Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

In my opinion, the WebOS is by far the best Mobile-OS on the market today. I am also sure that if more consumers actually understood what the WebOS is capable of doing; then they would feel the same way I do. Palm so far though, hasn't done a really good job with their marketing efforts. Mainly because they haven't tried to set themselves apart. So I think Palm should, as part of a new marketing campaign, call their WebOS devices (Tiny) Laptops. I also think Palm should from this moment on run commericals and ad's, that show a side-by-side comparison of what A Laptop can do, and how the WebOS is fully capiable of performing the very same function.

For Palm, when the company refers to their WebOS devices simply as "Mobile Devices", they are sell themselves short. And I know the iPhone, Blackberry, Android, ect; are all powerful devices, but Palm needs to try something different. So when Apple and Google are talking about PDA's or Smart-Devices; Palm Can Come back at them with the Terms Tiny Laptop.

Does anyone else think this would be a better way for Palm to market their devices?
    Because in reality, the Pre/Pixi are not just mobile devices, they are really more of a Tiny Laptop then anything else.

Last edited by the2ndflood; 04/12/2010 at 05:28 AM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

yeah, best os
    Because palm makes phones!

They don't have the money to reinvent themselves at this point. Maybe someone will buy and not a phone but will use webos for something else... A tablet or ebook reader?
    Because people don't want tiny laptops. They want tiny iPads..lol
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Really though, I think Microsoft hit the nail on the head when it announced Windows Phone 7...people don't want tiny laptops...they want phones or a communication device.
    Not too sure how well it would go over ... Remember the Foleo?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Because people don't want tiny laptops. They want tiny iPads..lol
    I was searching for netbooks on ebay over the weekend and I noticed many of the cheap devices were using ARM processors and there were a few 'mini tablets' running Android. I wondered if anyone had attempted to port webOS to any of these devices. The cheap netbooks were only 300MHz and had 2GB of flash, so they probably wouldn't be a good fit, but something with at least the Pre's specs might be ok.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What about marketing them as normal laptops for tiny people.
    nice approach
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Not too sure how well it would go over ... Remember the Foleo?
    Hah! I'm sure there's a framed poster hanging on the wall in Palm's engineering/design section that says something like that!
    Or they could call them...palmtops?

(Oh, that's right. They've already tried that idea!)

I like the "normal laptops for tiny people" - clever!
    I had never heard of the foleo so I looked it up. What the heck? That thing would have done great. Surprised they dropped the ball on that one.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What about marketing them as normal laptops for tiny people.
    That would be the Palm approach.
    Or market it to be only suitable for weird people.
    Quote Originally Posted by balkeee View Post
    I had never heard of the foleo so I looked it up. What the heck? That thing would have done great. Surprised they dropped the ball on that one.
    In essence was sort of like a netbook. Actually ahead of its time....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    In essence was sort of like a netbook. Actually ahead of its time....
    It wasn't exactly ahead of its time. Netbooks have been out for at least a decade.

You'd have to set yourself into the time period that the Foleo was announced.

It was announced to have 512mb of RAM (maybe even just 256mb!!!). It essentially did nothing but email & HTML browsing (processor couldn't handle Flash even if Flash were ported to the Foleo). That was it.

Then the ASUS 7" netbook was announced, supposedly gonna be $200 or $300... and 4gb ssd!!!

After the announcement of the ASUS, and Palm realizing that they couldn't release a device that didn't even have a gig of memory.... they just dropped it. Then the ASUS shot up to $400 or so for their 7" netbook.

I might not have those prices exactly correct, but that's essentially what happened.

Palm's #1 problem with all their devices (excluding the Pre Plus) has been memory. Every last one of them. Why skimp on the most important part of the device thru every iteration?? Simply St00pit.

EDIT: Looks even worse than I remembered. 128mb of RAM. 256mb of non-volatile memory for "storage". What a frickin' joke for $500 that Fooleo was.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    This would be an interesting tact if the Palm screens where quite a bit larger than they are. The problem is that the screens are quite a bit smaller than iPhones or Droids.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Well all smartphones are indeed miniature computing all-in-one devices, so it could work to emphasize this point better. But Palm rarely markets correctly, so..

But yes people DO want tiny computers, even if they don't see it quite that way. Look at all we demand of our smartphones. At one time you DID have to use a computer to do what phones do now. The OP is not far off the mark.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    How about micro-computers?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    They don't market them as tiny laptops because.... they're not! Let's be clear, it's a fantastic smartphone/tablet platform, but it can't do most of what normal laptops can. That seems like a terrible marketing idea to me, no offense. Furthermore, WebOS can't really DO more than any other smartphone OS, it just makes it easier and nicer to do. There's nothing you can do on WebOS that can't be done on Android or iOS (rather the opposite, due to apps), it's just that WebOS makes doing those same things more fun and intuitive.
    IMO, that is what they need to market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    How about micro-computers?
    How about brain implants with webOS??

Stubbs is right, tho.. they should've been marketing webOS... and not the Pre or Pixi, or at least not as much.
    Nice concept... Although people don't want to carry laptops around, they want a mobile device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast