1.    #1  
    If you missed it, its on the front page! They might license out webos as opposed to a buyout
    Link?
    I don't see how they could realistically license out webOS for a cost, when companies can use Android for free....
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I don't see how they could realistically license out webOS for a cost, when companies can use Android for free....
    Its a complete package that wouldn't require development of custom UI. If they license it to people agreeing to meet certain requirements on the hardware it might benefit both parties.
    I can think of a few reasons: 1) webOS is arguably a superior platform that just needs some further development and marketing support to be truly competitive, and 2) some companies might want to differentiate from the rest of the Android pack, and 3) on a related note, Android is becoming very, very fragmented.

Of course, regarding #3, once webOS was licensed to more than one manufacturer, it would likely become fragmented as well. And, there's some inevitable fragmentation already occurring because of the different carriers. So, maybe #3 isn't valid...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yeah. "We require you to duplicate the crappy hardware that got us into this fire-sale to begin with. We blew it so you can, too, in the same way."
    I think you're so quick to want to point out your opinion that the hardware is "crappy" (which I disagree with quite strongly) that you're missing the point. Palm might want to require, e.g., a physical keyboard, a gesture area, a middle button, etc.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yeah. "We require you to duplicate the crappy hardware that got us into this fire-sale to begin with. We blew it so you can, too, in the same way."
    No things like the CPU has to be up to a certain level. The hardware has to have a touch area etc.

Lackluster build quality doesn't mean bad design. Nice trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I can think of a few reasons: 1) webOS is arguably a superior platform that just needs some further development and marketing support to be truly competitive, and 2) some companies might want to differentiate from the rest of the Android pack, and 3) on a related note, Android is becoming very, very fragmented.

Of course, regarding #3, once webOS was licensed to more than one manufacturer, it would likely become fragmented as well. And, there's some inevitable fragmentation already occurring because of the different carriers. So, maybe #3 isn't valid...
    1) It's not much better than the other options. And, in many ways, it's weaker than the leading platforms in use today.

2) That worked out well for Palm...

3) Fragmentation sucks but trying to build a platform from scratch is far worse. That's pretty much what adopting WebOS would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I can think of a few reasons: 1) webOS is arguably a superior platform that just needs some further development and marketing support to be truly competitive,
    Well, we on Precentral argue that it's superior, but I'm not certain that the hordes of folks who are using Android would agree.

and 2) some companies might want to differentiate from the rest of the Android pack, and
    Perhaps, but I can't imagine a company trying to differentiate by paying for an OS that has a track record of not selling, when they can get a far more recognizable one for free..

3) on a related note, Android is becoming very, very fragmented.
    I don't know if fragmentation is a big deal for the majority of consumers. My son has a Hero, and he doesn't even know that other versions have different capabilities....it simply has the features that it did when he bought it.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Just because Android is free to use doesn't mean there is a cost associated with it. Any popular phone has its own custom UI that requires time and money to develop maintain.
    You are trading one cost for another.
    Well, we on Precentral argue that it's superior, but I'm not certain that the hordes of folks who are using Android would agree.
    You're right to point out that we're likely biased here on Precentral, but, that notwithstanding, I do believe that admiration for the beauty and general polish of WebOS along with admiration for the superior usefulness and intuitiveness of the card metaphor for multitasking are very common themes among most of the reviews that I've read pretty much since Launch Day.