Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Oh well..you didn't need to be a rocket scientist to see this coming. Palm will be a case study down the road for MBAs as a blueprint for what not to do.

Poor execution. Poor management. Poor marketing. Lack of focus. Tried to get to scale too quickly in the effort to get dev support.

But whatever the case, webOS was a brilliant concept.
    It was. It really was. I found myself really loving the hell out of this handset this weekend, and that was before I read anything about Bloomberg. Palm just never had the resources to finish this OS and deliver developer support (SDK, PDK, APIs) in a timely fashion.

I don't see anyone wanting to pick up where Palm left off though. Trying to get to scale, draw devs, run an app store, etc. Apple, google, and MS can do this because they have the core services in place. Apple with its itunes system. Google with its services such as Navigation. MS has office, xbox live, bing, zune, etc. All the big three have multiple ways to get revenue streams pouring in. Apple's 4.0 event included yet another revenue stream..iAds.

Palm can't really compete with that. I'm not sure a new owner of Palm could either that doesn't have a core service(s) to offer like the big 3. HTC can produce good hardware, but making webOS a viable OS complete with app store, dev support may be beyond them..and they still would have no core services to center around. Possibly RIM?
    Yeah, I don't see this OS continuing. The thing is, this news - along with the financials and no real date set for the AT&T launch - is going to bring developer progress to a virtual halt. And once that momentum goes away, it will be very hard to strike up again with Windows Phone 7, iPhone, RIM and Android all gunning for their attention. The ball has begun to roll downhill at a brisk pace, and it's not really reversible. People keep comparing Palm to Apple before the iPod and iMac hit, but those were vastly different markets and Apple was and is much better at executing product launches than Palm. HTC buying Palm would NOT jumpstart WebOS development, and it would make no sense for them to pour resources trying to breathe life into a 6th place OS when they're already near the forefront of Android and will be making Windows Phone 7 devices as well.

The funny thing is...WebOS isn't that bad right now. There's a handful of name apps - Slacker, Pandora, Foursquare, Gameloft Games - that shine, and some no-name ones that aren't too bad either. One could trudge on for another year or so without any problems. But I don't see any Sprint Pre phones lasting too much longer than that without USB cracks or oreo twisting. Then the question becomes: When do I jump?

I certainly don't want to ride until the Pre has no resale value whatsoever.
    Though i don't see it happening, HTC could try to evolve. Though this could easily apply to some US phone manufacturers and i'd prefer any of them over HTC to keep webOS alive.

Imagine what would have happened to HTC if Android had not come along? They were producing Windows Mobile phones and a few for Palm. We all know MS was going down hill in that department. Palm was dying.

Does HTC want to ever get in that situation again? They are dependent on google currently. Google's interests is ads and they have many partners. MS is coming out with windows again, but that's far from being a success and if i remember right, MS is adamant there will be no skinning it or having a Sense UI. Just vanilla win 7.

Enter webOS. I'm weary about them being able to put right where Palm went wrong, but there's something to be said for having a core service to fall back on. Nothing would stop HTC from still doing android or windows. Google doesn't care..they want ads & services on as many devices as possible. MS obviously doesn't care because HTC is PAYING them a license.

But Htc wouldn't be totally dependent on what google wants to do later. If android falters. If google decides to make its own phones or stop developing android.

Plus there is something to be said for timely updates and having your own OS and hardware. HTC could blend it all together much better than having a UI over top of android.
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/12/2010 at 08:15 AM.
    *patiently waits for Ruby to chime in saying the rumours are false*
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    It's about time...honestly the Pre has been a big disappointment as much as I enjoy the multi-tasking...that's about the only thing this phone does well.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Plus there is something to be said for timely updates and having your own OS and hardware. HTC could blend it all together much better than having a UI over top of android.
    And if they had STARTED this way, I think it would make perfect sense. Palm's repeatedly botched launches have almost certainly erected an insurmountable barrier to WebOS ever succeeding in the long term.

Consider that there will remain 1-2 million "old", lesser WebOS devices out there being fire sold at Sprint and Verizon for quite some time, and being resold on eBay and CL. Does HTC really want to get on the hook for supporting those devices and solving "Too Many cards" errors?

That's also a lot of mediocre-to-bad first impressions that HTC has to erase. They'd also have to create a turbocharged SDK with full API access in a matter of months. I just don't see it.
    ugh, every post I read just makes me feel worse and worse. and I can't. stop. reading. them.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And if they had STARTED this way, I think it would make perfect sense. Palm's repeatedly botched launches have almost certainly erected an insurmountable barrier to WebOS ever succeeding in the long term.

Consider that there will remain 1-2 million "old", lesser WebOS devices out there being fire sold at Sprint and Verizon for quite some time, and being resold on eBay and CL. Does HTC really want to get on the hook for supporting those devices and solving "Too Many cards" errors?

That's also a lot of mediocre-to-bad first impressions that HTC has to erase. They'd also have to create a turbocharged SDK with full API access in a matter of months. I just don't see it.
    I don't see it happening either. A webOS/Sense UI might be interesting on top of android. Don't know if they could do it.
    I guess we will now see the true lovers of palm,like the captain of the Titanic Ship...i'm ready to go down with it. Ps. If I wanted a htc phone,i would have gotten one,if palm wanted money they could have just ask me for it. (damn)
    waiting on these results are like waiting for some aids test results..haha a bit scary( no offense to anyone with aids here )
    I don't understand why Palm would sell itself before first trying to license webOS to manufacturers?

Maybe Palm is in talks with HTC to do exactly that. There may be an agreement to license the patents as well?
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    remember people Palm still has to pull the trigger and except the offer, and believe me there will be stipulations. Remember Rub stated IF and only IF there was a intelegent offer on the table, the board would consider selling. As of right now I'm thinking since they last spoke to HTC, I believe they came to some sort of agreement for HTC to aquire Palm. Of course RUB would not sell to anyone who is only going to scrap the Web OS and just aquire Palm for its patents. Knowing this and knowing that since 08 HTC has been looking to have a OS for themselves, it only makes since HTC would talk with Palm about not only aquiring Palm for its Web OS (and prob keeping the internals to develop the Web OS which would be smart) but also of course its patents. HTC I believe will drop making phones for Android, and WM7 because they wouldnt need them anymore to sell device, they would have WEB OS. Remember like a Car sells itself no matter whats under the hood, but in this case you have a powerfull engine under the hood in web os. People buy HTC phones because they look nice, not because of the OS. Think about it if android was in a pre phone they would not sell a thing, the reason why the pre sold to people who didnt really care for the style of the phone (due more to the masses and whats in style more then the pre was a good designed phone) was because of Web OS. So rest assured Rub will try everything is his power to make sure with whatever offer comes onto the table this week it will be for keeping the WEB OS experiance alive.
    we are due for another ota update...lol comon 1.5
    I hope nokia doesn't buy palm... There would b so many ugly phones..come on htc give us a big 4.3 screen with snapdragon or evo specs!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    waiting on these results are like waiting for some aids test results..haha a bit scary( no offense to anyone with aids here )
    when i was in 7th grade i had to get a general blood test before a surgery and aids was one of them.... I haden't even been laid yet and I was nervous!!!
    The sad thing is, if HTC buys them, webOS is probably gone. HTC has put a lot behind "sense UI" so they'd likely stick with that instead. They're likely buying them for the patents.

Also, I doubt this would happen BUT, if Apple buys them, you can say goodbye to smartphone competition forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    remember people Palm still has to pull the trigger and except the offer, and believe me there will be stipulations. Remember Rub stated IF and only IF there was a intelegent offer on the table, the board would consider selling. As of right now I'm thinking since they last spoke to HTC, I believe they came to some sort of agreement for HTC to aquire Palm. Of course RUB would not sell to anyone who is only going to scrap the Web OS and just aquire Palm for its patents. Knowing this and knowing that since 08 HTC has been looking to have a OS for themselves, it only makes since HTC would talk with Palm about not only aquiring Palm for its Web OS (and prob keeping the internals to develop the Web OS which would be smart) but also of course its patents. HTC I believe will drop making phones for Android, and WM7 because they wouldnt need them anymore to sell device, they would have WEB OS. Remember like a Car sells itself no matter whats under the hood, but in this case you have a powerfull engine under the hood in web os. People buy HTC phones because they look nice, not because of the OS. Think about it if android was in a pre phone they would not sell a thing, the reason why the pre sold to people who didnt really care for the style of the phone (due more to the masses and whats in style more then the pre was a good designed phone) was because of Web OS. So rest assured Rub will try everything is his power to make sure with whatever offer comes onto the table this week it will be for keeping the WEB OS experiance alive.
    Truthfully, it doesn't matter what Rubie thinks. It's up to the shareholders. I do believe Elevation Partners has controlling stake in Palm, and if I'm correct, they'd be the ones making the real "decision."
    I do not know why so many are thinking that HTC will scrap webOS, if they purchase it. That would be an even dumber move than all that Palm has committed to date so far. If you have IP to a new, revolutionary OS, why ditch it? They can continue to offer Android and Windoze Mobile alongside their webOS flagship (if they choose, but likely may not). They now have all the inside workings of an OS that they can tweak to perform better than any other phone. Think Oracle and Sun, Apple and Apple OS. Hardware runs best when you have your own OS. This is why Apple succeeded for so long. Now HTC can be a direct competitor to Apple and personally, webOS on HTC hardware, to me, seems like a VERY compelling argument. I can't see why they wouldn't do this.

Look at how fast webOS was running on the 800Mhz. Imagine now on a 1Ghz snapdragon. Why is everyone dishing this as bad news?
    I think HTC would keep webOS and add it to some awesome phones. Not only is WebOS an incredible OS, but I would think HTC would want a slice of the app catalog profits. As of right now they don't get money from google for apps bought in the android catalog.
    HTC develops android and puts it on it's handsets.. google makes money from ads and maybe 'marketplace' for it's apps.

HTC only makes money once on the sale.. thats about it. (i'm wrong somewhere and i'm simplifying it greatly)

But if HTC picks buys Palm.. and there is a stipulation that WebOS stays it's own. HTC is buying a whole ecosystem AND they will get 'app' store and a gateway to get more money out of the MILLIONS of people who buy their handsets.

Lets just hope they put these things in the sale contract. And not F#CK it up like they did the marketing... @SSHOLES

Their marketing f ups are on par with the pontiac aztec...
    Sheesh.. not what I wanted to hear.
    I just bought my Pre yesterday. I used to be a Palm, Handspring fan years ago, then no longer had a need for such gadgets (I had a need for diapers instead.)
    Now I'm coming back to Palm, only to hear it's for sale and its future uncertain.

Sigh... Just my luck...
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast