Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 229
  1. #161  
    Webos at this point may be a liability, think about it

    Poorly marketed Brand,, somehwhat of a bad reputation (sluggishness, lack of apps, lack of speed, poor touch sensitivity, low developer support, tainted name)

    I cannot imagine HTC wanting to take all that on. What you may see is the WebOS name scrapped and HTC building on the foundations to make a new OS>
  2. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #162  
    I suppose it is always possible that Palm received an (unsolicited) bid. Their management team would not be doing their duty to the shareholders if they didn't entertain at this point, but they don't have to agree to anything if they aren't found to be a benefit.

    And this could all be unfounded rumours.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Webos at this point may be a liability, think about it

    Poorly marketed Brand,, somehwhat of a bad reputation (sluggishness, lack of apps, lack of speed, poor touch sensitivity, low developer support, tainted name)

    I cannot imagine HTC wanting to take all that on. What you may see is the WebOS name scrapped and HTC building on the foundations to make a new OS>
    It's not as bad as you think it is... Nothing a few good adds can't fix heck the droid was the coolest phone because asteroids were slamming down to earth.. with people looking into the craters with awe!!

    Trust me.. the OS needs a little bit more in the oven thats all...

    and a few good ads telling the "masses" that this is the best stuff on earth.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Webos at this point may be a liability, think about it

    Poorly marketed Brand,, somehwhat of a bad reputation (sluggishness, lack of apps, lack of speed, poor touch sensitivity, low developer support, tainted name)

    I cannot imagine HTC wanting to take all that on. What you may see is the WebOS name scrapped and HTC building on the foundations to make a new OS>
    I believe virtually everything you mentioned above (with the exception of apps), is related to the poor hardware Palm chose. In regards to apps, imagine when a large manufacturer puts more manpower behind development work and opens more APIs (like the MIC). The Palm community is just WAY too large to just throw away. Remember, it's the Palm community that brought the Pre out of it's grave. If no one here stepped up, Palm would have been gone in it's first rendition. Too many mistakes on their part.

    Now imagine a company with more $$ and more developers and better marketing. Apps will come and quite frankly it is mostly related to the doom and gloom stories we hear about in the news. With HTC owning webOS, more developers are inclined to jump on the wagon - who doesn't want to make more money selling apps?
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I do not know why so many are thinking that HTC will scrap webOS, if they purchase it. That would be an even dumber move than all that Palm has committed to date so far. If you have IP to a new, revolutionary OS, why ditch it? They can continue to offer Android and Windoze Mobile alongside their webOS flagship (if they choose, but likely may not). They now have all the inside workings of an OS that they can tweak to perform better than any other phone. Think Oracle and Sun, Apple and Apple OS. Hardware runs best when you have your own OS. This is why Apple succeeded for so long. Now HTC can be a direct competitor to Apple and personally, webOS on HTC hardware, to me, seems like a VERY compelling argument. I can't see why they wouldn't do this.

    Look at how fast webOS was running on the 800Mhz. Imagine now on a 1Ghz snapdragon. Why is everyone dishing this as bad news?
    This is the perspective of fans of WebOS, which has proven to be a super-duper tiny minority of prospective smartphone buyers.

    WebOS flies in the face that "hardware runs best when you have your own OS". Vanilla Android on the Droid (which has the same guts as the Pre) is faster, more responsive, and boots up quicker than WebOS.

    For whatever reason, WebOS has never been fully optimized to run on the Pre hardware (and I say this running the 800 mhz patch), and I don't know if it ever will be.

    The central premise - why ditch a new, revolutionary OS?!?! - is wrong. WebOS is now a known entity with significant baggage due to multiple execution mistakes, bad marketing, and shoddy hardware. Many of its "revolutionary" aspects have already been copied by Apple and Android, and what's left - Card view - isn't nearly enough to save it.
  6. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    #166  
    Crazy idea of the day: What if Palm isn't really looking, and this is just another free publicity thing, like piggybacking on the iPhone 3GS rollout (uh...no publicity is bad publicity) and the iTunes debacle?
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This is the perspective of fans of WebOS, which has proven to be a super-duper tiny minority of prospective smartphone buyers.

    WebOS flies in the face that "hardware runs best when you have your own OS". Vanilla Android on the Droid (which has the same guts as the Pre) is faster, more responsive, and boots up quicker than WebOS.

    For whatever reason, WebOS has never been fully optimized to run on the Pre hardware (and I say this running the 800 mhz patch), and I don't know if it ever will be.

    The central premise - why ditch a new, revolutionary OS?!?! - is wrong. WebOS is now a known entity with significant baggage due to multiple execution mistakes, bad marketing, and shoddy hardware. Many of its "revolutionary" aspects have already been copied by Apple and Android, and what's left - Card view - isn't nearly enough to save it.
    Again, you are comparing a failing company with one that has $$ and developers. Palm made far too many mistakes and much of what you said above is because of the hardware they chose and the poor marketing strategies they utilized. Too add more insult to injury, you say many of their revolutionary aspects have been copied - but yet you do not know what was coming. Don't forget patents as well. Palm owns far too many. If a large corporation such as HTC picks up all of Palm's IP, they're also liable to counter suit apple for all the infringements they violated. You have no idea where this can go.
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    It's not as bad as you think it is... Nothing a few good adds can't fix heck the droid was the coolest phone because asteroids were slamming down to earth.. with people looking into the craters with awe!!

    Trust me.. the OS needs a little bit more in the oven thats all...

    and a few good ads telling the "masses" that this is the best stuff on earth.
    HTC Launches Multi-Million Dollar Ad Campaign About ‘You’ To Become Household Name | mocoNews

    There's an example of what HTC has in mind for marketing. That may be worse than Palm's.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Crazy idea of the day: What if Palm isn't really looking, and this is just another free publicity thing, like piggybacking on the iPhone 3GS rollout (uh...no publicity is bad publicity) and the iTunes debacle?
    Agreed. Bloomberg has been wrong before. There have been several instances in the recent past where "sources" that "Doom"berg never names have given rise to very inaccurate stories. I think that we won't know for sure until either Palm denounces the rumor or announces that they've been acquired.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    HTC Launches Multi-Million Dollar Ad Campaign About ‘You’ To Become Household Name | mocoNews

    There's an example of what HTC has in mind for marketing. That may be worse than Palm's.
    You can't tell me the "Droid" commercials were horrible? they were great.. and sold a TON of phones.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    You can't tell me the "Droid" commercials were horrible? they were great.. and sold a TON of phones.
    That wasn't HTC.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I believe virtually everything you mentioned above (with the exception of apps), is related to the poor hardware Palm chose. In regards to apps, imagine when a large manufacturer puts more manpower behind development work and opens more APIs (like the MIC). The Palm community is just WAY too large to just throw away. Remember, it's the Palm community that brought the Pre out of it's grave. If no one here stepped up, Palm would have been gone in it's first rendition. Too many mistakes on their part.

    Now imagine a company with more $$ and more developers and better marketing. Apps will come and quite frankly it is mostly related to the doom and gloom stories we hear about in the news. With HTC owning webOS, more developers are inclined to jump on the wagon - who doesn't want to make more money selling apps?
    Uh, no community is "too large to throw away" if it doesn't keep up with the times, technologically speaking. Palm fell behind the curve long ago, and in case you haven't noticed, their marketshare continues to shrink with WebOS devices not making up for the deficit of former Palm users moving to other platforms.

    It takes more than marketing and money to take something that has already bombed and turn it around. Therte's a reason that movie studios significantly reduce advertising once people have already seen a movie. It's a known quantitiy then, and no matter how much you sell it to people as X, they know it to either be X, Y, or Z. It's not under your control.

    People keep saying "apps will come", but have they really? Will they since Windows Phone 7, Android, and iPhone are all targeting the same developers with much more robust development tools and environments? I doubt it.
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    what if Apple just swoops Palm out of no where to make sure HTC does not get them??
    There are laws about buying a company simply to eliminate competition.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    Again, you are comparing a failing company with one that has $$ and developers. Palm made far too many mistakes and much of what you said above is because of the hardware they chose and the poor marketing strategies they utilized. Too add more insult to injury, you say many of their revolutionary aspects have been copied - but yet you do not know what was coming. Don't forget patents as well. Palm owns far too many. If a large corporation such as HTC picks up all of Palm's IP, they're also liable to counter suit apple for all the infringements they violated. You have no idea where this can go.
    So you think HTC will sustain WebOS and make it a "flagship" offering because it comes from a company with lots of patents? Not sure what the one has to do with the other.

    HTC could buy out Palm, but WebOS - as we know it - is done once that happens.

    Money and developers would've helped WebOS in the beginning. But it would definitely be less effective now that the company AND the OS have been tarnished by bad hardware, bad development resources, and wretched marketing. That's a fatal combo.

    HTC could correct the hardware...in 6-12 months maybe. In the meantime, the bad development resources would get worse, and nothing would be done to correct the bad first impressions of the marketing.

    And during this transitional time, HTC would be working counter to their own purposes by churning out incredible Android and Windows Phone handsets. You think they want to spend $700-800 million to own a niche that they have already far surpassed? Why? To get a cut of the relatively paltry WebOS App Catalog? Because that's refilled Palm's coffers so effectively?
  15. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There are laws about buying a company simply to eliminate competition.
    They don't work. My previous employer got bought and eliminated within 4 years by a global parent company.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  16. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #176  
    I will come back at the end of the week I think. Yeesh, all these "experts" on here and Engadget about this topic is just crazy. 20% of you will have blindly picked the right answer though and I can read your bragging posts at the end of the week.
  17. #177  
    There's nothing to brag about. Whatever happens, people are going to lose jobs, which is not cool.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There are laws about buying a company simply to eliminate competition.
    Yeah, but when the target company has such a minuscule market share, you'd have a hard time making that argument.
  19. #179  
    HTC would be nice. Manufactures know that WebOS is modern, adaptable and very stable. The online network of servers and the cloud or in place and working. Contracts have been signed with several carriers. Palm is the most established name in phones like Motorola is in electronics. There should be no reason if and when someone takes over Palm that the name and WebOS do not continue. All the groundwork has been done. Now the next owner only needs to shine it up and run with it. It is what I would call a "turn key" business. Invest some money for new hardware and advertising and the customers will come.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    HTC Launches Multi-Million Dollar Ad Campaign About ‘You’ To Become Household Name | mocoNews

    There's an example of what HTC has in mind for marketing. That may be worse than Palm's.
    I disagree, i thought the HTC commericials were great for not being device specific. What Webos needed was some ads akin to the "Droid Does" campaign. Those ads moved serious units.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions