Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    I will come back at the end of the week I think. Yeesh, all these "experts" on here and Engadget about this topic is just crazy. 20% of you will have blindly picked the right answer though and I can read your bragging posts at the end of the week.
    Thanks for vetting us. Do you know what the definition of the word "forum"?
    FireFinder wrote "I would hate to see someone take WebOS and try to shove into a crappy device." Isnt that really what Palm themselves did? How much crappier are you thinking a cellphone could get? Without question, this is the worst built hardware of any cellphone I have ever owned, hands down.
    I'm sure Palm buyer want WebOS.. they will not throw away webOS. it is a big asset, why should throw it away? no logic reason.

IMO, the big question here is how software developers will act if Palm bought by HTC (asian company)? will they still support WebOS? If they don't... then WebOS will die.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Whatever happens, people are going to lose jobs, which is not cool.
    Not always true. My company was bought out about 4 years ago and all they did was hire even more people.
    can the board at least dictate that before getting bought they shoul be assured that webOS will not be thrown away.
    Quote Originally Posted by vipervin View Post
    Not always true. My company was bought out about 4 years ago and all they did was hire even more people.
    In THIS PARTICULAR CASE, do you think HTC or Lenovo or anybody would buy out Palm and keep every member of their development, marketing, and executive staff on the payroll?

Of course not.
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    can the board at least dictate that before getting bought they shoul be assured that webOS will not be thrown away.
    Why would they care? The only obligation they have is to make a profit for the shareholders. I don't think they are in a strong bargaining position at this point.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    In THIS PARTICULAR CASE, do you think HTC or Lenovo or anybody would buy out Palm and keep every member of their development, marketing, and executive staff on the payroll?

Of course not.
    We obviously won't know what HTC / Lenovo has in stores for Palm. But I could see a reduction in their management team and a hiring of even more developers and engineers. It has been done many times in the past here in the Silicon Valley.
    I seriously think we should have Precentral put out a statement that we want HTC to buy it...let HTC know what the community behind WebOS will do for them and help ease them into the sell....as long as they keep WebOS...i hate the fact there will probably be no new WebOS phone for at least another year now...WebOS updates are going to be put on hold until this process is complete, they will work on them, but pushing them won't happen...I hate Apple with a passion, and Android was always to geeky for me...although the HTC Evo is one sexy beast....farewell Palm...see you again I am sure...Evo for a year, then back on the WebOS train of greatness!
    Quote Originally Posted by vipervin View Post
    We obviously won't know what HTC / Lenovo has in stores for Palm. But I could see a reduction in their management team and a hiring of even more developers and engineers. It has been done many times in the past here in the Silicon Valley.
    And as I said, jobs would still be lost. That they're hiring more engineers and developers (which I don't think they would, but I've already articulated why) is no consolation to the guy or gal thrown back into this job market.
    There's an updated article on Reuters now, for the record:

Palm Inc (PALM.O) has hired bankers to explore several options, including a sale of the company, whose smartphones sales have suffered badly against rivals like the iPhone and Blackberry.

Palm, whose shares jumped more than 20 percent Monday, is working with Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N) and investment banker Frank Quattrone's Qatalyst Partners, according to a source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the process has not been made public.

Alternatives include the pursuit of additional capital investment or an attempt to reach a licensing agreement for its WebOS phone operating system software, the source said.
    UPDATE 3-Palm hires advisers, explores options - source | Reuters
    Quote Originally Posted by jedwardmiller View Post
    just read that too! What the hel* is going on here? WebOS better survive! I don't want to have to use an Android phone again...and I will never support Apple.
    I'm with you on that! I'll do the Android over Apple (and ANY Microsoft Mobile product) but WebOS is simply the best OS I've used.

Perhaps if HTC purchases Palm (BIG IF), they can pump the funds, keep the R&D going and turn out more options from the best OS on the planet!

To HELL with Apple!
    Two possibilities.

1. It's true.
    2. Palm's stock has hit bottom and thus has reached the end of the investment community's current pump and dump cycle. It's now time to start pumping it up again so its stock price will begin to rise allowing investors to buy cheap Palm stock and dump it again for a hefty profit during the next pump and dump cycle.

Of course not.
    Obviously not everyone would stay no matter what, but I think how many people are gone depends on who buys them and what their interest is. In my mind, there would be absolutely no reason for a company like Lenovo to buy Palm just for the patents and scrap everything, since they have nothing else to apply the patents towards. They might keep Rubenstein around in a role he's better at (lead engineer type role), and a lot of the developers and engineers. Despite the issues that webOS and the Pre has had, there's obviously a lot of talented people behind it.

HTC, on the other hand, would probably get rid of everyone.

But either way, the marketing people and a lot of the execs will probably be gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Crazy idea of the day: What if Palm isn't really looking, and this is just another free publicity thing, like piggybacking on the iPhone 3GS rollout (uh...no publicity is bad publicity) and the iTunes debacle?
    lol... this is not the type of publicity you want... you scare off potential carriers (what happens to AT&T launch now) and you scare off potential developers for your app store and you scare off buyers... who wants to buy a phone that will may not get anymore updates and still no mic API?
    you would think palm would have said something now if that's the case.

or ruby is waiting for $7 a share and then cash out before denying the rumor

Quote Originally Posted by joemvolpe View Post
    Agreed. Bloomberg has been wrong before. There have been several instances in the recent past where "sources" that "Doom"berg never names have given rise to very inaccurate stories. I think that we won't know for sure until either Palm denounces the rumor or announces that they've been acquired.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    when i was in 7th grade i had to get a general blood test before a surgery and aids was one of them.... I haden't even been laid yet and I was nervous!!!
    I had got one 4 years ago..i was nervous as h3ll..7 days anticipation..lol all I could think bout was never having sex again til the dr. Called me and said I tested negative..wooohoo, den I called up a girl fo some action!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    For those saying a purchase would be for Palm's patent portfolio...

How old are those patents? All patents do expire eventually, so it seems a fair number of those may be aging rapidly and therefore losing value.

What is the average age of a Palm patent?
    for those who say Palm webOS is going to die, this is verbatim from Reuter's announcement:

Analysts say its most valuable asset is the WebOS operating system

doubtful they're going to just trash it...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    People seem to forget that almost all of the phone manufacturers have their own OS and ten also manufacture phones with other OS' line WinMo, Android etc. Samsung just released or will release Bada, they still produce WinMo and Android phones. What is toe keep HTC from doing the same. They do have their own OS but it is very early in its life. What is to say HTC or any other company can't do the same. WebOS becomes HTC's propietary OS and they continue to produce Android and WM phones.

As for a buyout, if it is not some type of hostile takeover there are a lot of negotiations that go into it. Look at the auto manufactures, Ford for instance. They have sld off all of their premium brands. In the process though there were agreements that they would still off assistance with design and platforms for a specified amount of time. What is toe say HTC or Lenovo or Bobs Telephone company wouldnt do the same thing. When the sale is finalized, if it ever is, there can be agreements to keep webOs around for a long time to come. If it comes down to BOD only then this may not be as likely to happen but there is nothing saying it won't.

Another thing that I have read on other blogs/forums. When did Bloomberg become Palm's public relatoins company. Just because Bloomberg says they are selling doesn't really mean anything until someonoe from Palm confimrs it or has a press release stating the same.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast