Page 23 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    One BIG problem with that:

Sprint launching Motorola i1, Samsung Intercept, 4G in more markets Boy Genius Report

BGR got a scan of the internal doc with Sprint's incoming launches. No mention of any Palm device whatsoever. And this thing mentions a new Samsung Moment with the internal name no one else has seen before that recently passed the FCC, so it's legit.

There will be no new devices until after HP finishes acquisition, and then at that point, there still may not be any for some time. HP is clearly in no rush whatsoever. Smartphones are not their priority with WebOS.

Yeah this is what im talking about. Proved my point. Im still saying 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by seven2k View Post
    Yeah this is what im talking about. Proved my point. Im still saying 2011.
    Well, they're starting from square one in August. There are probably reference designs to go from, but then it's gotta be manufactured, carrier agreements have to be made, and then it has to be tested.

2011 sounds about right to me, too.
    I dont expect anything until mid 2011 at best. I do expect a nice slate and some updates to WEBOS for the Pre Plus.
    Let's not forget that one of the last public interviews with Jon Rubenstein just before the HP news, he said "We are working fast and furious on new hardware!" I doubt he'd say this if they weren't going to get anything out this year..
    Well maybe he has enough sense to license it for phone use only to someone with cajones and vision.

If it works - good for all of them. If it dosn't, his limited vision stays intact and he can say I told you so. If nothing else they will learn something - unless the c40 was a tablet all along ?

c40 phone? if so - why not release under Palm as a test balloon - if it falls super flat - you did not hurt yourself. IT BOGGLES MY MIND THAT THEY CANNOT BE IN THE PHONE BIZ W WEBOS. In time it will be less about who got the head start and MORE about who is more creative AND has the "eco system" ie google and apple should have been toast long ago ... but for
    Last edited by funkmeisterbrau; 06/03/2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Well, they're starting from square one in August. There are probably reference designs to go from, but then it's gotta be manufactured, carrier agreements have to be made, and then it has to be tested.

2011 sounds about right to me, too.
    Selfish Lou says, Being that I'm getting some new phone on Friday, I am not offended by 2011 as the date. That will allow me to get some good use out of the new phone then upgrade to the Pre2 and maybe even get my upgrade price.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Let's not forget that one of the last public interviews with Jon Rubenstein just before the HP news, he said "We are working fast and furious on new hardware!" I doubt he'd say this if they weren't going to get anything out this year..
    Not really his call anymore, is it?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I wouldn't expect anything this Summer, especially given prior comments from Palm on WebOS software updates expected later this summer. However I also think mid 2011 is too far out. I would expect to see something late fall/early winter - just prior to the Holiday season.

HP-Palm won't exactly be "starting from square one" in August - there is a transition period following acquisitions yes, but there is also a continuation of the acquired company's prior activities, unless of course the acquired business was purchased simply to eliminate a competitor, not the case here. I can't see HP throwing away a year or so of the development work Palm has no doubt already done for a next gen device - OS 2.0 updates, hardware, carrier specs etc... I do see HP tinkering/reworking some "already finished or near complete issues" such as hardware build quality and new carrier agreements which would likely delay a release. While a device pre-acquisition may have been released in Aug/Sept time frame I expect it will be delayed a couple of months as HP ensures the device is up to their standards of quality.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    If Palm has a new cutting edge device ready for prime time, I doubt that HP would shut it down. Maybe they're just better at keeping secrets than everyone else! I expect an announcement of a new device very shortly after the acquisition.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Not very familiar with the law are you. Rube is obligated to continue to look after the shareholders' value until the sale is accepted. HP doesn't currently have the right to tell Palm to do anything, though Palm is obligated to protect it's value.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Not very familiar with the law are you. Rube is obligated to continue to look after the shareholders' value until the sale is accepted. HP doesn't currently have the right to tell Palm to do anything, though Palm is obligated to protect it's value.
    Aaaaaaaand this is meaningless since no amount of fast and furious work from Rubinstein and company can launch a device with no money.

When the money appears, so does HP's control along with HP's choice of branding and design demands. But I'm sure they spent a billion plus dollars because they thought Palm should stay the course on the hardware front and keep releasing handsets that fail across multiple carriers...
    Since when is half a billion dollars cash on hand equal no money? They had plans to launch more phones all along. The issues with the Verizon launch simply made it more problematic. They long since stated they had the ability to continue through the rest of the year.

But, as I mentioned in response to your other post, Rubinstein is still calling the shots at Palm, and apparently will continue to, even under HP, though, obviously, HP will be driving the bigger picture (interconnected devices throughout the corporate world and in consumers' homes).

If the information from ajac is to be believed, it would appear a phone is already on it's way. There has already been a number of various sources saying they would release another phone or two during the next couple of months. Palm is pretty good at keeping secrets, though.
    UGH... I can't believe the conjecture here.

JR is in charge of PALM now, and will be until it is sold; remember, there are still hurdles to jump before the sale is final. they just cleared the FTC, for one.

Does JR listen to and coordinate his current efforts with HP, even before the sale? Of course, but, make no mistake about it, every thing he does as PALM CEO must have the shareholders at PALM as the primary beneficiary; thats the law.

And, on future smartphones... it will take a while before HP can really get total integral control over PALM.. they will have to watch learn and then change as needed. Inasmuch, the pipeline JR talked about is quite likely very much on track as planned, and, perhaps even accelerated to help generate revenue for HP/PALM, to shut down the naysayers on Wall St and those of HP's investors who questioned the validity of reasoning for the PALM acquisition - sell 2 - 5 milllion of the next WebOS smarthpone and generate $.5 billion in sales and those doubters will be history.

My guess is July/August for a new WebOS smartphone.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I wouldn't expect anything this Summer, especially given prior comments from Palm on WebOS software updates expected later this summer. However I also think mid 2011 is too far out. I would expect to see something late fall/early winter - just prior to the Holiday season.

HP-Palm won't exactly be "starting from square one" in August - there is a transition period following acquisitions yes, but there is also a continuation of the acquired company's prior activities, unless of course the acquired business was purchased simply to eliminate a competitor, not the case here. I can't see HP throwing away a year or so of the development work Palm has no doubt already done for a next gen device - OS 2.0 updates, hardware, carrier specs etc... I do see HP tinkering/reworking some "already finished or near complete issues" such as hardware build quality and new carrier agreements which would likely delay a release. While a device pre-acquisition may have been released in Aug/Sept time frame I expect it will be delayed a couple of months as HP ensures the device is up to their standards of quality.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    If Palm has a new cutting edge device ready for prime time, I doubt that HP would shut it down. Maybe they're just better at keeping secrets than everyone else! I expect an announcement of a new device very shortly after the acquisition.
    As I said in the past. With the long delay of the Pre launch and the lose of all the hype when the Pre finally came out, maybe Palm has learned and has a new phone about ready to go yet this time will wait just before launch to put out a press release. That would be the smartest thing for both Palm and HP.
    Please make it a WebOS "Slate" and C-40 phone combo.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    +1

As I said in the past. With the long delay of the Pre launch and the lose of all the hype when the Pre finally came out, maybe Palm has learned and has a new phone about ready to go yet this time will wait just before launch to put out a press release. That would be the smartest thing for both Palm and HP.
    Please make it a WebOS "Slate" and C-40 phone combo.
    I agree. If they blow people away with great specs and design, plus launch shortly after, would be a huge win.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    For the most part... someone leaks a handset about 6 months before it comes out....

You can bet any palm phone is a long ways out.... we would've seen it by now if it was coming this summer....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    I'm betting on the palm plus. (pre plus = before the plus) and it will be released in december 2 - 3 weeks before the hollidays
    I think that Palm should first polish up WebOS with the right feature-set and missing "generics" like bluetooth OBEX, support for HDMI out, better enterprise e-mail support, PIM functions, video calling, voice-activated functions, better facebook integration, more 'celebrity' app partners, and overall speeding up of UI.

How else will they compete with phones like EVO without features that 'll become standard in iPhone 4 and Android in the coming months? Palm needs to work on the software front even more now. Hardware is not the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    I think that Palm should first polish up WebOS with the right feature-set and missing "generics" like bluetooth OBEX, support for HDMI out, better enterprise e-mail support, PIM functions, video calling, voice-activated functions, better facebook integration, more 'celebrity' app partners, and overall speeding up of UI.

How else will they compete with phones like EVO without features that 'll become standard in iPhone 4 and Android in the coming months? Palm needs to work on the software front even more now. Hardware is not the issue.
    While I agree they should improve their software, most of what you listed are niches that nobody barely uses. Hardware is as essential as software because it's the money maker for Palm. More money = more development. It's a circle of life.
    Enterprise email, PIM functions and voice-activated functions (e.g. voice-dial) are niches? I think they're bread-and-butter things.