Page 27 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031323777 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    omap 4430 listed @720mhz, I know things change, but....i want you to be right
    No. Look that spec up again. The Cortex A9 spec is what you're looking for. It can be clocked up to 2Ghz.

Edit: Some websites have TI listing the 4430 as 720Mhz. I'm was told that it would be clocked in the range of 1 to 1.2Ghz, perhaps he said 4440. He's not responding so, I can't quote him.
    Last edited by NitOxYs; 06/08/2010 at 10:10 PM.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    3.8" screen would be perfect for me, I felt that the Evo was too big and that the Incredible's 3.7" was great. Also, it would be crazy tough to use the drop-down menus with the slider open with a 4" screen, it's hard enough on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    No. Look that spec up again. The Cortex A9 spec is what you're looking for. It can be clocked up to 2Ghz.
    my spec is correct, it's the omap4440 that is 1+ghz
    The Cortex A9 is just the design. Texas Instrument's implementation of that design does not mean it can reach the design's maximum frequencies. The OMAP4430 is listed at 720MHz, but since its only been announced things are still up in the air. Still, an A9 is one hell of a design and will do very well against any of the A8 variants.

I'm going to hold myself at "reserved optimism" about your specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    The Cortex A9 is just the design. Texas Instrument's implementation of that design does not mean it can reach the design's maximum frequencies. The OMAP4430 is listed at 720MHz, but since its only been announced things are still up in the air. Still, an A9 is one hell of a design and will do very well against any of the A8 variants.

I'm going to hold myself at "reserved optimism" about your specs.
    To what do you attribute your 'reservations'? I have no idea what those specs mean, so I'd be interested in what you think are the pros and cons. (aside from what you just posted; unless you care to expand upon it)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    To what do you attribute your 'reservations'? I have no idea what those specs mean, so I'd be interested in what you think are the pros and cons. (aside from what you just posted; unless you care to expand upon it)
    The A9 is multicore and has never been used in a commercial device before (correct me if I am wrong). I thought I read that 2011 was the soonest that A9 devices were going to be made, but I don't know that for sure.

It would be a huge step for WebOS to get multithreading and other stuff on a phone with a dual core processor
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics
    16GB - 32GB Internal Memory
    Improved Vertical keyboard - Larger Buttons, better design
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    WebOS 1.5 will introduce a horizontal virtual keyboard.
    4G will be optional, but it will have the modem present.
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    doesnt apple have a patent on IPS touch screen technology? as much as i want to believe a new Palm device is coming just round the corner i think alot of the details are too fluid for anything more than speculation, even for sprint and palm brass.
    sounds great.
    whens it coming to vzw???

whatever the next palm phone is, I think a few things. It most definitely will have some type of physical keyboard. How else would "universal search" work? Click on gesture area and out pops a virtual kb? Nah, seems odd...tap gesture area, virtual kb pops open, screen gets small, where exactly would universal search results display? Currently google, wikipedia, contacts, and programs pop up....can you imagine how small the results display would look? So it will DEFINITELY have some type of keyboard.

re: the exodus of palm webOS designers...based on PC's summary of the linked in profile of the "father of notifications," sounds like webOS programming is virtually done for the next palm device, and will at some point include the microphone and camera API, as mentioned in the palm dev conf of sometime in the early fall, if I recall correctly. Be it webOS 1.5 or 2.0. However, beyond that things get muddy and I can only infer that HP may choose a different path for webOS that these designers either don't agree with, or themselves don't know and that uncertainty has them bolting for twitter,android, microsoft and apple. And of course money talks and it's entirely possible that HP wants their own engineers to expand webOS the way they see fit. I strongly believe that hp will let the next palm device come out as per the current roadmap, but have other plans for webOS after that. They most def were able to preview how webOS would work on their own current roadmap for tablets or printers, and that's why they purchased palm.

finally, last observation. This "C40" has been mentioned in sprint's system forever, but wasn't there also a pink pixi? What happened to that? Lately there have been leaks of various androids and bb devices on various venders inventories including att, vxz, radioshack, and best buy...not once has palm been mentioned. Either no ones looking/caring for palm devices (doubt) or it's still hidden. The c40 was mentioned over 6 months ago...if it existed wouldn't it have specs that would be outdated by now, in "smartphone" years? So whatever it is or was, it's not around anymore. Palm is small enough that whatever device they will release this year has been undergoing testing for a while, and it may or may not be with sprint...its out there. In cognito. And it will be released soon.

I can't imagine why else vzw, att, and carriers in other parts of the world are still picking up webOS devices as late as june 6 (att). They obviously want webOS to be a part of their portfolio for some reason...and I imagine that's because there a little something more in store....a new palm phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    All the specs from NitOxYs are, I would consider, in the realm of possibility. They actually look like the most realistic "speculation" I've seen. But, unfortunately, we don't have any proof or much reason to trust NitOxYs, so thus my reservations.
    The most controversial spec is the OMAP4. TI hasn't set any shipping dates beyond "second half 2010," so weather such a new design could reach mass production for Palm is a bit of a mystery.

Though, looking around, it appears the OMAP Blaze is finally shipping. It might be possible after all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Thanks. I was misunderstanding "reservation" to be that maybe those were not so great of specs, but were merely "good".
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    The A9 is multicore and has never been used in a commercial device before (correct me if I am wrong). I thought I read that 2011 was the soonest that A9 devices were going to be made, but I don't know that for sure.

It would be a huge step for WebOS to get multithreading and other stuff on a phone with a dual core processor
    The A9 based systems (not necessarily devices) are supposedly going into mass production Q3-Q4 of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lebaneseloyalist451 View Post
    doesnt apple have a patent on IPS touch screen technology?
    Seriously? IPS screens have been around a long time. Apple isn't the first manufacturer to use them and they surely will not be the last.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Thanks brain_recall, I didn't know they made that beast. Only 1999.99, I hope the next palm is nothing like that monster, aside from omap4.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'm looking forward to my new webOS device.

It will be a web connected inkjet printer that I wear on my hip in a large leather holster. People will ask me, "Isn't that kind of big for a smartphone?" I will answer, "It's the latest and greatest webOS device... Do you want to see how it multitasks?"

I will hit them with this one (it's killer), "Can your smartphone print? Like actually print? Pretty cool huh?"

Then I will finish them off by saying this, "It's smaller than my webOS refrigerator too!"

Seriously, size, scope, scaling, it's all relative. All perspective.

(NO SERIOUSLY: I have been blown away by both the EVO 4G and the new iPhone 4. WebOS and Palm still have it when it comes to multitasking and notifications... but... Let's face it, the c40 or whatever a new device is called... It has got to loosen of some of the reins a little. Screen size, device size (thickness), build, resolution, ram, expandable memory, speed... I want Palm to knock it out of the park. Hopefully that's what happens.)
    Last edited by mjrei; 06/08/2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    FYI: It will NOT be a Pre 2, ***]It'll "finish" the line up of WebOS phones until HP decides whether to continue development of their smartphone division.[b] Sprint will also be clearing it's inventory of the Palm Pre and Pixi, and will get remaining shipments of the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus.

Ummm... I certainly do HOPE HP decides to continue the Palm smartphone division! In fact I hope HP keeps the Palm brand as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I was also told it would have an 8MP Camera with a 2 LED Flash. No word on the front facing camera though. I'm going to assume that it does NOT have one, since WebOS will not have API's available until Late August / Early September for the Mic.
    8MP would be nice....although I think the quality of the lens, sensor and software have more to do with picture quality then MP these days. I hope HPalm does add a front facing camera. The lack of video chat feature if indeed it is 4G capable would be a marketing weakness imo.

Also, still wish Palm would integrate SD storage...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sprint will be getting the Palm Pre Plus and the Palm Pixi Plus by the end of May.
    Same person give you this info? Any new news on pixipre+ on sprint?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Same person give you this info? Any new news on pixipre+ on sprint?
    Yes, but the direction Palm took recently with HP, and the focus on the EVO 4G from Sprint pushed back releasing updated hardware. Right now Sprint isn't too happy with Palm, but they sure are happy with HTC. I was told that Sprint is having a tough time wanting to buy old hardware.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    NitOxYs do you know anything about future marketing campaigns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    with all the awards the touchstone won and all the accolades it got i doubt they will stray from the touchstone.
    Hi, I agree 101%! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    3.8" IPS Capacitive Touch Screen
    Cortex A9 1.0-1.2Ghz
    512MB RAM
    OMAP4430 - POWERVR SGX540 Graphics
    16GB - 32GB Internal Memory
    Improved Vertical keyboard - Larger Buttons, better design
    No MicroSD Slot.
    Gesture Area
    1550 MaH Battery
    WebOS 1.5 will introduce a horizontal virtual keyboard.
    4G will be optional, but it will have the modem present.
    This phone will be announced shortly before the closing deal with HP. Early July.
    dual, or single core?
    (if it's single i'm most likely going to wait t'ill the generation after since my pre runs at 800mhz)

is it gonna have gummy style keys? (i like them, they just need to be bigger, more spaced out, and much clicker)

Also, screen resolution would be nice to know. are they going 800x400 or 960x640? (8x4 would make it easier to port android games, and make online flash games made for android work on the pre to, but then palm looses the port iphone games in .)

and is there going to be a gyroscope? (thats huge for gaming, especially when your biggest competitor has it)