Page 24 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdavis55 View Post
    For the most part... someone leaks a handset about 6 months before it comes out....

You can bet any palm phone is a long ways out.... we would've seen it by now if it was coming this summer....
    Umm...so far Palm has been able to keep their phones pretty well veiled in secrecy. The Pre was a complete enigma before it's intro in Jan '09. Nobody had a clue. Pixi was a little loser, but not greatly so. Palm has shown the ability to keep their hardware under wraps when they want to, but we have already heard a number of similar rumors about the next phone/s. So the information appears to be leaking somewhat, but not enough to satiate most here.

If they don't have a phone on tap for release within the next 3-4 months, Palm is in deep trouble, HP or not.
    Like Falconrap has said, Palm has generally done a excellent job with keeping the unreleased phones under lockdown. I wish they would let out a leak though for some hope.

Dr.Grace, I said most of them are niches. I understand the important of enterprise emailing, and voice dialing is only important to the select few. While most people say they would like to have it, many wouldn't think of using it.

I hope the new device is called Palm Triton

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    That would be true if so many hadn't passed laws requiring hands free phone use - voice dial, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That would be true if so many hadn't passed laws requiring hands free phone use - voice dial, anyone?
    The people who talk consistently while driving (like business people) will most likely already have a bluetooth headset. Those who don't will not even bother with a hands-free alternative and break the law. Even if voice dialing was possible, you would still have to use your hands to hold the phone unless you use speaker phone (which doesn't work with cars unless you use an adapter or bluetooth).

Just presenting an argument. We don't have hands-free laws in SC so I don't know what it feels like.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I hope the new device is called Palm Triton
    Korg already has that series as its range of Pro Keyboards. Don't know if the trademarks will conflict...

I like it though.
    +1 The "Triton" has a ring to it. A three pronged weapon to go against the other 3 main players in the arena. Cool
    I was hoping for the release of a phone by august/september, but with a couple of post above me I would rather they do polish up WebOS enough that it runs smooth with no major, or annoying bugs (ala TMC, or random resets). As well as afix offical things like a Virtual keyboard, Docs, etc. If they can do that, or already have basic things atleast the errors fixed in the next couple of updates, then I say go ahead and release a phone by late summer early fall, then while that device makes some money for them, and keeps current WebOS users, and draws more in work on a mammoth of a product for next year. I honestly think though they need to release that device they have been working on this year, so that they can keep their WebOS euthisest, and the curiosity of the market while they prepare for the aquisition of HP. Stating that because waiting another 6 months or so they will loose not only current and future customers fast to the new devices coming, but most people will forget about WebOS since it didnt make a huge dent since it dropped. Remember people when the G1 came out people said death early too read the articles Palm with WeboS is going through the exact same thing, but what Google did was keep releasing phones periodicly, and people eventually (as you can see) got used to the OS, and started seeing the benifits of it. So I say release it this year, and keep marching on.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Just an FYI. The first time leaks started coming out about the Palm Pre was around January 4, 2009. Palm finally announced it on Jan 8. That's a 4 day gap. For leaks, that's unheard of! Such a short time. So Palm really knows how to keep a good secret. Honestly, I believe that when they announce it, it will be ready to sell shortly after. They learned from the past that the Jan announcement and June sell date was way too long.

So, you won't see any C40 or other announcements until it's pretty much ready to ship.
    I agree with bnceo.

However I still think that any new Palm launches in the next 2-3 months will draw strong comparisons with EVO and iPhone4 (or the upcoming Bold 9800). The Palm Pre was easily besting comparisons to iPhone 3G and even 3GS to some extent before it was launched. The hardware issues were discovered much later.

So Palm better have some USP's that really stand out against the competition - this time the bar has been set much higher.
    Last edited by abhinandanjain; 06/05/2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Remember when Palm launched their phone right before the iPhone 3GS was announced? It was a dumb move. But I wonder if Palm will try to snatch some of the attention from Steve Jobs this year by leaking an image or two of the C40, around WWDC?
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    I think it will show after wwdc and then a lil more weeks later. Then release in late june or early july
    Haha This might be the stupidest post that I do!

So, I like to look at the career pages of big companies because they sometimes reveal new products and ideas.

Here is a opening for "Senior Wireless Protocol Engineer":
    "As a member of the CDMA/EVDO protocol team, ... next generation of Palm’s smart-phone products
    Working with chipset vendors (e.g. Qualcomm)"
    ------------------
    What I was trying to imply was that a CDMA device (Sprint/Verizon) and working with Qualcomm (why not Texas Instruments?)?

A C40 powered by Snapdragon anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Haha This might be the stupidest post that I do!

So, I like to look at the career pages of big companies because they sometimes reveal new products and ideas.

Here is a opening for "Senior Wireless Protocol Engineer":
    "As a member of the CDMA/EVDO protocol team, ... next generation of Palm’s smart-phone products
    ------------------
    What I was trying to imply was that a CDMA device (Sprint/Verizon) and working with Qualcomm (why not Texas Instruments?)?

single core 1ghz wouldn't be enough.. Alot of users here have it running at 800mhz, and it's still not nearly fast enough. The update in fall will make it faster, but web-os needs something like the dual core 1.2 ghz processor. 1gb of ram, 32gb of storage, 3.7 inch screen, with a slide out keyboard.. Keep the ringer switch...
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    single core 1ghz wouldn't be enough.. Alot of users here have it running at 800mhz, and it's still not nearly fast enough. The update in fall will make it faster, but web-os needs something like the dual core 1.2 ghz processor. 1gb of ram, 32gb of storage, 3.7 inch screen, with a slide out keyboard.. Keep the ringer switch...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I disagree, the Evo is quality hardware with a great processor. It is just to silly-like big! If Palm could use the same type of hardware quality on their next phone with upgraded specs and the highest quality processor available, it will still be great. Just a move to the positive will help us all feel much better about Palm's future with HP.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    ------------------

This would break my heart. My reason why is I'm convinced that just a single core omap4(@700mhz) will run circles around a 1.5ghz snapdragon and have superior battery life. Now toss in a dual core(omap4/tegra2) and the dual core snap dragons are going to look pretty inefficient. If they go quailcomm I'll likely buy, but strongly consider the competition if they have omap4/tegra2/intel,moorestown.
    webOS needs some fine-tuning (but I love it any way), and the hardware has to be powerful, efficient, and well-built. IMO that would be a good way to help draw in more people to webOS.
  18. Bib
    It's very likely HP already influences the development of the Castle 4G (=C40? was the original Pre the C35?, the Pixi the P35?). Possibly just delaying it, changing the name etc, but not the overall concept.
    I'd bet the internal name of the new device would again come out of the fantasy domain. Maybe Stronghold

Actually I think the C40 doesn't have anything to do with the next Palm device. It's just sth that once popped up in sprints system, which might have been some accessory. Since then that name was used, whenever someone wanted to start a new rumor. Maybe even by Palm.

Sure is, the next device will be a high end device, which goes against the iPhone4 and whatever comes after the 1GHz Androids. The Evo is out and it got a LOT of attention. Potential customers will buy this stuff, so if Palm shows a new device in July, none will buy it. It's just too soon. They will wait at least 2 months, to make sure, there's a bigger customer base in need for a new device.
    The release date of the iPhone4 was easily predictable so Palm could plan the engineering process accordingly.

If I were to start a rumor I would bet on OMAP4, high resolution 3.7" screen, scratch/smudge resistant, horizontal slide out keyboard, no 4G yet (this is no mayor bummer, yet bad news always seem more credible), HDMI, 8MP camera, no video calling (has been there with 3g, was a big fail), to be expected in September (any later and they would loose even hardcore fans)

If the rumors are made up or not doesn't really matter. All of them could be reasonable guesses by bored fans. Palm knows what we expect to see. No big deal for them to start some speculations on their own just to keep us entertained and to slowly build up some hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bib View Post
    It's very likely HP already influences the development of the Castle 4G (=C40? was the original Pre the C35?, the Pixi the P35?). Possibly just delaying it, changing the name etc, but not the overall concept.
    I'd bet the internal name of the new device would again come out of the fantasy domain. Maybe Stronghold

Actually I think the C40 doesn't have anything to do with the next Palm device. It's just sth that once popped up in sprints system, which might have been some accessory. Since then that name was used, whenever someone wanted to start a new rumor. Maybe even by Palm.

Sure is, the next device will be a high end device, which goes against the iPhone4 and whatever comes after the 1GHz Androids. The Evo is out and it got a LOT of attention. Potential customers will buy this stuff, so if Palm shows a new device in July, none will buy it. It's just too soon. They will wait at least 2 months, to make sure, there's a bigger customer base in need for a new device.
    The release date of the iPhone4 was easily predictable so Palm could plan the engineering process accordingly.

If I were to start a rumor I would bet on OMAP4, high resolution 3.7" screen, scratch/smudge resistant, horizontal slide out keyboard, no 4G yet (this is no mayor bummer, yet bad news always seem more credible), HDMI, 8MP camera, no video calling (has been there with 3g, was a big fail), to be expected in September (any later and they would loose even hardcore fans)

If the rumors are made up or not doesn't really matter. All of them could be reasonable guesses by bored fans. Palm knows what we expect to see. No big deal for them to start some speculations on their own just to keep us entertained and to slowly build up some hype.

I agree with this post, though I believe it will be 4G enabled as well, due to having it capable where available. I do believe the timetable, and expect to hear something crediable in the next month or two via screen shots and release dates.
    Hey Everybody!

SO, today I went through all of the posts that people have made about a new Palm device. I can see a pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    I was on BGR telling it like it is about this blackberry slider rip off of our Palm pre when a so called Sprint employee comes in and talk about Palm upcoming phone.

Next up after the evo launch its palm again and im not gonna say any name but the 4g webos phone is pure innovation.. i havent touched it yet but the specs and the pics thats floating around this campus show pure innovation i have to give it up to Rubenstein he is a exellent engineer. youll see come july.. peace out guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Guy I trust at my Sprint Corp store has said new 4G device this fall...but didn't give me any details re: form factor or specs.
    I will add more as I find them since the threads really go off-topic and I'm running out of time

And the rest in this thread all point to a July/August release date. I'm excited!