Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    what if Apple just swoops Palm out of no where to make sure HTC does not get them??
    HTC makes some of the most eye appealing phones on the market. They've always been hindered with the OS on their phones. Having WebOS would be the perfect marriage for them. I hope that will be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    what if Apple just swoops Palm out of no where to make sure HTC does not get them??
    they have the cash... if it is a bidding war and for some odd reason apple wants to bid, then apple can easily overpay for palm if they want without any concern... and steve gets to kick around ruby around campus.

i believe htc has about $2 billion in cash... i think apple has about 10x that. no one could outbid apple.
    Look at it this way. Ruby wouldn't want sell out unless there was an agreement to keep WebOS alive. Or at least keep the Palm legacy alive. He said he didn't intend to sell, but of course that was just grandstanding. If he sells to HTC like everybody hopes,then they'll probably turn their focus to WebOS. You figure they need to PAY Google for the right to run their OS,whereas now they'll OWN their own OS in WebOS. It's a crazy good OS, which even iPhone fans admit. It would be utterly pointless to abandon this OS, and would even serve as a bargining chip with Google and Microsoft in the vein of 'why pay more for yours when we already have our own?'
    I would actually prefer Lenovo myself. After they bought it from IBM, the Thinkpad line was allowed to keep its identity and exist pretty much the same as before.

I don't think HTC would do the same. They've got too many other horses in the race already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Look at it this way. Ruby wouldn't want sell out unless there was an agreement to keep WebOS alive. Or at least keep the Palm legacy alive. He said he didn't intend to sell, but of course that was just grandstanding. If he sells to HTC like everybody hopes,then they'll probably turn their focus to WebOS. You figure they need to PAY Google for the right to run their OS,whereas now they'll OWN their own OS in WebOS. It's a crazy good OS, which even iPhone fans admit. It would be utterly pointless to abandon this OS, and would even serve as a bargining chip with Google and Microsoft in the vein of 'why pay more for yours when we already have our own?'
    I thought Android was free...?
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Man, I really REALLY hope that webOS doesn't get canned if the buyout becomes true.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    As long as webOS lives on I don't care who owns Palm. I would prefer it if they kept their ex-Apple engineer's on staff, though. And Ruby to some degree.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Folks, this is some real news. Apparently Bloomberg is reporting that Palm has offered itself up for sales, and that offers could come in this week. This is Bloomberg, people.

Bloomberg: Palm is up for sale -- Engadget

Apparently HTC and Lenovo are interested, and Dell has already passed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Apparently you didnt notice the other threads about this?!
    This is simply going to be a fun one to watch. The P|C guys are going to have to start thinking up new website names too. HTCentral? LenovoCentral doesn't have the right 'ring' to it.
    Romantic thought... but ruby has no say what happens to webos... he puts it up for sale and says highest bidder, then he has no say... if it were a 'merger'... then maybe.

if htc buys it... i kinda think they will just rip the top end of it... the webos gui, and stick it on an android os... like they do with sense ui.

sense ui with the sexy looking webos = sensUAL ui oh my.

webos ui with the cards... sexy... the underlying os, lets' be real... too many cards open. no direct access to gpu. cant even provide a mic api?! I think there was a design flaw. htc can fix it... but might take some more development time than they would like. but slap that baby on top of android and

Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Pssst... there are several threads already.

You might want to hit the Sear.... LOL...just kidding!
    Here is my repost from the comment section.

Definitely bittersweet. As much as I like Palm, they just couldn't do it. From a marketing standpoint alone, they blew it. This operating system is something else (in a good way), and no one else out there knows why it outperforms all of the other competitors and that equals failure. I would be happy to see some changes (better hardware!!).
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    I thought Android was free...?
    i'm no expert, mind you, but I would think HTC doesn't reap ALL the cash from the sale of a phone running Google. I probably explained my point wrong though.
    Oops. Sorry, missed it. Kind of freaked out, so I only did a cursory glance of the front page.

My brain is a little fried.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    boy, you guys really can't just read a few lines down before posting? lol
    Bigger question is if this were to happen, would HTC stop manufacturing WinPho and Andriod handsets? Would they support all three?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    boy, you guys really can't just read a few lines down before posting? lol
    yeah i agree, but sometimes when a person sees something huge like this, first reaction is to let the pre community know ASAP with out thinking about searching. its the adrenaline rush
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I don't care who buys Palm as long as the WebOs updates keep coming lol If anything at least release the source code and let the guys here really work their magic
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast