Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Some thoughts on this:

1) The rumour is 'manufactured'; Day traders can make use of market volatility that these kind of rumours create.

2) The 'For Sale' sign is true; HTC purchases Palm to acquire the IP, flushes the rest of PALM. (this would be a likely manoeuvre if HTC's intent was to stifle the Apple lawsuit)

3) The 'For Sale' sign is true; Lenovo is purchasing Palm as a way to get into the smartphone market. Sadly this is one of the few options that would give a fair degree of certainty to WebOS remaining as a live OS.
    anyone got $500 million? Maybe we could buy palm...I mean, with all the 'advice' people were dishing out a few weeks ago, we'd all be top execs!lol

to be honest, I hope that HTC buy palm for the ideological reasons engadget printed in their 'make beautiful babies' article, but would that make the best business sense for HTC?Or would they be better going down the ditching webOS route?
    I have had my Palm Pre for less then a week after somebody at palm sent me it for free.I have to admit I would be very sad if Palm was purchased just to fight a patent case against apple.Troubling times ahead I think.
    this is all just part of the return to profitability. A few good leaks...and your stock prices rise.. Give it a whirl in your head and you will see what I an talking about
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gully666uk View Post
    I have had my Palm Pre for less then a week after somebody at palm sent me it for free.I have to admit I would be very sad if Palm was purchased just to fight a patent case against apple.Troubling times ahead I think.
    Why be sad when the alternative is going under?
    Yep. Considering how vocal they've been about not selling, I doubt this. Doesn't mean they're not covering all the bases though, and a good leak is great for stock prices...
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Why be sad when the alternative is going under?
    Well if HTC Just bought them to fight apple, then I don't see them keeping the Pre updates going or Webos alive.More then likely they will use the tech and software and incorporate it into its own android platform.As well as owning the vast array of patents that apple can't touch.
    Palm up 9 percent in PREmarket trading
  9. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gully666uk View Post
    Well if HTC Just bought them to fight apple, then I don't see them keeping the Pre updates going or Webos alive.More then likely they will use the tech and software and incorporate it into its own android platform.As well as owning the vast array of patents that apple can't touch.
    Yeah, I just can't see HTC dropping Win7 and Android to take their chances with webOS. I see it more likely becoming a bulk patents purchase type of thing. If this rumor is true, and I hope it's not, I don't see the Palm brand existing, or even webOS existing, any time in the near future.

I don't get why Ruby seemed so adamant that Palm was going to continue powering through on its own, and then see all this stuff about selling Palm. Was he just using the interview to advertise the pluses in purchasing Palm to potential buyers?
    Last edited by dpc; 04/12/2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Sadly for HTC it's one of the best options for them to buy Palm keeping Apple from suing them out of business.Taking out Palm in the Crossfire for them may be a necessary evil.But I hope they can keep this platform going in less then a week I have found myself loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizymike View Post
    really guys... Do you think that palm will let the sell go through if the buyer is just going to kill WebOS? If all palm wanted was money than they would have announced the "Pre2" so that their value whent up then announced that they are open to a buyout. More than likely before tolong we will see the "Pre2" (with the "same old" Palm logo on it) it will just be another company making money off of it, and if it's HTC, selling thierown WebOS phones aswell.

atleast... I hope so.
    I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure Palm has no choice in the matter, as it's a public company with a board of directors who have a responsibility to the shareholders to protect their investment. If the directors feel they have been given a fair offer (such as the amount of shares outstanding multiplied by the stock price, or more) they will sell to whoever will pay, rather than let the company continue to lose millions of dollars of Elevation Partners' and other shareholders' money.

As for WebOS, anything could happen. The truth is it hasn't caught on and it doesn't matter what the reasons are. I can't see a potential buyer wanting to get in the cell phone game so they could risk everything on something that spectacularly failed and cost a fortune. The patents are the only reason anyone would consider buying Palm, imo, unless another group of investors wants to step up and lose millions of dollars a month for the forseeable future.

So Palm tried their hardest and it looks like they're conceding defeat. Just be glad you weren't the one in charge of making sure the company didn't make any dumb decisions. The bright side is we'll all have far superior phones than the Pre in the near future because that's how technology goes. Win some, lose some, live another day.
    Oh well..you didn't need to be a rocket scientist to see this coming. Palm will be a case study down the road for MBAs as a blueprint for what not to do.

Poor execution. Poor management. Poor marketing. Lack of focus. Tried to get to scale too quickly in the effort to get dev support.

But whatever the case, webOS was a brilliant concept.

I think its a good move for HTC. They could use elements of webOS for its Sense UI possibly and acquire some patents.

I don't see anyone wanting to pick up where Palm left off though. Trying to get to scale, draw devs, run an app store, etc. Apple, google, and MS can do this because they have the core services in place. Apple with its itunes system. Google with its services such as Navigation. MS has office, xbox live, bing, zune, etc. All the big three have multiple ways to get revenue streams pouring in. Apple's 4.0 event included yet another revenue stream..iAds.

Palm can't really compete with that. I'm not sure a new owner of Palm could either that doesn't have a core service(s) to offer like the big 3. HTC can produce good hardware, but making webOS a viable OS complete with app store, dev support may be beyond them..and they still would have no core services to center around. Possibly RIM?
    your captain ruby of the uss pre-tanic... What else are you going to say while your boat is taking on water? Cause panic? They look u square in the eye and say it's ok... Now go buy my phone. But now it's time for the dingys. That's what CEOs do.

Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post

I don't get why Ruby seemed so adamant that Palm was going to continue powering through on its own, and then see all this stuff about selling Palm. Was he just using the interview to advertise the pluses in purchasing Palm to potential buyers?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    your captain ruby of the uss pre-tanic... What else are you going to say while your boat is taking on water? Cause panic? They look u square in the eye and say it's ok... Now go buy my phone. But now it's time for the dingys. That's what CEOs do.
    Ruby lost credibility in my eyes long ago. It wasn't even the "i've never used an iphone" stmt although that should've convinced anyone who was wondering. No, anyone who'd let those kind of blunders..the obvious ones.. happen such as the bad marketing, the itunes thing, the Pixi, etc ...just didn't instill me with any kind of faith.
    Firstly, I'm not the least surprised by the news. Secondly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple makes a sizable bid.

They have the cash laying around for it, and an Apple acquisition scenario could really give them a sizable patent advantage. Of course, that would be the death of WebOS as we know it.

HTC seems a very logical suitor in that they definitely need the patents to head Apple off at the pass.

In the end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if WebOS dies in all of this. I'd hope to be wrong.
    It's too late now, but as I've always maintained, they needed to get the GSM Unlocked version of the Pre and Pixi to India quickly (in the price range between Rs.15,000/- (Pre) and Rs. 8,000/- (Pixi)) Currently the European GSM Pre sells for Rs. 40,000/- This, in a land where the unlocked iPhone sells for less than half that (Rs. 18,000/- or 360 USD).

That would have (probably) given them the sales volume they were so desperately seeking. Nokia probably sells more than one phone every second over here.

I really wanted the Pre (and the Pixi too). It's sad.
    Game over!
    maybe john rubi lost hope after iphones announcement of os 4 and possible new iphone hardware released this summer
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    maybe john rubi lost hope after iphones announcement of os 4 and possible new iphone hardware released this summer
    Not that... But the phones announced lately and their specs and features and the underlying issues with webos and what's needed to fix it... Come on, a pdk to access gpu and silly things like no mic API?... They have issues with their os.

And just ran out of time. A ceo has to know when to pull the trigger.
    I'm kind of happy I been dreaming of an HTC webos phone forever.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    HTC buying Palm doesn't necessarily mean the end of SenseUI with webOS phones or them shifting from making phones for Android and Windows. Through buying Palm they could simply allow them to operate as a branch that develops the software while HTC builds the hardware for the phones.