View Poll Results: Should the Treo be usable as a modem?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won\'t buy a Treo before it can be used as a modem

8 10.81%
  • I would appreciate and use the feature

44 59.46%
  • I would appreciate the feature, but wouldn\'t use it at present

15 20.27%
  • I don\'t care

7 9.46%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I guess we'll all have to wait and see. Based on what I've read, I think that TreoModem will work fine with GPRS.
    As I said, it was my gut talking.
    Scott,

Just out of interest, someone did say once that this is impossible to do, the port is used by the Palm part to communicate with the wireless part and so it cannot be separated it out. It seems you've achieved the impossible. Is there any downside of this approach that you can think of?

Thanks for making my Treo much more useful now. The remaining wish now is that it is a triband rather than dual band but I think this is really impossible given that the OEM that create the wireless part (Wismo) only make the module in dual band version, either 900/1800 or 900/1900.
    Originally posted by tqt56
    Scott,

Just out of interest, someone did say once that this is impossible to do, the port is used by the Palm part to communicate with the wireless part and so it cannot be separated it out. It seems you've achieved the impossible. Is there any downside of this approach that you can think of?
    There is a potential speed issue as each byte has to get read from one port and then written to the other using the Palm processor. I'm not sure you'll notice it, but that is the only downside I can see.
    Ahhh, so you are using software to pass it thru, cool. In this case perhaps using the overclocking application might help although at 9600 I hardly think that the processor could not cope, seems slow enough.

GSM can also go to 14.4k but I am not sure if the module in the Treo is capable of that speed.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tqt56
    Ahhh, so you are using software to pass it thru, cool. In this case perhaps using the overclocking application might help although at 9600 I hardly think that the processor could not cope, seems slow enough.

GSM can also go to 14.4k but I am not sure if the module in the Treo is capable of that speed.

Thanks
    I've only seen the module connect at 9600. I would expect the software to adequately keep up even at GPRS speeds. Overclocking app may help, but probably not by much.
    For your information, when using a modem over GSM it is a simulated speed, ie. the modem do not probe and negotiate speed as in an analogue line, it was simply told to connect at 9600 or whatever speed the network wants it do to. For it to work at 14.4k the GSM operator must upgrade their node to allow it, if they have not then it will never connect at that speed.

My knowledge is limited here but I think it is something about the network will allocate several frequency slots or channel in order to let the data rip at such speed, for voice only one channel is needed.

I have checked the spec sheet of the GSM module and yes it does offer this speed (14.4k), you will now need your GSM provider to have that capability on their nodes too.
    Great, it works!
    Using a Windows 2000 Notebook and the Treo180, i just got on the internet with your help.
    1. Downloaded the IrCOMM2k Driver and installed it on the Notebook following the recomendations there for settings
    2. Downloaded WirelessModem Demo Version (formerly called TreoModem) and installed it on the Treo. Set Port 1 to IrComm at 9600bps and Port 2 to Wireless Modem at 9600bps and set enable pass thru to yes
    3. installed the IrCOMM as Modem on the Notebooks control panel
    4. Exited the HotSync Manager on the Notebook and
    5. it didn't work unless I launged Settings on the Treo went to general and switched "Empfang" off, which is the option for IR standby
    Any further questions?
    Scott,
    I am using GPRS and it is great, Ill be happy to test your treo modem software for you to see if it works with a laptop providing the laptop with access to the internet. However $65 to spend on an application that might not do it is high.
    there is a big difference between using the Treo as a modem and benefiting from its GPRS access. When using it as a modem, the PC will relate to it as an externalk device which it commands to dial and connect and once connected the PC does all of the network management ( stacks, passwords network etc ). With GPRS the treo itself is the device that is on the network, it now nees to through its USB cable provide access to that network to the laptop
    Can you use the USB Sync-Charge Cable - to connect the PC to Treo as modem? I wasn't able to track all of the posts technically - but it sounded like the primary method folks were using was IR - is that correct?

Is it possible to use the direct USB Cable?
    Bart Myers
    Originally posted by effy
    Scott,
    I am using GPRS and it is great, Ill be happy to test your treo modem software for you to see if it works with a laptop providing the laptop with access to the internet. However $65 to spend on an application that might not do it is high.
    there is a big difference between using the Treo as a modem and benefiting from its GPRS access. When using it as a modem, the PC will relate to it as an externalk device which it commands to dial and connect and once connected the PC does all of the network management ( stacks, passwords network etc ). With GPRS the treo itself is the device that is on the network, it now nees to through its USB cable provide access to that network to the laptop
    Please see the thread over on the Sprint discussions: <http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=28745>

The software price has been lowered to $35 and you can download a demo from: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>. There is also a test version up there.

Please note that there is NO support for the product; you may post to the forums or subscribe to the mailing list (details at the website).

You will only be able to use serial or IR; connecting a Windows machine via USB is not supported.

Also, for GPRS, you will have to know what strings to send as AT commands in order to do the proper setup; I don't know what they are or how to find out.
    Originally posted by bartolah
    Can you use the USB Sync-Charge Cable - to connect the PC to Treo as modem? I wasn't able to track all of the posts technically - but it sounded like the primary method folks were using was IR - is that correct?

Is it possible to use the direct USB Cable?
    For Windows users, you must use serial or IR; you cannot use USB as there are no Windows USB drivers for the Treo to make it work as a modem. Once a Windows developer steps up to the plate, then maybe it can work over USB (so far that hasn't happened).
    FYI, it seems that at least on my Mac (Ti400, OSX 10.2.2, Treo300) the Mac won't recognize the Treo as a USB modem if it's plugged in through a USB hub, but it worked fine once I plugged it in directly.

I've voted, too (for TreoTools, also). Scott, got any other crucial software that Handspring really should have included with the phone?
    Originally posted by ahmontgo
    FYI, it seems that at least on my Mac (Ti400, OSX 10.2.2, Treo300) the Mac won't recognize the Treo as a USB modem if it's plugged in through a USB hub, but it worked fine once I plugged it in directly.

I've voted, too (for TreoTools, also). Scott, got any other crucial software that Handspring really should have included with the phone?
    Odd about the hub; I suspect that the brand of the hub makes a big difference. I have a Dr. Bott T7Hub and have my Treo 300 hooked up to it (a cradle) and it works fine with WirelessModem. I've heard (and seen) cheap USB hubs that just cause odd problems; that's why I spent the money to get the Dr. Bott one when I needed it (I usually have 5-7 of the ports filled on it).

I don't have any other software up my sleeve. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out why my Vision connection doesn't go dormant (brown arrows) sometimes after I check mail.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123