Page 22 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272 ... LastLast
    I said it before and I will say it again. We Palm fans would have been better off if HTC purchased Palm. HP truley only wanted WEB OS for its slates and printers etc. I feel safe in saying they will not abandon the PRE. Im sure they will update WEB OS as time goes buy . But its just a sad news day i guess. Alot of people got there dreams crushed with 1 paragraph.

I still say they will put out phones and I garentee a stament today from HP saying somethign like "We are committed to Smartphones" , but these phones will be smartphones that are not competitive with Iphone or Android and are low scale basic smartphones which to some people is good. This is not the end completly of HP Smartphones but its not the Palm Smartphones we are used to.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 06/03/2010 at 01:54 AM.
    Not so fast. Brighthand's article on Hurd's comments suggests that Hurd is saying "smartphones" when he means what we would call "feature rich phones". "Web connected devices", in Hurd's parlance, could include phones like the iPhone, high-end Android phones, and the Pre. Grasping at straws, perhaps.
    Last edited by doublebullout; 06/03/2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Translation: "Because I have not heard of a thing, said thing does not exist."

wow....just, wow.

I believe there WILL be a second gen WebOS phone. When? I have no clue. However, I'm not so impatient and / or dissatisfied with my Pre as to throw a hissy fit and declare the platform dead because....gasp...I have not yet been informed.
    And I believe, with the HP acquisition of Palm, we have seen an end of an era. It is my belief that if HP/Palm had *ANYTHING* in the works, something more substantial than an obscure months old reference to the mythical c40 would have surfaced by now.

To date, no information has "leaked", no developer has left a prototype in a bar, no photos of the device have surfaced, no specs have been reported. One would think that if they were actually going to release a new device in July or August, they'd let it be known ahead of time in a effort to try to snag a few of us who are already eligible to upgrade to a new device as of June 01. The silence speaks volumes my friend.

Perhaps there will be a second generation WebOS smartphone, but it won't be anytime in the near future. I wouldn't look for it before 2011 sometime, after HP finishes absorbing Palm and evaluating what patents it now controls.

So, believe what you will. Some still believe the world to be flat, or so I hear.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 06/03/2010 at 08:04 AM.
    Hurd is an *****. Regardless of how his comments were intended to be interpreted, he came off as a jerk, saying "It's mine now. I'll do with it as I please."
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    My only comment about the quotes from Mr. Hurd is that they were, at best, ill timed, and poorly advised. Although the FTC has approved the sale, the Palm stockholders have not. That vote isn't until June 25th. If his comments are not in line with the desires of the current Palm stockholders, his comments could have cost his company more than the expense of staying in the smartphone market. I would suggest he learns that discreation is often the better part of valor.
    Last edited by fwinst; 06/03/2010 at 10:18 AM.
    i wonder..... maybe palm does have a new device coming out soon on sprint but in an effort not to take away sales from the EVO, sprint won't allow palm to announce the new device until the EVO has been on the market for a little while.
    Quote Originally Posted by KamSmiff View Post
    Hurd is an *****. Regardless of how his comments were intended to be interpreted, he came off as a jerk, saying "It's mine now. I'll do with it as I please."

Um, it is his. HP just spent a billion to buy it and he doesn't have to do what this forum wants him to do. Reading the reactions this morning is just making me laugh. People here think they own webos and that HP now owes the community here something. Well, they don't. It's their money, it's their IP now and they can use it to compete in whatever other markets they what. And people here now are sending hate mail to the CEO? Well, that's just gonna get him moving on smartphones isn't it?
    Hurd already commented on the matter and said that smartphones are still in the mix basically. But it looks like the focus is on creating an ecosystem of connected devices with webos being the lynch pin. So everybody who got your panties in a bunch please have a coke and a smile and try to relax a little. Besides, smartphones are going to be a very important part of their plans going forward. Afterall you can not have the kind of mobility they are talking about without phones being involved. Not everybody will want carry around a tablet or laptop when they could handle their business from a much smaller device.
    Last edited by mysterfix; 06/03/2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    Um, it is his. HP just spent a billion to buy it ...
    Um, no they haven't, yet. The acquisition won't close until Palm shareholders approve it (which still seems extremely likely to happen, I will grant you). Even then, Palm would not be "his"; Hurd is merely an employee of the HP shareholders, who pay him to administer THEIR assets and can fire him if they are not satisified with the job he does (can you say Carly Fiorina?).
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Um, no they haven't, yet. The acquisition won't close until Palm shareholders approve it (which still seems extremely likely to happen, I will grant you). Even then, Palm would not be "his"; Hurd is merely an employee of the HP shareholders, who pay him to administer THEIR assets and can fire him if they are not satisified with the job he does (can you say Carly Fiorina?).
    Hate to tell you this, but the shareholders want this deal to go through or their stock is worthless. They don't care about how HP wants to use Palm.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    That's what he says: "until Palm shareholders approve it (which still seems extremely likely to happen, I will grant you)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    ... And people here now are sending hate mail to the CEO? ...
    Actually, no. My comment was concerning how poorly thought out his comments seem to be, especially considering the timing.
    My interpretation of Hurd's comment is that HP didn't buy Palm for HP to make a push into the smartphone market. They intend to expand the application of WebOS onto other devices. However, they probably will have Palm operating as a separate division with business as usual, and will provide support as needed, without trying to conquer the smartphone market.
    Come on guys! This is NOT a "well my thoughts on the Hurd interview are.." thread! This is about the C40 and C40 only! Stay focused and take your off topicness elsewhere!!
    The company I work for happens to be a very large customer of HP's. In fact we have had HP completely change and\or redesign some of their large servers\blade enclosures just to meet specs that we have given them. Their engineers are top notch.

Reading Hurd's comments it seems that HP is wanting to get away from relying on MS, and they are trying to get "smart devices" that will share and talk to each other.

HP is all ready in the smartphone market. The iPaqs used to be great, but due to MS' lack of updates they have fallen by the wayside. HP has made some great purchases in the past and have been able to wrap other products into their vision. Server guys think Openview, Insight Management, Mercury Interactive (Loadrunner), etc. These products were not killed off, infact they got better staffing, and were woven tightly into HP's servers (which are now the best selling servers in the world.)

With WebOS HP will be able to produce all kinds of small connected devices, imagine the iPaqs running WebOS, their printers, tablets, and yes remember those "smart" refridgerators that would keep inventory of your food and order re-supplies as you run low.

I don't think the Palm name will continue, HP has a way of rebranding the good stuff. Remember when HP bought Compaq. The Compaq servers were (from a systems engineer view, the best in the world at the time,) Compaq's desktops were horrible. HP was the opposite, their servers were horrible but they had the highest rated desktops. Compaq's server tech support was the best, their desktop support the worst, HP again was the opposite. So, after the "merger" HP rebranded Compaqs servers to HP servers (for the first few years we would get new servers shipping with HP on the server, but Compaq on the box it was shipped in.) HP stopped making servers, they shut their plants down, the tech support, everything. The old Compaq guys started answering the phones as HP, and that was it. For the Desktops, HP shut down the Compaq stuff, but kept the name, and rebranded their lower-end desktops as Compaqs. They have done the same with other technology vendors along the way.

I am willing to bet HP will throw tons of resources at WebOS, they will make tons of updates and improvements. How often these updates are released I wouldn't begin to guess. But I bet HP will try to have printers and tablets running webos on the market by early next year, along with other devices and appliances by mid next year. The smartphone plays into this in a huge way. Apple has finally released the iPad, so now, instead of thinking of the iPad as a large iPod touch, imagine it the other way around. The iPod is a pocket version of the iPad. This may be how HP sees the smartphones. A mini-tablet computer with a cellular radio. Capable of providing hot-spot access to your tablet and your printer. Your office on the go when you don't want to carry a laptop or tablet. I think we will finally see some of the more business needed features that Palm missed on the Pre. Like printing, office document editing, video conference, voice control, etc.

I have worked with HP products for years, and they tend to attempt to stay on the cutting edge, and they listen to their customers (at least the big ones.) And those customers are looking for Business oriented iPad's and iPhones knock-offs.

(again, all just my wag - but I am optimistic about HP.)
    as others have mentioned...

KEEP THIS THREAD ABOUT THE C40. NOT ABOUT HURD'S COMMENTS OR THE PALM/HP BUYOUT.

sorry for the all caps. some folks just aren't getting it. please post in the appropriate thread.

thx.
    The rumored date of July makes sense. It's a month after the Evo launch, so the hype should have calmed down a bit. The C40 will need to meet or exceed the specs of the Evo/Incredible in order for them not to have another Droid fiasco.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The rumored date of July makes sense. It's a month after the Evo launch, so the hype should have calmed down a bit. The C40 will need to meet or exceed the specs of the Evo/Incredible in order for them not to have another Droid fiasco.
    One BIG problem with that:

Sprint launching Motorola i1, Samsung Intercept, 4G in more markets Boy Genius Report

BGR got a scan of the internal doc with Sprint's incoming launches. No mention of any Palm device whatsoever. And this thing mentions a new Samsung Moment with the internal name no one else has seen before that recently passed the FCC, so it's legit.

There will be no new devices until after HP finishes acquisition, and then at that point, there still may not be any for some time. HP is clearly in no rush whatsoever. Smartphones are not their priority with WebOS.
    I honestly think October is the most credible date.. It think palm learned from rushing devices, and releasing so close to the iphone. If they wait for dual core chips, then they could have a phone that's faster then the competitions, instead of slower.. (especially with all those updates coming in oct.)
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    well i have been hoping for a new device. But i still dont know if its going to come out. Is waiting until July too late? Since there are a good amount of Pre users moving to android. Or are they not worried about selling devices since HP as the money.

Why dont we have leaks? Someone is making the phone overseas. Its not like Palm is an unknown company. Thats my question. HTC leaks happen months ahead of the official announcement.

Dont you think someone at Palm was worried and make a leak to save its users? Thats what i would do. Even a blurry pic of the new device in a grassy knoll would be good.
    Hmmm...just wondering here.