Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    HTC would be buying for patents, methinks. That and they already have to deal with Android/Winmo.

So apparently Sony made a series of phones for Palm as well. Clie?

http://www.pdamuseum.com/sony_clie/c...ndheld%202.jpg

What if... Sony bought Palm? Sony's hardware is good (overpriced in some cases, but good...).
    With Sony, we know that they made phone hardware before and we could possibly look at...

WebOS Tablets?
    http://www.pmptoday.com/wp-content/u...ony-tablet.jpg

Can you see that running WebOS? Whoaa, I can.
    Sony already is barely keeping the Sony Ericsson partnership afloat; there's just no way.

And the Clie was a PDA, not a phone.
    I'd vote for Sony. Also HP. I'd love to see a webOS version of the HP Slate to go with an HP webOS smartphone. Even better: a dual-boot HP Slate that does Win 7 for digital ink, and webOS for media consumption and gaming.

Hmmmm....
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    would be great, but sony is in the negatives cash wise, so I don't see it happening.. Althoguh it would be amazing cause then they'd have the equivalent of itunes.. Can you imagine a touch next gen psp phone running web-os?

is it just me or is that to much aswomeness for one sentence?
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    HTC would be buying for patents, methinks. That and they already have to deal with Android/Winmo.

So apparently Sony made a series of phones for Palm as well. Clie?

What if... Sony bought Palm? Sony's hardware is good (overpriced in some cases, but good...).
    With Sony, we know that they made phone hardware before and we could possibly look at...

WebOS Tablets?

Can you see that running WebOS? Whoaa, I can.
    +1
    Totally agree, HTC relation with other OS make the deal not great. I would want Sony / HP to buy Palm. Sony buying Palm would be the perfect thing. HP has existing relationship with Microsoft so is Sony. But Sony can really fight Apple with WebOS. Think about all the games made for iPhone/Pod/Pad playing on WebOS tablets/phones made by Sony.
    The thing is, when HTC sells an android phone, and the consumer buys an app, Google gets a cut of the $$. Same thing for MS. HTC may see this as an opportunity to get a cut for itself.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    WebOS is the only platform that lets Apps made for iPhone to be ported easily. The apps are gold mine. If only Sony can make a sleek WebOsS phone, tablet !!!!.
    Sony = FAIL waiting to happen.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I actually think sony would be great, but sony is looking to become profitable as.. I think they are aiming for 2013, spending a billion + all the cost of intergrating web-os might be to much, but maybe I'm wrong.. Also, two things scare me about a sony take over. Pricey hardware, and that palms atitude is do what eves you want, as long as our partners don't get mad at us, and even then we won't really try to stop you,we will simply state that we don't support it. That's almost the apposotie of sony policy...
    I'm hoping for HTC. Android hardware isn't that much different than webOS, so that's a plus for building out the hardware platform rapidly. Secondly, carriers want choices and having more than one OS option to levreage this 4G revolution sounds like having more bases covered to me for both the carriers and ODMs.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Indeed... I can see them taking a PS3 approach "I'm sorry, you're no longer able to multitask or use mobile hotspot due to security concerns"... Here's to hoping they don't go anywhere near palm.
    Hmm, I disagree with all of you.

I really think Cisco should be the one to purchase Palm. HTC wouldn't be focused on WebOS; they also have Android/WinMo. And Sony doesn't have the money.
    I've been thinking Acer would make an awesome Palm partner. They've already been developing phones for Asia/Europe for a little while now. They really don't have allegiance to any particular OS. Palm's patents and webOS could give them a significant boost to their phone development and sales. I bet they could turn out a pretty sexy webOS phone, not to mention that tablet I've been dreaming of.
    Quote Originally Posted by ho0lee0h View Post
    Hmm, I disagree with all of you.

I really think Cisco should be the one to purchase Palm. HTC wouldn't be focused on WebOS; they also have Android/WinMo. And Sony doesn't have the money.
    If Cisco takes Palm as a new buisness play...they will surely push viedo confrencing over 4G to expand their TelePresence....I can totaly see the strategy there.
    Unless they are after patents, which I can't really see them doing.
    sony was my number one choice until i saw cisco, who i now have as a number one, though palm with sony's media and hardware backing could be epic..
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    sony was my number one choice until i saw cisco, who i now have as a number one, though palm with sony's media and hardware backing could be epic..
    same here...

company is worth over 150 billion, and have nearly 40 billion cash on hand (apple and google each have less than 25.)

(no, i'm not going to stop posting this until Cisco buys palm)
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Sony is entrenched with its 50:50 joint venture Sony Ericsson. The last thing Sony needs is another redundant electronics division. You don't want Palm to become a part of Sony Ericsson either because they have (or had) terrible execution and product planning.

In a perfect world though, WebOS (backed up by the Playstation Network) on Sony Ericsson designed hardware would be a killer package.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    hell.. put WebOS ON the PS3 and PSP! you used to be able to run linux on the ps3 anyway....