Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Honestly, I really doubt it'd be HTC. If anyone, I think it'd have to be a large company with no current smartphones, something like Lenovo or HP. I just said this in another thread, but it'd take a while to get enough people and to get up to speed with Android or whatever, and so they could do a lot worse than buying Palm to quicken the process.
    HP would be the best scenario, in my opinion. They have the most to gain in webOS (not really having committed to much in the smartphone market) and would probably give it the most support. Of course, they're also huge Microsoft partners, and so they could also be biding their time until Windows Phone 7 is released.

Lenovo would be fascinating--a webOS version of the Ideapad U1 would be fascinating, and a real competitor to the iPad. Hell, I'd probably buy one in a heartbeat, especially if they figured out a way to incorporate a pen (I've been taking handwritten notes on a Tablet PC for years, and love it).

God, this is going to be a long week.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    and its only just monday
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    HP would be the best scenario, in my opinion. They have the most to gain in webOS (not really having committed to much in the smartphone market) and would probably give it the most support. Of course, they're also huge Microsoft partners, and so they could also be biding their time until Windows Phone 7 is released.

Lenovo would be fascinating--a webOS version of the Ideapad U1 would be fascinating, and a real competitor to the iPad. Hell, I'd probably buy one in a heartbeat, especially if they figured out a way to incorporate a pen (I've been taking handwritten notes on a Tablet PC for years, and love it).

HP + PALM = webOS for the iSlate - that would rock!

HTC + Palm = Best of OS and hardware for us - that would rock too!

I think this is gonna work out!
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Thats not what I ment, I ment why would they continue supporting Microsoft and Google OSes when they would have WebOs under their ownership. This is something that could really shake up the industry, because other than the driod, everyone other top tier andriod and winmo phone has been by HTC, and if they were to drop support for those platforms and only support WebOs, than things will get pretty interestring.

I still hope no sale goes through, I would miss palm.
    HTC would be crazy to stop selling Android phones and not jumping on the Windows Phone 7 bandwagon. However, that certainly wouldn't stop them from selling webOS devices. They'd have to give assurances that they'd have some serious firewalls up between the various divisions, but then again they have to have that now anyways.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Brantal View Post
    what about stock bought in palm?
    many times when a company tells you they have been bought, they tell ya the price and in the news they usually break it down and convert it to per share price for ya to understand. and when all the i's have been dotted and t's crossed, they will buy back your share at the calculated price... or convert your shares to whatever ratio to their own companies share.

a lot of times when they buy a company and the price is announced, the stock price will pretty much climb to that approximate value... i just sell at that point because it's pretty much maxed out... unless you really want converted shares of the buying company.

so if they say palm is sold at 1 billion... youre looking at $6 a share. if they sell at 1.5... around $9. i would let it rise as close as it will get to that value and cash out than to wait. cause you never know... something could happen to kill the deal and it goes back to $3.
    lol... no.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    wouldn't this put Apple in a sort of Monopoly position? Who'd be able to compete when they'd need to pay Apple for everything they do?
    I feel like this is a made for TV movie and there will be some huge plot twist mid-week. Like we are all watching HTC and Lenovo compete for Palm... then suddenly, we find Palm running away to Morocco with some new cast member that completely throws everything upside down... like some big Chinese KIRF manufacture suddenly grabbing them up and doing strange things with them. No one would see that coming! Tune in next week... unless it's a season finale.
    you watch too much tv

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I feel like this is a made for TV movie and there will be some huge plot twist mid-week. Like we are all watching HTC and Lenovo compete for Palm... then suddenly, we find Palm running away to Morocco with some new cast member that completely throws everything upside down... like some big Chinese KIRF manufacture suddenly grabbing them up and doing strange things with them. No one would see that coming! Tune in next week... unless it's a season finale.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    lololol
    i think sony would be an awesome buyer IMO. thats just me though i know it'll never happen. just because i love sony (great hardware). just what webos needs
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    lol... no.
    :-) I'm just saying...... That would suck.
    personally I don't like the design of the htc phones. They're powerful but I hate horizontal sliders and big blocky slabs (which are all of htcs phones of late). I actually love the design of the pre. It's just the right size. People say it feels cheap, i disagree I think it's just a light beautifully design phone that doesn't feel like a brick in your hand. Also the specs on the phone are pretty good as of last year . I'd just hate to see alot of big blocky ugly phones webos phones. pre2 turbo charged by htc sounds nice though . I really don't know what Lenovo would bring to the table.

I really don't know what lenveno
    Quote Originally Posted by nickam28 View Post
    i think sony would be an awesome buyer IMO. thats just me though i know it'll never happen. just because i love sony (great hardware). just what webos needs
    Sony's already having enough issues with the Sony Ericsson branch, so I'd say you're right, it's never going to happen.
    you watch too much tv
    Perhaps.. but it's late and my mind tends to loose cohesiveness.

So then... the KIRF manufacturer snatches Palm up, and hides out for a while to let things cool down... then releases WebOS on a KIRF'ed iPhone look-alike. But they end up in court.. not because of the iPhone looking baby they had, but because they were actually related when they got married. Seems the corporate owners of the KIRF company actually were Rubinstein and partners!

Ok... sorry... I'm a bit tired.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    business sense is that you still sell the other phones... with those phones they sell major volume... that's how they make money. if they did continue on with webos, it would take a little bit of time then they could reevaluate then.
    So I have a question about this scenario. If HTC picked up Palm, why would Microsoft allow them to continue manufacturing phones for the Windows 7 platform when HTC owns a competing OS? Wouldn't that be like Windows asking Apple to produce Windows 7 phones? Am I totally off base here?
    3Com once owned Palm, and never put a modem in 'em. Don't read too much into who is thinking about buying.

That said, don't you wish you'd bought stock when it was < $4 and they were going under?
    Quote Originally Posted by nickam28 View Post
    Great minds think alike. I too think Sony would be a prefect fit, of course they would have to spin off Sony Ericson. But I can just see Palm continuing the handset division (much like Ericson was pretty much left in tact running Sony Ericson), and Sony inserting WebOs into all their other devices (imagine a PSP phone running on WebOS, tablets, e-readers, mp3 players)

one can dream though.
    Recycling my post from when the iPhone was launched, here is what it looks like at Palm headquarters today:

Between the Cobalt clusterf**k and the Foleo Fiasco, the company just couldn't make it. You can only make huge blunders some many times.

WebOS is awesome, and I love it, but is destined to go the way of other great tech, like BeOS, which was, 10 years ago, better than OSX or Windows (or any other Linux variant) is today. Imagine if that had continued?

C'est la vie.
    Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    So I have a question about this scenario. If HTC picked up Palm, why would Microsoft allow them to continue manufacturing phones for the Windows 7 platform when HTC owns a competing OS? Wouldn't that be like Windows asking Apple to produce Windows 7 phones? Am I totally off base here?
    It would depend upon how HTC organized themselves after the purchase. If they kept their company set up under 'divisions' (ie: hardware vs software divisions) they could easily continue to sell their hardware services to other companies. Their own software division would simply be purchasing a service from the hardware side of the company. It's done all the time in the electronics industry.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast