leaves, I'm out as well.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So basically, w the proposed specs, its an Evo with webOS. Which is awesome. Had it came out around the same time as the Evo. Now it just seems to be playing catchup, not trying to pull ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    Would webOS lose iPhone game porting? Just from screen resolution? Steve Jobs in his iOS 4 presentation noted that the old iphone apps will still all run on the new "retina" screened iPhone 4's. So wouldn't that then be true for lower res Palm ported apps?
    the reason that he current apps work great on the new iphone is that if there is one blue pixel, now theres 4. Now if ou where to go to 800x400 you'd have like 1.25 the pixels sideways and like 1.667 the pixels updwars.. Comared to 2x and 2x..

Sailing an app times 2 sideways and upwards (4x total) is easy,and requires no human work. But going to the 800x400 it requires some work... Shouldn't be to hard, but read the precentral article: game ported in 30 minutes...