View Poll Results: Should the Treo be usable as a modem?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won\'t buy a Treo before it can be used as a modem

8 10.81%
  • I would appreciate and use the feature

44 59.46%
  • I would appreciate the feature, but wouldn\'t use it at present

15 20.27%
  • I don\'t care

7 9.46%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Just for jollies, I set up a connection on my laptop running Windows XP through TreoModem on the IRcomm port. To do this, set up a modem with the Phone and Modem control panel. Use the "Select Modem from a List" option. Select the "Generic 9600 baud Modem." When created, right click on the modem Properties and turn off hardware flow control.

Then go to Network Connections, and pick the "Connect to the Internet" and "Manual Set-up" options on the wizard. Enter your ISP phone number, userid, and password.

(Note for this to work over the IR port, make sure you have an IR to COM bridge driver installed that makes your IR port accessible as a COM port.)

I was able to browse, run AIM, and all my IP apps over the modem.
    I'd like to use it, I got a winxp and wish to connect through the IRComm port.

you were talking about an irda-com bridge driver, where is it?

thank you.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    People have asked to be able to use the Treo as a wireless modem. Well, I can now say that you can!
    Cool. I will have to try it out!

I still need to figure out how to be able to use "My Wireless Window" (on Cingular) with this setup so that I don't get charged $0.15/minute for data.
    I thought "My Wireless Window" was just a website portal, nothing more. Please explain. As far as I've been told, my data access comes out of my regular minutes. Perhaps you are on an earlier plan?

Once again, thanks for TreoModem!
    Originally posted by SoCalVisor

Cool. I will have to try it out!

I thought "My Wireless Window" was just a website portal, nothing more. Please explain. As far as I've been told, my data access comes out of my regular minutes. Perhaps you are on an earlier plan?

Once again, thanks for TreoModem!
    No, I'm on a new plan. Yes your data access minutes come out of your regular minutes, but only if you access the web using your Treo. If you connect via a laptop, you have to use data connect. However, if you know the secret phone number, username, and password, you can connect your laptop using the same method that your Treo connects. I'm still trying to figure this out...I think I have the phone number, but the username/passwords I've tried are for WAP and don't let you access the outside world. I'm poking around my Treo to see if I can pull the information out of it somewhere.
    After digging into my Treo and searching message boards, I think I have found the settings that are stored in the Treo for My Wireless Window (Cingular) that I can enter in another device and use my voice minutes for data (without the correct settings, you need an ISP and pay $0.15/minute).

I'm not going to post this information at this time because Cingular might get real mad at me and cut off my service. This information, basically, eliminates the need for their Data Connect feature that runs $4.99 + $0.15/minute.

I'll just say it can be done.
    has anyone gotten TreoModem to work with a mac?

specifically mac os x?

preferably via IR with a powerbook g4?

i'm totally at a loss. tried a bunch of the different modem setting presets in the network config, nothing works though.
    Can you Hotsync while acting as a modem???

My PC has no modem and this POS Pendragon software requires a modem connection to Hotsync and upload.
    Originally posted by TreoOSX
    Can you Hotsync while acting as a modem???

My PC has no modem and this POS Pendragon software requires a modem connection to Hotsync and upload.
    Nope; when using TreoModem, it takes over both ports therefore you can't HotSync while it is in use.
    Originally posted by hyperenough

specifically mac os x?

i'm totally at a loss. tried a bunch of the different modem setting presets in the network config, nothing works though.
    Things to note:

1) Uncheck "Wait for dial tone"
    2) Make sure that IR is selected in the port (it should come up)
    3) What provider are you using?
    4) Try using Nokia Infrared
    5) Snag a copy of ZTerm and select infrared. If you can type AT <return> and get back an OK, then you're on the right track.

My iBook doesn't have IR, so I can't try it.
    Originally posted by hyperenough

specifically mac os x?

While I don't have a specific answer to your question, I can point you to instructions on using TreoModem with Mac OS X connecting with a USB cable. I've just finished a kernel extension that allows this. You can find the documentation at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/treomodemdocs/help.htm>
    Scott,

I found this website which propose a generic USB to serial driver
    http://www.mcci.com/mcci-v3/l4_usb_s...ivers.html#180

There are a lot of USB modem on the market, can you try to see if their driver is universal enough for this purpose ?

On another subject, I cannot seems to select port 1 wireless modem as it says unable to open serial port on my Treol 180. Could it be because I do not have the wireless switched on and found a network ? I live in a CDMA only area and bought the Treo only for overseas trip so cannot use the wireless now, but I would like to test it out.
    Originally posted by tqt56
    Scott,

There are a lot of USB modem on the market, can you try to see if their driver is universal enough for this purpose ?

On another subject, I cannot seems to select port 1 wireless modem as it says unable to open serial port on my Treol 180. Could it be because I do not have the wireless switched on and found a network ? I live in a CDMA only area and bought the Treo only for overseas trip so cannot use the wireless now, but I would like to test it out.
    Thanks for the reference; I'll check it out. It appeared (at least for Mac OS X), that a generic USB driver didn't work. However, I'll give it a try.

As for switching on TreoModem, yes, you are correct that a) you must turn on the wireless mode and b) you have coverage. I can only use/test TreoModem in my upstairs office as I barely get coverage in my living room.
    Originally posted by tqt56
    Scott,

Thanks for the reference; I'll check it out. It appeared (at least for Mac OS X), that a generic USB driver didn't work. However, I'll give it a try.

As for switching on TreoModem, yes, you are correct that a) you must turn on the wireless mode and b) you have coverage. I can only use/test TreoModem in my upstairs office as I barely get coverage in my living room.
    If treomodem still work after treo gprs upgraded?
    what will the speed be?
    Originally posted by asics
    If treomodem still work after treo gprs upgraded?
    what will the speed be?
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. The speed will be whatever your GPRS speed will be.
    Scott, is there a way to use the Treo's wireless modem to connect to another modem (sans TCP/IP) ?
    Got Darts?
    Originally posted by triplespear
    Scott, is there a way to use the Treo's wireless modem to connect to another modem (sans TCP/IP) ?
    Sure, start a terminal program on your laptop, connect up your Treo, type AT and send any AT command you want. I've tested it with ZTerm on a Mac and using Online from a different Palm.
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. The speed will be whatever your GPRS speed will be.

My gut tells me no. From what I can gather, GPRS isn't really a modem service at all in the sense that it doesn't involve a digital to analogue conversion. Trying to think through this, even if it did use it as a modem, the computer doesn't know it's a new-fangled connection technology and will continue talking to it as if it had a dedicated line through the phone networks. So.... at 28.8 kps, each minute you use up 28.8*60/8/1024 or .21 mb, or at $5 a megabyte, you'll be paying a dollar a minute. So even if it were possible, I think it would be a horrible way to do it. You're better off getting a card for your computer that uses the GPRS system natively. They aren't cheap, but I've heard they work very well.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

My gut tells me no. From what I can gather, GPRS isn't really a modem service at all in the sense that it doesn't involve a digital to analogue conversion. Trying to think through this, even if it did use it as a modem, the computer doesn't know it's a new-fangled connection technology and will continue talking to it as if it had a dedicated line through the phone networks. So.... at 28.8 kps, each minute you use up 28.8*60/8/1024 or .21 mb, or at $5 a megabyte, you'll be paying a dollar a minute. So even if it were possible, I think it would be a horrible way to do it. You're better off getting a card for your computer that uses the GPRS system natively. They aren't cheap, but I've heard they work very well.
    I don't know a whole lot about GPRS, but the Palm networking stack really only knows how to talk to modems, so if GPRS is going to work on the Treo itself, I think that it will need to act like a modem. Having said that, if the Treo talks to GPRS like a modem, there is no reason that I can see that TreoModem wouldn't work and let you connect via GPRS.

I'm not sure where the numbers you got come from, but I've worked with cellular packet data years ago and we used laptops to talk to the phones like they were modems...it the phone simply uses a different type of connection...the connection to the phone is still the same.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see. Based on what I've read, I think that TreoModem will work fine with GPRS.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast