1.    #1  
    Do you really think that Palm would sell themselves? Really? How can this be true when Jon R announced days ago that they were not going to sell themselves. With their still new and cutting-edge OS, all they need is new hardware and a chance to get out good ads and people will take notice. They had a rough start and they are really paying for it but they still got potential.

Let me hear your thoughts and opinions BELOW
    Elevation Partners wants their money back.
    Ruby doesn't control the board of directors.
    If a good offer comes in, the stockholders will vote with their wallets.
    Whats the point of having the developer day if they are going to sell?
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Just like yesterday, my Pre still works great, love webOS, nothing has changed. The people that love the webOS and Palm will still continue to support it and all of the Palm haters will continue to jump in every negative thread and bash Palm, nothing has changed. Me I am going to continue to use my Pre and see what develops in the up and coming weeks.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I love my Pre. Love it. And to be honest, I don't even know what to make of this news. It's almost a shame that I decided to get into the smartphone game at this point because, until now, I wouldn't have known ANYTHING that was going on with the company that manufactured my phone!! If it wasn't for PreCentral, which I love for all the news, I wouldn't have a clue that any of this was going down and I would feel exactly the same about my phone.

In my mind, the most serious threat to my Pre is the Evo. I love the form factor and the specs make me all wiggily inside. That's why I voted for HTC to buy Palm, because unless Palm (and some new partner) come out with some new hardware to support this incredibly awesome platform, I'll probably switch when I see that beautiful Evo.

I've been in the Palm world for a few years now and I don't want to jump ship, but there's so much out there right now, why stay married to one device/company?
    Plus, Ruby's a bit of a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Plus, Ruby's a bit of a tool.
    I wouldn't quite go that far... but he clearly is better suited to a design role like he was in at Apple, with someone more charismatic as the face of the company.

He's better than Ballmer, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    He's better than Ballmer, for example.
    Hey (since this entire thread is silly and I don't feel bad about going off-topic), say what you want about Ballmer, but Microsoft's doing some good things lately. Windows 7 is a great OS, Windows Phone 7 will be good while the development tools around it will be simply outstanding, Xbox is solid, and they're doing some very cool prototypes (Courier looks pretty damn exciting). So Ballmer might be a bit over-the-top as a presenter, but he has Microsoft heading in some good directions.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Hey (since this entire thread is silly and I don't feel bad about going off-topic), say what you want about Ballmer, but Microsoft's doing some good things lately. Windows 7 is a great OS, Windows Phone 7 will be good while the development tools around it will be simply outstanding, Xbox is solid, and they're doing some very cool prototypes (Courier looks pretty damn exciting). So Ballmer might be a bit over-the-top as a presenter, but he has Microsoft heading in some good directions.
    I definitely agree there, my response was meant mostly tongue-in-cheek. Other than Windows Mobile, I've always liked most of Microsoft's products, honestly. I just don't think either Rubinstein or Ballmer do a good job as the public face of the companies.
    Honestly, I think Rubenstein hit the nail on the head when he compared Palm today to Apple right before the iMac and iPod. They're in a bit of a tenuous situation and had something of a perfect storm hit them at an unfortunate moment, but if they can weather said storm, I think they could be in a very favorable position. It's not flashy and nothing like this ever comes as fast as the fans would like, but they're taking the necessary steps. Hopefully Palm has the resources to get through, or can put together some kind of arrangement that doesn't involve them being bought completely. Maybe I'm being a Pollyanna here, but I do think they're in a better position than the notoriously shortsighted Wall Street analysts are suggesting.

Gargoyle
    I don't know why everyone's all gloomy. This is pretty good for Palm.

As long as only certain companies end up being the buyers, then we can expect webOS to be reasonably well-supported for a while, with more resources than Palm alone could provide
    I'm still rooting for cisco. They are worth over 150 billion, and have nearly 40billion in cash. (google and apple each have less than 25). They are also loxated really close to palm, which makes things easier...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    I don't know why everyone's all gloomy. This is pretty good for Palm.
    WebOS is clearly pretty good, but Palm's marketing, and (arguably) hardware, and their range of apps and hardware are not up to scratch. Continuing the way they are risks the company running out of cash, and a forced sale at best. This would not be good!

A sale that is not (at least, not entirely) forced on Palm is more likely to result in someone buying them who can realise the potential on WebOS.

So yes, this is better than "business as usual". Probably.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...