Page 18 of 84 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think everyone missed that memo. The FCC certification process alone takes 4-8 weeks and must be performed on the final version of the device. Using nimer55's timeline, that gives the manufacturer 3-4 months to design, build a prototype, test it, field test it, fix it, test it some more. Then send it to the FCC for 1-2 months. Then spin up the factory, build it, box it, ship it, advertise it, sell it in under a month. I'll assume the wirelees provider works in parallel with the manufacturer in the testing phase to put in its branding software just to keep the timeline down - but this normally doesn't happen. Six months is an absurd guess at a timeline for anything beyond a minor update (Pre to Pre+ for example) where FCC certification is a bit more boilerplate.

Remember a phone called the Pre? It was well into its second (or more) round of testing when it was announced in Jan 09 and when it released 5 months later on 6 June, there were still significant logistical and hardware problems with the phone (notice I didn't also mention WebOS here - presumably a next-generation HP phone won't need to recreate the OS). Six months soup-to-nuts for a new phone? No way. Oct 09 for a new Palm? Certainly possible assuming Palm's had a phone in the works since last December or so.
    Hi,

I would like to think they did have one from December, but who knows????

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Unless you are a Premier Customer, in which case you get a $150 discount at 12 months.

I, too, am curious about C40 or whatever will be next, but am very happy with my Pre in the meantime.
    Its a little more tricky, you have to know what is your primary line AND not so easy to switch for upgrade purposes, good news 150 is 150** - you get one 150 or what ever is the best current deal (ie the better of the two)

ie if EVO is 549:
    549-150=300

but you get it for 200 - because new customers can.

NOW WHAT I STILL CAN't FIGURE - why would anyone, even rich HP want to sit idly and watch THE dominant competitors ALL release new STUFF - without even a hint of what they may have?

iphone4/EVO,Incredible/RIM9700,9650,slider vs PALM = zippo???

Especially on the anniversary of their savior phone & OS? Sure I can understand no phone now, but no tantalizing clues? Maybe c40 was a dud.

Even windows is dropping hints /press releases

Is it possible that the merger is so critical to complete that to avoid shareholder lawsuits, revelation of trade secrets - that HP/Palm has ordered tighter than usual secrecy to avoid unintended collateral consequences of a leak? That is my best hope.
    understanding that since they showed the orginal pre 01/09 it took them 5 months to release. Though understand that they had to announce something being dorment, and bleeding money for years and needed to just announce something. Now knowing they have HP aquiring them, they can wait until after all the EVO and IPHONE HD hype then announce a new phone before the aquistion. Bottom line people Palm stating business as usual they have something already ready to go, and keeping it under wraps until the hype dies down from sprint with the EVO makes sense. I expect a release of a new device between 08/10 and 10/10
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    understanding that since they showed the orginal pre 01/09 it took them 5 months to release. Though understand that they had to announce something being dorment, and bleeding money for years and needed to just announce something. Now knowing they have HP aquiring them, they can wait until after all the EVO and IPHONE HD hype then announce a new phone before the aquistion. Bottom line people Palm stating business as usual they have something already ready to go, and keeping it under wraps until the hype dies down from sprint with the EVO makes sense. I expect a release of a new device between 08/10 and 10/10
    Hi,
    well that works for me, my contract at long last ends in mid Oct, after 2 years. I am going to switch to Sprint, at that time. If the new Pre or what ever it is called, is not out yet, I will continue without a contract with V until it does.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    FWIW I believe the typical development timeline for a new handset these days of the complexity of something like the Pre/iPhone etc about 1 year in the industry. It was more like 18 months for Palm in the Treo days, but hopefully Palm has sped things up since then. I would be shocked if there isn't any new hardware from Palm in 2010. I think we will see something from Hpalm before the end of the year, however it will be interesting to see which carrier they will launch with first considering the disappointment of the Sprint Pre launch last year...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    FWIW I believe the typical development timeline for a new handset these days of the complexity of something like the Pre/iPhone etc about 1 year in the industry. It was more like 18 months for Palm in the Treo days, but hopefully Palm has sped things up since then. I would be shocked if there isn't any new hardware from Palm in 2010. I think we will see something from Hpalm before the end of the year, however it will be interesting to see which carrier they will launch with first considering the disappointment of the Sprint Pre launch last year...
    Hi all,

Personally, I also think there will be something this year. I also think Palm was hoarding it's $, which it no longer has to. This will help move things along.

Now that I think about it. I would not be surprised if there is Bridge financing from HP if Palm needs it until the deal goes thru. I am sure that HP,, want

I also think, while there are still a large stockpile of Pre or Pre Plus sitting around, Palm is not rushing to get new ones out. If the announce anything now, they will be stuck with a great deal of inventory. (Although, I would think that cutting the price to $0 or almost $0 must be moving some of the inventory, onto new customers).

Well that's my 2 cents for what ever it is worth.

I also wonder if the contract they had with Sprint, requires they go to Sprint 1st next time around. Although, I am not sure Sprint would be interested, (publicly Sprint has blamed Palm. However, I feel there is enough blame to go around for everyone).

Take care, Jay
    Hi all, I have one final thought, I would not be surprised it there is bridge financing from HP, so that Palm will have enough $ to keep the pipeline moving of new products.

Palm has posted a number of job openings, since the buyout was announced. I also have to think that Palm is already working on software requirements and adaptations of webOS for a slate, even though HP & Palm will not be one company for a short while. This will allow a slate to be ready in mush less time and hit the ground running!

take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think everyone missed that memo. The FCC certification process alone takes 4-8 weeks and must be performed on the final version of the device. Using nimer55's timeline, that gives the manufacturer 3-4 months to design, build a prototype, test it, field test it, fix it, test it some more. Then send it to the FCC for 1-2 months. Then spin up the factory, build it, box it, ship it, advertise it, sell it in under a month. I'll assume the wirelees provider works in parallel with the manufacturer in the testing phase to put in its branding software just to keep the timeline down - but this normally doesn't happen. Six months is an absurd guess at a timeline for anything beyond a minor update (Pre to Pre+ for example) where FCC certification is a bit more boilerplate.

Remember a phone called the Pre? It was well into its second (or more) round of testing when it was announced in Jan 09 and when it released 5 months later on 6 June, there were still significant logistical and hardware problems with the phone (notice I didn't also mention WebOS here - presumably a next-generation HP phone won't need to recreate the OS). Six months soup-to-nuts for a new phone? No way. Oct 09 for a new Palm? Certainly possible assuming Palm's had a phone in the works since last December or so.
    standard is about a year, but i recall reading that manufactures have released within 6 months before.. Maybe i'm wrong (very probable), but theres no way in hell palm hasn't done the design, and prototype stage of 4 different phones already. (they might be very similar, but they always have more than one prototype)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    standard is about a year, but i recall reading that manufactures have released within 6 months before.. Maybe i'm wrong (very probable), but theres no way in hell palm hasn't done the design, and prototype stage of 4 different phones already. (they might be very similar, but they always have more than one prototype)
    Hi all, I would think they start working on the next model, as soon as the current one goes on sale,(with the first carrier, in this case Sprint). I am guessing, I have no inside info! Take care, Jay
    they do work on new models all the time. Sometimes the 2nd model is worked on before the release of the 1st. But new things happen and they tweak. Say HP has a new phone on the board. They might look at the Evo and new Iphone and make tweaks. The testing. Then fcc approval. Then they have to find a carrier. Then they can start production. That's why it takes so long. Also why I don't expect a new phone until early 2011 at the earlist anand as I say in every thread I expect it released on Verizon or ATT. HP ( and sprint) has no contracts with anyone at the moment. And we all know the fall out with Srint over the Pre. Which is why every carrier has the Plus but Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    they do work on new models all the time. Sometimes the 2nd model is worked on before the release of the 1st. But new things happen and they tweak. Say HP has a new phone on the board. They might look at the Evo and new Iphone and make tweaks. The testing. Then fcc approval. Then they have to find a carrier. Then they can start production. That's why it takes so long. Also why I don't expect a new phone until early 2011 at the earlist anand as I say in every thread I expect it released on Verizon or ATT. HP ( and sprint) has no contracts with anyone at the moment. And we all know the fall out with Srint over the Pre. Which is why every carrier has the Plus but Sprint.
    what? first there was no fall out with sprint at all, even the CFO stated their relationship with Palm is intact where did you get that idea. Second the only and I mean only logical reason why palm hasent released the plus on sprint is because of a new model coming out, the only other company that has the original and the plus is O2 and they requested it so. Third what in the world would make you even think Palm would want to release a phone to verizon at this moment in time when verizon not only failed to advertise or push the pre, but also have not sold anything since the launch. Think about it first before you post, if palm releases a new phone this year it is logically on sprint, not only did they sell the most phones to date (over 2million), they have little to no excess inventory unlike Verizon, and AT&T not only just recieved the pre plus, but with the iphone coming in June they would have to wait more then a year to release something with them which of course according to any basic buisness standard would be the dumbest thing you could do. Verizon lol I mean come on right now as you can see they are pushing android harder then anything because thats whats making them money. After the incrediable there will be the shadow, the droid 2, the nexus 2 they would care less about a Web OS phone at this time, and waiting like you said another year and sending them more inventory for it to sit in boxes in a storage room to collect dust would be F stupid use your head please. Though yes in a years time it would still be wise for HP/Palm to release their next device on Verizon, but when it comes to prioity right now to release a new phone, and on what carrier Sprint is not only the logical choice to introduce a new model, but the only.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 05/30/2010 at 05:42 PM.
    did you also believe the BP CEO when he said they had the oil leak under control the problems of sprint and Palm have been discussed many times. See the post before mine when another poster stated Sprint publicly blamed Palm. And inbturn Palm blamed Sprint for the Pre faliure . Sprints flagship is now the Evo. ATT is losing the iphone next year. Version has no flagship phine. Any new Palm phone is open for any carrier to be the first. The ATT or Verizon is only a guess on my part but it would be a guess if anyone said Sprint. We have zero clue what carrier would carry it. As I Said HP has nocontract status with anyone . They will make a deal with a carrier soon and in 'my opinion' it will not be Sprint. I ant see either party trying that faliure again. Personally if HP is smart they release a GSM phone on ATT. Access to more markets. Having the Pre follow up on Sprint would be a mistake.again just my opinion.
    Hi all,

We will all know soon enough. The world of cell phones moves fast and smart phones/PDA's even faster. Palm knew that Iphone 4G would be out soon..so they could not drag their feet. However, this time, I think they did not want to rush to beat Apple, this time, I think they are playing it safer and smarter.

Take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    If the Sprint launch was a failure then wouldn't that make the other launches epic failures? I believe when a new device is released, it will be released on Sprint first(assuming there is any exclusivity) since that is where the majority of WebOs users reside. I've got to believe that Palm knows they're already going to lose some original Pre users to the Evo and that they will continue to lose users the longer it takes for a new device to hit Sprint shelves. I also don't really think there was much of a "fallout" between Sprint and Palm. Sure, both companies thought the launch could have gone better but the same was said about the Verizon launch. Not much there. As far as the Plus goes, I highly doubt Sprint didn't get it due to any conflict between the two companies. It came out less than a year after the original Pre so if you bought the original on launch day with your upgrade then you wouldn't be eligible for the discount on the Pre Plus and even if you were, who the hell would PAY for the same device with slight memory improvements?!?! Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. The VZ launch was the desaster, and if there is a broken relationship it has to be between VZ and Palm.

Based on history, I really believe that Sprint will get the plus. There is no downside to Sprint because there is a certain segment of their base that will upgrade to the Plus and sign up for another contract. The cost to adopt the Plus would be nothing compared to adopting a completely new model.

Sprint and Palm both benefit from having the Plus being offered by Sprint. Not that they would spend a lot to promote it, but there is a sizable base of Pre users that Sprint needs to take care of.

In the old days, I bought several off-contract Palm phones if I wasn't due for an upgrade. The reps always had a stack of them for crazy people like me that had $500 to burn...
    Have a read of a good article. Will give some insight into the problems Palm had with SPrint.Palms exclusity contract expired in June 2010 and they jumped to Verizon and ATT.The only reason Palm Phones went to Sprint first was this agreement which ended.Thats over , Phones May not go to Sprint first anymore.

Analyst: Palm Held Back by Sprint | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

PALM BIGGEST PROBLEM : SPRINT

“Were not for its lack of distribution, inadequate advertising, and resulting limited developer community, Palm would be shipping far higher unit volumes than it does today.”

So begins a research note from Morgan Stanley (MS) analyst Ehud Gelblum that says the end of Palm’s carrier exclusivity with Sprint can’t come soon enough. According to Gelblum, limited distribution in the U.S. through the country’s third largest wireless carrier has hamstrung Palm by limiting the addressable market for the company’s new super-smartphones, the Pre and Pixi.

“We believe much of the scale issues Palm has experienced to date have been a function of its exclusive distribution agreement in the US with Sprint,

However, we expect this to change rapidly in 2010,” the analyst adds, “as the CEOs of both AT&T and Verizon Wireless stated last summer that each would carry Palm webOS products after the exclusivity with Sprint expires which we expect to happen in calendar Q1 of 2010.”
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/30/2010 at 09:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    There are a couple of things that make that article invalid in my opinion. You say the exclusivity expired in "June 2010" and they jumped to VZW. Well June '10 hasn't even rolled around. It's from 1/5/10 and the exclusivity being referred to is for the Pre which has since expired. It was not for any and all devices. Also, Palm chose to release the Pre on Sprint first!They weren't forced to. I said it before and I'll say it again, Sprint had the best launch by far so I don't know where all this talk of "Sprints failed launch" and this "big fallout" stem from. All that article proves is that an analyst from Morgan Stanley predicted that Palm would do better on Verizon and AT&T and he was DEAD WRONG! Yes, the Sprint launch perhaps could have been better but it was still the BEST launch AND it had more obstacles than the other carriers(relatively unknown device at the time, unproven os, and the lesser model). With all those factors against Sprint they still outdid the others so my point stands.
    The article says June but I know it was January .
    Palm has agreement swith ATT and Verizon now and has no agreement anymore with sprint. The agreements are not exclusive as the one with Sprint was .(Sprint has exclusive rights to the PRE and Pixi) SO Palm CAN sell any phone on Sprint BUT they have agreements to sell them on AT&T and Verzion now so Sprint is out of the picture now unless they sign a new agreement. Thats not my opinion thats a fact. Palm has no agreement anymore with Sprint. Thats why I say there is a good chance you will not see the new Palm Phone on Sprint until after its on ATT or Verizon first . Im not basing this on my Gut or anything but facts I read.

And as for talk of "Sprints failed launch" it was Sprint themselves called the Palm Pre a faliure.

Finally it has come too pass that Sprint has caught up with what the rest of us have known for quite some time that the Palm Pre has failed. Apparently Robert Brust, CFO for Sprint made the admission to investors while also saying that things are looking up.

According to the source article over on the WSJ by Roger Cheng of Dow Jones Newswires, Brust told investors that “the Pre didn’t work out as well as we hoped,” however one the iPhone Brust commented, “we’d love to have it.”

So basically Sprint is admitting that the Palm Pre failed, so now only the Palm Pixi has to follow in the same footsteps. AT&T recently announced the release of the Palm Pre Plus, so I wonder if they are now beginning to regret it as well Palm bet big on their webOS devices and they failed to save them forcing them to be put up for purchase, but at least Sprint still has the HTC EVO 4G to fall back on
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/30/2010 at 10:07 PM.
    I believe october or november release will be coming. The hype of all these phones who have discovered 1ghz will have died down and Palm will have put something ridiculous together like they've always have. Why October or November, because they need the Hype of their phones during christmas. They have to be the "in thing" for the holidays. I think it will be the same ole OS with some amazing ideas. I have a list of my own I'm hoping for, but I have a feeling Palm is taking alot of what we on Precentral have asked for. They have the time to do this, they just need the support and come out strong before, during and after launch day.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Not sure where in the article it says June but that's not important. I think maybe you're confusing the exclusivity. The exclusivity with Sprint was for the Pre which meant they could not sell that phone on any other carrier until the expiration of said exclusivity. Now I could be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure there is no exclusivity with Verizon or AT&T given that the phone is on both carriers. Even if there is, that applies to the Pre and NO phone in the future.