Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1662
  1. #221  
    you should tell Jackson to sign up here as we are all cool people.

    also, it sounds like the EVO could be officially unveiled next week with a release date either late this month or early June.

    that is going to be a long-*** wait from then until the Pre2 comes out...even if hPalm releases/leaks some specs.
  2. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by onemadrssn View Post
    ...I am addicted to getting new gadgets all the time, I will not wait for very long after I am eligible for an upgrade. I need to know Palm has something coming before the end of the summer or I will jump ship.
    Bear with me here... I still have the same Power Mac I bought in 2003. Before that I bought a new PC about every year. But once I found OS X I wasn't so dependant on my hardware addiction. Same held true for cell phones prior to the Palm pre. Now that I've found webOS I'm gonna hang with my Palm pre until something new comes along from Palm. I understand the temptation is great when you see the latest and greatest hardware. And the fact that it's not that expensive (compared to a new Mac for example) makes it even harder to want to stick around. I just think that a lot of people who jump ship will be seriously bummed when HP/Palm finally release their new cutting edge device.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Bear with me here... I still have the same Power Mac I bought in 2003. Before that I bought a new PC about every year. But once I found OS X I wasn't so dependant on my hardware addiction. Same held true for cell phones prior to the Palm pre. Now that I've found webOS I'm gonna hang with my Palm pre until something new comes along from Palm. I understand the temptation is great when you see the latest and greatest hardware. And the fact that it's not that expensive (compared to a new Mac for example) makes it even harder to want to stick around. I just think that a lot of people who jump ship will be seriously bummed when HP/Palm finally release their new cutting edge device.
    I feel the exact same way! I've had phones with WinMo 5, 6, and 6.1, but I've always been tempted by the next big hardware release (bigger screens, more RAM, more storage, better camera, etc.). With webOS, it's the first time I'm addicted to the OS, NOT the hardware. I played with the Moment, the Hero, and Droid, and while briefly tempted in-store, all it took was ten seconds of re-acquainting myself with my "boring old" Pre to realize that no one has implemented a UI as intuitive and slick as webOS. I'm definitely waiting until the next webOS device rolls around. Not even the EVO 4G can lure me away from my webOS!!!

    Sprint__________________________ GSM___ Verizon_________________
  4. #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    you should tell Jackson to sign up here as we are all cool people.
    All of us?

    Hopefully it won't be too long before Palm releases a new device.
  5. dan000's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    Palm really needs to leak some info on the next gen phones. There are too many options for us early adopters right now.

    1. Evo 4G
    2. iPhone HD
    3. Incredible
    4. The new Dells coming out

    and more.

    Many of us have a new phone upgrade in early June and if we don't see anything coming out of Palm it will be pretty hard not to jump to one of the phones above.

    I will be getting a new phone in June/July for sure. I could stretch to August or maybe early September IF I know what is coming from Palm. Without a leak I will have to assume it will be another "not quite up to the competition hardware" phone that will come out in the fall. If that is the case, I will be gone for a year or so and maybe back next year.
    100% my thoughts.
  6. #226  
    I am getting ready to jump ship here. I'm sorry, but I have an outdated device with constant memory errors. I love webOS, but the 3.1", 256MB RAM, 500Mhz processor days are over.
    It was a huge mistake from Palm to not have a new device ready for the hundreds of thousands that bought the Pre in June. They have had well over one year. They introduced the Pre in January 2009 and 1 year and a half later, all we see are the same device on different networks. Just a bit updated on the inside. Hardly a "new device."
    The HTC Evo with Sense 2.1 has fixed many of the issues I have had with Android, and so it is becoming clear to me that I will need to consider moving. I really love webOS, but it's just really behind when it comes to hardware.
    Since Palm is not willing to let us know when we will have a new device, I have to be pessimistic about everything and just prepare for the worst: Palm not releasing a device until maybe fall.
    What's worse, I spoke to a Sprint rep today and he told me that they are not expecting any brand new device from Palm, but he said "he heard" something about Sprint getting the Pre Plus instead.

    I want new. I want it now. For this reason, I am most likely going to get an Evo come June. Sprint did the smart thing: they launched a new device when they knew the Palm customers where eligible for upgrades. If only Palm had followed suit.
  7. Clipse's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #227  
    I want a new WebOs device with the latest hardware but I can't wait forever. The evo 4g is getting closer and looking better every day.
  8. #228  
    Wow, people lose faith easly. I am here to stick with Palm/HP and WebOS. My next purchase will probably be, if it comes to Bell, the HSPA Pre Plus.
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I am getting ready to jump ship here. I'm sorry, but I have an outdated device with constant memory errors. I love webOS, but the 3.1", 256MB RAM, 500Mhz processor days are over.
    It was a huge mistake from Palm to not have a new device ready for the hundreds of thousands that bought the Pre in June. They have had well over one year. They introduced the Pre in January 2009 and 1 year and a half later, all we see are the same device on different networks. Just a bit updated on the inside. Hardly a "new device."
    The HTC Evo with Sense 2.1 has fixed many of the issues I have had with Android, and so it is becoming clear to me that I will need to consider moving. I really love webOS, but it's just really behind when it comes to hardware.
    Since Palm is not willing to let us know when we will have a new device, I have to be pessimistic about everything and just prepare for the worst: Palm not releasing a device until maybe fall.
    What's worse, I spoke to a Sprint rep today and he told me that they are not expecting any brand new device from Palm, but he said "he heard" something about Sprint getting the Pre Plus instead.

    I want new. I want it now. For this reason, I am most likely going to get an Evo come June. Sprint did the smart thing: they launched a new device when they knew the Palm customers where eligible for upgrades. If only Palm had followed suit.
    I understand some of what you are saying but for Palm to shoot there carriers in the foot by announcing a new device when they haven't finished launching the Pre+ and Pixi+ would just be stupid. It would also very likely anger most of the bigs like AT&T for instance. When you have handsets in the channel already that you and your partners need to sell timing becomes a key component to launching new devices. Speak out too early about the new stuff and you kill sales on the existing devices, wait too long and you risk being passed over by bigger and better hardware. Just my 2 cents.
  10. #230  
    The good thing about everybody jumping ship left and right because their one-year-old phone has one-year-old specs (gasp) is that in a year, when their Evos are one year old, they will jump ship again, and by then HP will likely have a bunch of phones, not just two models, on the market running webOS. Even if they suddenly decide to become loyal to Android for some reason or another, the market is much larger than them.

    Hope you can swim well, ye jumpers, and good luck with Android.
  11. #231  
    If some are willing to jump ship to another device/platform so readily, they probably jumped ship from a different device/platform to the Pre last June. There's probably a good chance that when Palm does unveil their next generation device (whenever it does happen), those people will be willing to move back to Palm again.

    That's just the nature of the some people's personality. As long a Palm releases a phone that is ahead of the curve, they will get people to move over.

    I think Palm's biggest issue is not the timing of their next device, but their marketing strategy. Hopefully HP will be able to turn that around and make WebOS a common household name.
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I am getting ready to jump ship here. I'm sorry, but I have an outdated device with constant memory errors. I love webOS, but the 3.1", 256MB RAM, 500Mhz processor days are over..

    I want new. I want it now...
    Estebancam, how would you feel "in the fall", if a new Palm device with improved webos features and apps came out and better hardware specs than the evo? If you would still feel ok with your "new evo device", then why not go ahead and jump in June? If you think you will be sorry, then either save up your pennies to switch again in the fall or hold off a few months until you hear what Palm's plans are. I imagine we will get more information about the pipeline before summer's end and you will be able to make a more informed decision.
  13. Bigfire's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    #233  
    We still have likely a month and a half prior to the EVO launching. The problem is many of the sweetest features depend on 4G and that service will be sporadic at best for quite a bit of time. What good is having an ultra hi-def screen if the only decent video you can get is when you take your own movies or take time to upload movies (aka cram your memory to the ceiling). Unless Sprint indicates some enhancements to 'TV' app, it is likely the EVO will be like having a 3D HDTV without anything to play on it.

    Don't get me wrong I love getting new gadgets, and have really thought I would plan on jumping as soon as this device comes out, but I'll at least give it a month or two of being on the market...to see if people enjoy what they have, or wish the 4G would be solid in order to actually appreciate the giant cell they now have to take everywhere.

    Funny part is they are launching the Pre+ for AT&T shortly, but if I were an AT&T customer, I'd wait till the EVO comes out. Depending on how that is received, and if Palm announces a new device, why buy a Pre at this point? Wait the contract out and go to a different carrier. I don't think Palm will benefit from releasing the phone a year later on a carrier that already has a flagship device with a new rediculous device coming out.....who would take a Palm Pre over an Iphone if they were used to how Iphone works???
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

    Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
  14. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #234  
    I really think Palm should have given up getting the Pre+ and Pixi+ on AT&T. Instead focused on a new phone and launch it simultaneously on all carriers (US and World).

    I still can't believe they don't sell and unlocked GSM one.
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post

    Funny part is they are launching the Pre+ for AT&T shortly, but if I were an AT&T customer, I'd wait till the EVO comes out. Depending on how that is received, and if Palm announces a new device, why buy a Pre at this point? Wait the contract out and go to a different carrier. I don't think Palm will benefit from releasing the phone a year later on a carrier that already has a flagship device with a new rediculous device coming out.....who would take a Palm Pre over an Iphone if they were used to how Iphone works???
    I feel you on this, it puzzles me too at why palm would still try and release a now outdated device to AT&T so late at this point. Regardless if they just want to get the phone out there, and maybe they want just that and hopefully be releasing a upgrade through sprint this year. Either way Ill do just that wait and see what happens, for me either way I'm going to wait until a new Web OS version comes out wether this year or next.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I feel you on this, it puzzles me too at why palm would still try and release a now outdated device to AT&T so late at this point. Regardless if they just want to get the phone out there, and maybe they want just that and hopefully be releasing a upgrade through sprint this year. Either way Ill do just that wait and see what happens, for me either way I'm going to wait until a new Web OS version comes out wether this year or next.
    I think it's more about establishing relationships w/ carriers then anything else. Plus the geek world and the mass market are two very different places...the mass market hasn't even heard of the EVO. I would imagine Palm is looking to pick up a few xtra casual users who haven't picked up an iPhone because it doesn't have a keyboard but wouldn't mind the advantages of e-mail, internet, and media on a touchscreen device. They won't hold off for a new device because they're oblivious to that sort of thing...probably still use feature phones.

    Think more along the Backflip lines then EVO and that's probably what Palm/At&t are trying to accomplish.
  17. #237  
    i just want to know when we are going to know, ya know?
  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I feel you on this, it puzzles me too at why palm would still try and release a now outdated device to AT&T so late at this point. Regardless if they just want to get the phone out there, and maybe they want just that and hopefully be releasing a upgrade through sprint this year. Either way Ill do just that wait and see what happens, for me either way I'm going to wait until a new Web OS version comes out wether this year or next.
    I just wanted to jump in here and inject a little reality into this thread.

    When the Pre Plus launches on AT&T this Sunday it will have the best specifications out of all of the phones that they sell on their network. It has the same processor as the 3GS, but twice as much memory, and a much better processor than the Backflip, etc.

    AT&T does not sell any Snapdragon devices in their stores at the moment. The Pre Plus is the new king on AT&T.

    Besides, it's not like HP and Palm are never going to release new hardware. I love the hell out of webOS--other mobile operating systems don't even come close. I am willing to wait for something truly fantastic, and I love that Palm will have solid relationships with the top three carriers and they will (hopefully) do a simultaneous release across all of them.
  19. mjrei's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #239  
    Couldn't agree more! Thanks for the injection.
  20. #240  
    Its not shooting their carriers in the foot, its shooting themselves! Why is it, that after a year and a half, they still have the same device coming out on different carriers? Makes no business sense to me. They should have concentrated on a new device after Verizon's launch. There is a reason why Pre Plus didn't sell, it's because the device next to it was better, worked faster, and was newer. I mean, put a Pre plus next to a Droid or an Incredible... its over. Most people are not tech savvy and won't care about what OS the phone uses, most people care about which looks better and which works faster, and as much as I love webOS, it does not perform as well as Android. It is laggy. Slow.

    I gave Palm one year to just announce a new device... all they have announced is the ATT pre plus. If Palm can say "we are having an all new device coming out in August" then I would stay. Hell maybe even september. I really prefer to stick with webOS, but they are not releasing a new device any time soon.

    Yes, I would be slightly itchy if Palm all of a sudden released a new phone in september and I got stuck with the Evo. In that scenario, I would probably just pull out the cash and buy the device outright, if it's good enough. Sell my Evo for a few hundred and buy the Palm. Again, if its good enough.

    I'm tired of too many cards, im tired of the lag, im tired of the 8GB limited memory, im tired of the hardware issues. Palm needs a new device. Period. And don't mention that all it takes is a patch to make it faster, because thats not the point. I don't buy things just to see how it will work better after its hacked into. I buy them for their functionality out of the box.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions