Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i'm very suprised by cisco deciding to bid on palm, but why would they want to? (although i would love video chatting, and having a GOOD remote connection to my computer)
    We've been discussing this a little bit in this thread, but the gist of it in my opinion is that they have some consumer electronics aspirations recently, as well as some interest in the infrastructure side of the wireless networks.
    And they could use both palm's patent portfolio and webos just like any other company
    I know I was shocked to see Cisco in the running to acquire Palm. I had expected them to bid for SUN when IBM dropped it, but Palm?

However the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Cisco is making a bigger and bigger push into the home market and has been desperately trying to find places where they can play. There are a number of products available from Linksys (A division of Cisco) that are trying to position them as an entertainment hub without providing the entertainment.

At the same time Cisco's IOS is showing it's age and bloat as they try to make it do so much more than was ever expected of it.

Enter Palm and WebOS. Suddenly cisco has a platform to build out their home entertainment model. It allows them to build products that they really don't have the platform for today, and do it almost out of the box with WebOS.

Could they enter the smartphone market? Of course they could, though I would expect that they will focus on home entertainment and connectivity and license WebOS to other manufacturers for phones. We've all wanted that WebOS powered tablet, who cares if it comes from Palm or Linksys/Cisco as long as it has what we want in it.

In the end I really hope that Palm gets a cash infusion or some licensing deals, but if not a purchase by Cisco wouldn't be a bad thing....though HTC is still my first choice.
    They also own the makers of the Flip Video Camera series, Pure Digital.

I've said this a few times, but I don't see HTC being interested in Palm for anything other than the talent, the Palm name, and the patents. I see HTC as being one to gut the comapny.

I was thinking I liked the idea of Lenovo first since they'd have more of a reason to keep webOS semi-intact, but yeah, I'm really liking the idea of Cisco doing it the more I think about it too.
    Edit: Never mind, post I replied to disappeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I think RIM is a better fit personally (business and leisure populations combined)
    I'd be shocked if RIM isn't already internally working on their own next-generation OS.
    I don't know. I am seeing Lenovo as a faster track into a webOS tablet than Cisco. I also see there being a much higher chance of future webOS smartphones with Lenovo than with Cisco.

As much as I like HTC's hardware, like someone said earlier they already have WinMo and Android. Less motivation to really push webOS. Lenovo, on the other hand, is really interested in the mobile domain but to this point have nothing there. So if they purchased Palm and webOS, I think they'd be more motivated to push the heck out of it. And as highly rated as Lenovo laptops are, imagine the quality of a Lenovo-branded, webOS-run, tablet.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    RIM will gut. google will kill WebOS. cisco might give more freedom to palm to continue doing it's thing. the rest will probably harm WebOS in its core...however WebOS on other devices or in a tablet would be really cool.
    I've always been rah-rah for RIM buying Palm, but I think if they were going to, they would have. That said, I think RIM clunking along doing what they've always done is going to be their downfall. I suspect that within 18 months, RIM will be where Palm was in December of 2008.

I'm liking the sound of Cisco better and better the more I think of it.
  11. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've always been rah-rah for RIM buying Palm, but I think if they were going to, they would have. That said, I think RIM clunking along doing what they've always done is going to be their downfall. I suspect that within 18 months, RIM will be where Palm was in December of 2008.

I'm liking the sound of Cisco better and better the more I think of it.
    No way RIM will touch Palm. QNX (a real-time version of Linux) was just bought by them. (I've always thought Palm should have licensed QNX or Wind River for their base instead of off-the-self linux kernel, which of course is cheap. This would have minimized any lag and hiccups with the JVM until they could have better taken advantage of the GPU)

This is now the direction RIM is headed. They've purchased what Palm cannot provide.

In-fact, most of these suitors will be better off letting WebOS die, purchasing only for Palm's patent portfolio at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    (I've always thought Palm should have licensed QNX or Wind River for their base instead of off-the-self linux kernel, which of course is cheap.
    At one point they were using Wind River. Palm Teams with Wind River on Foleo Linux

But I'm sure the OS has gone through so many iterations in those few years of silence from 2005 or so to 2009, so that was apparently scraped along with the Foleo.
    If cisco buys Palm, just remember to type "en" followed by "conf t" instead of "webos20090606" in future webOS releases...

Oh, i already feel a config-register command creeping up from behind...
    Another phone company buying Palm is purely for the patents first, webOS secondary if at all.

Since Cisco isn't a smartphone company, I don't think the patent portfolio is what there would be after. I see this as their next 'baby-step' into the consumer market. Thier first was Lynksys, then Pure Digital.

If Cisco buys Palm to further develop webOS, you can bet that TelePresence/video confrencing over 4G will be a high priority be it a smartphone or tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They also own the makers of the Flip Video Camera series, Pure Digital.

I've said this a few times, but I don't see HTC being interested in Palm for anything other than the talent, the Palm name, and the patents. I see HTC as being one to gut the comapny.

I was thinking I liked the idea of Lenovo first since they'd have more of a reason to keep webOS semi-intact, but yeah, I'm really liking the idea of Cisco doing it the more I think about it too.
    can I invest in your mind reading machine?
    read this I came across from a buisness blog...last two bullit points are pretty valid and you see the Palm connection:

Talent – It’s five miles from Palm’s campus in Sunnyvale over to Cisco’s headquarters in San Jose. Picking up Palm is a great way to get a local pool of handheld system design and engineering talent—including a large pool of ex-Apple talent—for use on any number of Cisco projects, but particularly portable consumer devices.

Deeper Pockets – HTC’s market cap is $8 billion. Lenova’s is $55 billion. Cisco’s is $152 billion. If it comes down to a bidding war, Cisco takes it.

Vindication – Ken Wirt, Cisco VP of Consumer Marketing was SVP or Worldwide Marketing for Palm from 2001 to 2006. As one of the many Palm executives left by the wayside as Palm has struggled to find a winning game plan, you’d have to think Wirt would appreciate the opportunity to show what Palm could be with the resources of a parent company like Cisco behind it.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I am rapidly coming to the opinion that:

HTC = very bad
    Lenovo = least bad
    Cisco = potentially very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    can I invest in your mind reading machine?
    It's not mind-reading, it's looking at the big picture. HTC already has partnerships with Microsoft and Google, and they're doing very successful with those devices. Buying a company and then owning their own OS would strain those relationships. While I love webOS, you can't risk what your entire company's success for the past 3 or 4 years has hinged on, for something that has failed in the marketplace. Not to mention that it'd pretty much render all of HTC's current talent (in Windows Mobile and Android) useless. You could argue that they'd continue to make the WM and Android devices, but what would be the point in acquiring Palm then, if they're in competition with themselves.

Besides that, a mish-mash of webOS cards, SenseUI, Android Java / Dalvik apps, SDL applications, widgets, and webOS Mojo applications would be very difficult to make into something coherent. It'd be possible, but wouldn't be instant.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    read this I came across from a buisness blog...last two bullit points are pretty valid and you see the Palm connection:

Talent – It’s five miles from Palm’s campus in Sunnyvale over to Cisco’s headquarters in San Jose. Picking up Palm is a great way to get a local pool of handheld system design and engineering talent—including a large pool of ex-Apple talent—for use on any number of Cisco projects, but particularly portable consumer devices.

Deeper Pockets – HTC’s market cap is $8 billion. Lenova’s is $55 billion. Cisco’s is $152 billion. If it comes down to a bidding war, Cisco takes it.

Vindication – Ken Wirt, Cisco VP of Consumer Marketing was SVP or Worldwide Marketing for Palm from 2001 to 2006. As one of the many Palm executives left by the wayside as Palm has struggled to find a winning game plan, you’d have to think Wirt would appreciate the opportunity to show what Palm could be with the resources of a parent company like Cisco behind it.
    Palm running under cisco, with lots of cash
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post

Heres a post of mine from a different thread, on the same subject:

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

While the company is worth less than Google, and apple. Google, and apple combined only have have 20-25 percent (did it in my head quickly) more cash on hand than cisco.

Apple
    Google
    Cisco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast