Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Oh god. HTC Hardware + webOS software. Please don't kill webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Recycling my post from when the iPhone was launched, here is what it looks like at Palm headquarters today:

Ok.. that made me chuckle. I love Palm! But it would be funny to see someone edit a sign with the corporate logo into that video like they were standing in front of the corporate offices. Funny clip though
    it may come to that... but in the beginning it will take time... dont even know if they will or just rip the webos and use it on top of android... or even on top of winmo!! then they can all live in harmony right? apple worked with google with iphone and android on software all the way up until now where you see the fracturing that's occuring.

Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    So I have a question about this scenario. If HTC picked up Palm, why would Microsoft allow them to continue manufacturing phones for the Windows 7 platform when HTC owns a competing OS? Wouldn't that be like Windows asking Apple to produce Windows 7 phones? Am I totally off base here?
    While there are some people who are sharing enthusiasm at a company like HTC buying Palm, the thought makes me sad. I think that anyone who buys this beautiful OS will either throw it in the trash or *******ize it so much that the things we love will be unrecognizable.

I really love this OS and was hoping Palm had it in them to go it alone a while longer and take one more shot at making an amazing phone. I would rather Palm be working with HTC to produce hardware rather than working for them but this is the nature of business. It almost makes me want to go back to a simple flip phone where all I cared about were phone calls, texts, and taking the occasional crappy photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    While there are some people who are sharing enthusiasm at a company like HTC buying Palm, the thought makes me sad. I think that anyone who buys this beautiful OS will either throw it in the trash or *******ize it so much that the things we love will be unrecognizable.

I really love this OS and was hoping Palm had it in them to go it alone a while longer and take one more shot at making an amazing phone. I would rather Palm be working with HTC to produce hardware rather than working for them but this is the nature of business. It almost makes me want to go back to a simple flip phone where all I cared about were phone calls, texts, and taking the occasional crappy photo.
    The fact is, no one knows what any buyer will do with WebOS. I think it is really 50/50 what HTC would do with WebOS if they acquired Palm. On one hand, they may just buy Palm for the patents. On the other hand, they may want their own OS.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by arpena View Post
    This is FALSE news. Just verified with Palm.

Go Palm! Go!

Arpena
    where??? is their sometype of link you would not mind sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    So I have a question about this scenario. If HTC picked up Palm, why would Microsoft allow them to continue manufacturing phones for the Windows 7 platform when HTC owns a competing OS? Wouldn't that be like Windows asking Apple to produce Windows 7 phones? Am I totally off base here?
    Well, Microsoft wants Windows Phone 7 on as many devices as possible. Plus, they already have existing licensing agreements.

I also can't see anyone wanting to maintain WebOS. It's just financial poison to keep developing the platform when it has such minuscule marketshare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post

The fact is, no one knows what any buyer will do with WebOS. I think it is really 50/50 what HTC would do with WebOS if they acquired Palm. On one hand, they may just buy Palm for the patents. On the other hand, they may want their own OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Actually, HTC could do both. They could use the patents as a foil against Apple, while also letting Palm do its thing and continue improving webOS. Palm isn't _that_ far away from surviving and becoming profitable one day--devices on all three major US carriers, a presence in Canada, Europe, and potentially China. It's not terribly far-fetched to think that HTC could leave Palm essentially alone to continue their strategy.

And, we have no idea what might have spurred this decision, if it's true. Did Elevation Partners decide that they really aren't interested in a 10-year investment? Did a deal fall through with the manufacturer for the next Palm device? Did a carrier deal fall through?

So many possibilities. I suppose it's time to be a little patient and see how this whole thing plays out... The good thing is, we should have to wait too long to see who the buyer is.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    LMAO, yeah like he was going to give you detailed info about it. we couldn't get them to spill the beans about when 1.4 was going to come out.
    All in all, I think this is a very good thing. I don't think HTC is dumb and they read tech news. I am sure they know the strengths of WebOS and the weaknesses of Palm's hardware.

This is very disappointing...or it could be a blessing...who knows?...Personally I don't expect developers to be working to hard on WebOS apps until they have more of an idea of what is going to happen...I don't plan on spending any money on applications either till then...I feel a little shell shocked right now...I love WebOS...for now I am going to take a wait and see approach...damn...
    This is FALSE news. Just verified with Palm...
    Your basing this on a call to the help center? Sorry, but that's not 'verification'.
    10:16 PM Checking configuration...
    10:16 PM Connecting...
    10:16 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    10:16 PM Support session established with Simon.

10:16 PM Simon: Thank you for contacting Palm. My name is Simon. How can I help you today?
    10:17 PM ArPena: Is Palm going to be sold? If so, will Developer Day still happen Simon?
    10:18 PM Simon: No. That is a false news.
    10:18 PM ArPena: Thanks bro. Happy Now.
    10:19 PM Simon: Everything will run as per schedule.
    10:19 PM ArPena: Thanks!
    10:19 PM Simon: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID number 54942587. Keep this number as a record of this chat, and if you need to call our Voice Support team or contact us again for this same issue, please refer to this number.
    10:19 PM Simon: Can I help you with another issue?
    10:20 PM ArPena: No, that will be all. Thanks again. This clears my development plans for WebOS
    10:20 PM Simon: Thank you for contacting Palm and feel free to contact us for further assistance. We rely on your suggestions and feedback to help us provide the best support, so please take a few minutes to complete the customer survey that you'll receive via email. You may now close the chat window.
    10:20 PM Arnold Pena: Bye

10:20 PM Simon has ended the session.
    LOL!

I'm surprised you didn't start the chat with "A/S/L?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    All in all, I think this is a very good thing. I don't think HTC is dumb and they read tech news. I am sure they know the strengths of WebOS and the weaknesses of Palm's hardware.
    Here's the thing though -- people don't buy HTC phones because of the brand name. They buy them because they want Android on a decent piece of kit (Nexus, Hero) or because they're enamored with great hardware (Touch HD2).

With Android, HTC has a free OS that they can customize and tap into a flourishing ecosystem that comes from people actually wanting to use Android.

The sad reality is people don't want WebOS and HTC adopting it would be very much like reinventing the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    3Com once owned Palm, and never put a modem in 'em. Don't read too much into who is thinking about buying.

That said, don't you wish you'd bought stock when it was < $4 and they were going under?
    This is the second time i missed the bus. I remember looking at it in Nov of 08 at it was like 1.90 or something.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    really guys... Do you think that palm will let the sell go through if the buyer is just going to kill WebOS? If all palm wanted was money than they would have announced the "Pre2" so that their value whent up then announced that they are open to a buyout. More than likely before tolong we will see the "Pre2" (with the "same old" Palm logo on it) it will just be another company making money off of it, and if it's HTC, selling thierown WebOS phones aswell.

atleast... I hope so.
    Palm C40 plans now?
    Good time to repost this article I believe...

HTC and Palm should get hitched and make beautiful babies - Engadget
    There's this group (bloomberg) that started this rumor and another group in these, here forums adding fuel to the rumor.

Arpena
    You should tell Simon from Palm about this rogue faction. Then ask him what he's wearing.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast