View Poll Results: Should the Treo be usable as a modem?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won\'t buy a Treo before it can be used as a modem

8 10.81%
  • I would appreciate and use the feature

44 59.46%
  • I would appreciate the feature, but wouldn\'t use it at present

15 20.27%
  • I don\'t care

7 9.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wouldn't it be nice to use a Treo as a Modem for a portable computer? My three year old Siemens S35 can do that, why can't the Treo?
    With the GPRS update, HS has the chance to add this feature, but there seems to be very little demand. Or not? What do you think?
  2.    #2  
    ...maybe you could comment on if it has to be via IR or if USB is ok. Personally, I prefer a cable connection to an instable IR connection, especially if I have my laptop where it belongs - on my lap.
    Is this something a developer could offer via the HotSync cable, or does Handspring need to make changes first to make it possible?
    Imagine the battery drain on the thing if it could be used as a modem like regular phones. People keep saying that my siemens can do this and my Nokia can do that. The reality is that The Treo IS NOT a regular phone. Can your Siemens and Nokia keep track of your money so that you can sync with Quicken? Can you keep track of your workouts at the gym and upload wirelessly? I think not. We need to put things into perspective.
    Originally posted by yardie
    Imagine the battery drain on the thing if it could be used as a modem like regular phones. People keep saying that my siemens can do this and my Nokia can do that. The reality is that The Treo IS NOT a regular phone. Can your Siemens and Nokia keep track of your money so that you can sync with Quicken? Can you keep track of your workouts at the gym and upload wirelessly? I think not. We need to put things into perspective.

huh?

why would the battery drain on the phone be significantly greater than it is on a normal treo data call? does the IR i/o take up that much power? does the usb cable i/o take up that much power?

if it was via the usb cable to a laptop, phantom charging power could *in theory* be transferred from the computer to the treo.
    Ask anyone here that makes data calls on a Treo (or any Palm OS device for that matter). The data call sucks batteries like there is no tommorow!
  7.    #7  
    I really don't know where to start:

A) Even if a data call used that much battery, if it is a Treo 180 and it is connected via USB, it would be powered by the computer it is connected to, which probably has a much larger battery anyway.

B) When You connect to the internet with PalmOS programs, that would be a data call too. Or are you telling me that it is impractical to connect to the internet with a treo at all? If that was true, then why should I buy it in the first place?

C) What other PalmOS devices use a lot of battery for data calls? Up to now, data calls with my Palm IIIx have only used the battery of my Siemens phone, and no more than a voice call.

And finally, when I pay four to five times the money I would have to spend for a good phone I want it to have MORE functions, not just OTHER functions.

Or am I thinking the wrong way?
  8.    #8  
    Sorry, in my previuos post i repeated what you already said, Hyperenough:
    Originally posted by hyperenough
    if it was via the usb cable to a laptop, phantom charging power could *in theory* be transferred from the computer to the treo.
    I should read more carefully.
    But why only in therory?

And Hesspaul, I believe that all we need is a software patch on the Treo. Or does anyone know better?
    I have data cables for the Siemens S4 and the Siemens S25, I have used both a lot in the past. But long before getting the Treo I got myself a Nokia Card Phone 2. This is a PC-Card that slots into the notebook and you can use it as a data modem or as a phone with additional headset. I never used the card as a phone, but I use it almost every week while away from the office. The reason for getting the Card Phone is to be able to phone and use the data modem at the same time and because I always have to carry the cable with me because I don't like balancing the S25 and the notebook to be able to use IrDa. The Card Phone is enough for me and I won't buy the new type that supports GPRS. Now the S25 stays at home as a spare phone and I take the Treo and the Nokia Cardphone with me.
    Originally posted by yardie
    Ask anyone here that makes data calls on a Treo (or any Palm OS device for that matter). The data call sucks batteries like there is no tommorow!

what's your point? so it wouldn't use any more battery power than a regular data call. why is it illogical then to want the treo's modem to be usable by a laptop? it won't be any WORSE battery than it already is.
    Quote:
    Wouldn't it be nice to use a Treo as a Modem for a portable computer?

If you use Voicestream and subscribe to IStream, you "can" use the 270 as a modem for a PDA or Laptop.
    Originally posted by immtbiker
    Quote:
    Wouldn't it be nice to use a Treo as a Modem for a portable computer?

If you use Voicestream and subscribe to IStream, you "can" use the 270 as a modem for a PDA or Laptop.

how, exactly?

first of all, the GPRS upgrade for treo isn't even out yet (which is what iStream is - GPRS service).

even if it were out, are you claiming that that upgrade enables the use of the treo as an external wireless modem (e.g., via IR port for instance)?
    Sorry...you are correct. It won't be available till the GPRS is up, howevver...you can use it with the 270.

http://www.voicestream.com/products/...m/rateplan.asp

$19.99 per month
    5 Megabytes (MB) (about 90 web pages or 850 e-mails)
    300 Ping Pong™ text messages
    Connect your phone to your laptop or Windows® Powered Pocket PC.
    $5.00 per additional MB
    $39.99 per month
    10 Megabytes (MB) (about 180 web pages or 1,700 e-mails)
    $4.00 per additional MB
    $59.99 per month
    20 Megabytes (MB) (about 360 web pages or 3,400 e-mails)
    $4.00 per additional MB
    yardie wrote:

I don't have any talk/standby time specs (too lazy to look them up at the moment), but battery life seems to be a non-issue on CDMA phones. I recharge my Kyo 6035 twice a week, and I've read that the CDMA version of the VisorPhone has a much longer uptime than the GSM version.

The Kyo is particularly nice for laptop use: it's as simple as plugging the USB data cable into the laptop. I believe you can also use a serial cable as well.

Connecting at 14.4k is not fun, but in a pinch is extremely practical when a 2" screen doesn't cut it: e.g. posting a new or revised web page, or adding your $.02 to a VC discussion. Can't wait for 3G, or for that matter, the Treo 300.
    The Visorphone (CDMA variant) lasts for about 5 days without recharging. That includes about 6 data calls per day to check email and messages (very little voice use). It could probably go a week, but I get nervous whenever the little battery symbol indicates below the half way point.

Too bad I can't use it as a wireless modem with my laptop. Seems more like an oversight on the part of Airprime/Sprint/Handspring than a hardware limitation.

Kupe
    People have asked to be able to use the Treo as a wireless modem. Well, I can now say that you can!

My newest program, TreoModem is now available for testing at:
    <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/>

I've done brief testing and haven't linked in the ordering stuff, yet, but you should at least be able to see it work. I set mine to use Wireless Modem and IRCOMM for testing and it works fine. I still need to figure out how to be able to use "My Wireless Window" (on Cingular) with this setup so that I don't get charged $0.15/minute for data.

In my testing, I used a HandEra 330 running Mark/Space Online set to do IRCOMM and was able to send AT commands to the Treo and receive responses. If anyone wants to send me a serial cable for the Treo, I can do more testing.

If you want to try it out and discuss it, please jump on the Treo users list: <http://www.notifymail.com/mailman/listinfo/treo-users>.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Good job. I was just able to connect to my ISP via HyperTerminal running on my laptop through my Treo running TreoModem via the IR port.
    Originally posted by rfg17
    Good job. I was just able to connect to my ISP via HyperTerminal running on my laptop through my Treo running TreoModem via the IR port.
    Excellent! Now if I could only figure out how to get my iBook to talk to my Treo through the USB cable (instead of having to get a separate serial cable), I'd be in business. From a TreoModem standpoint, I'd just have to select a different port...it becomes a driver issue on the desktop.
    Originally posted by sgruby

Excellent! Now if I could only figure out how to get my iBook to talk to my Treo through the USB cable (instead of having to get a separate serial cable), I'd be in business. From a TreoModem standpoint, I'd just have to select a different port...it becomes a driver issue on the desktop.
    the iBook doesn't have an IR port?

will it work do you think with a powerbook (pbg4) via the IR port (actually the newest pbg4's don't have IR either come to think of it, but mine does)?

i'm hoping it works.
    Originally posted by hyperenough

the iBook doesn't have an IR port?

will it work do you think with a powerbook (pbg4) via the IR port (actually the newest pbg4's don't have IR either come to think of it, but mine does)?

i'm hoping it works.
    Unfortunately the iBook doesn't have an IR port. I don't see any reason that it won't work on the PBG4s, except for the latest one (as you pointed out). Kind of unfortunate for me as I'm planning on getting a new PBG4 next month.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast