1.    #1  
    I don't really understand the "for sale" thing...like, say if HTC buys it, there will be HTC phones with WebOS? Like, no more phones ever made with the Palm name on the back of the phone? No more Palm OTA updates?
    I'm just trying to figure out how all this works.
    It is all just speculation. Nobody knows right now what prospects a possible buyout would bring.
    Basically...all the forseeable buyers out there would handle the hardware factor of a Palm phone....so yea you probably wouldnt see Palm edge on a phone anymore.

Companies would want WebOs...thats why Palm is still valuable, and of course all the old patents Palm holds. The ones that could pretty much counterattack any Apple lawsuit.

Think of it like how Sega used to be hardware and software....and now it is just a software company.
    Wrong forum for this topic. To answer your question, no one knows what the future of WebOS will be except that it will not be part of an independent company called Palm.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think it means pump and dump myself...
    Odds are they aren't outright selling right now but speaking about poss financing....

"If Palm chooses not to sell itself, it could seek to raise additional financing or license its operating system as a way to bolster the company's operations, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the process has not been made public."
    it depends on who buys it, but they will most likely keep the palm name, cause it still rings a bell for some people. Unless someone with a much better known name buys it. I'm really intereted in seeing what happens...
    No matter what happens I am happy with my Palm Pre. I just wish Someone would kill off Apple since Steve Wozniak never intended Apple to be a closed source "over controlling" company.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    The name Palm has been around too long. Anyone who knows the name when asked about smart phones will almost always have Palm in that list. There are many companies that have gone down this road and come back with a roar. The name Palm should be no problem. I only hope that the WebOS does not die. If there is still a Palm with WebOS I will continue to purchase them. If there is a phone without the name Palm and with WebOS I would also consider that. But no phone with WebOS, I don't know what I would pick. Heck it could go like HP and Compac. Maybe HTC/Palm (HP) no, Palm/HTC (PH) or Palm/Rim (PRPRPR). $lol$
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    No matter what happens I am happy with my Palm Pre. I just wish Someone would kill off Apple since Steve Wozniak never intended Apple to be a closed source "over controlling" company.
    Steve Jobs did though, and his opinion counts for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Basically...all the forseeable buyers out there would handle the hardware factor of a Palm phone....so yea you probably wouldnt see Palm edge on a phone anymore.

Companies would want WebOs...thats why Palm is still valuable, and of course all the old patents Palm holds. The ones that could pretty much counterattack any Apple lawsuit.

Think of it like how Sega used to be hardware and software....and now it is just a software company.
    I am not sure why companies would want webos. Besides it does not matter what companies want, it's the enduser who shells out the money that matters. Apparently there were not enough of those. Webos os was killed by iPhone and RIM and to some extent android. Time to face facts and look for alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Webos os was killed by iPhone and RIM.
    this is true. The iPhone took the personal-use market and RIM took the business side. As bad as I hate to say it..if the iPhone 4 multitasks like it claims to and becomes available on vzw then RIM may find itself in Palm's situation in the coming years if they don't step it up. Their latest offerings hhaven't been that great.

back on topic..as stated before, no one knows what will happen as a result of the buyout. What's left of Palm/webOS will be left up to the buyer. I would love to see webOS continue on HTC devices myself. I went with the Pre over the Droid Eris due to the webOS software. Unfortunately I sacrificed good hardware, unbeknownst to me. I still have 22 days to exchange it and with the pending sale going on and uncertainty of the future of webOS, I have a tough decision to make. I love my pre, but I don't want to be stuck with a phone from a company with no hardware/software support. HTC & Android are gonna be around a while. No one knows if our beloved Pre's os webOS will be.