View Poll Results: With all the talk of Palm buy outs, who do you think should buy Palm?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • No one, Palm will pull through and take the day!

19 25.00%
  • Nokia, for world domination

4 5.26%
  • Dell, buy their way into the smartphone market

0 0%
  • RIM, buy their way into a modern OS

9 11.84%
  • Microsoft, made more sense before Windows Phone 7

0 0%
  • Google, patents anyone?

2 2.63%
  • Nintendo, mobile gaming jump start

1 1.32%
  • HTC, free me from the chaos called Android

41 53.95%
  1.    #1  
    With all the talk of Palm buy outs, each with their pros and cons, who do you think should buy Palm?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    wheres the poll???
  3.    #3  
    It's there now.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    I had chosen RIM, just simply due to their OS is outdated, and im sure that they would not just scrap WEBOS like i feel that goggle will do. HTC would be nice, but they are a phone maker and i don't really see them having their own OS out their.
    Palm is on the rise!!! (they have nowhere to go BUT up)

But I am sure I wont be too upset if Dell or HTC invests in Palm...as long as they keep the current geniuses on-board.
    imo LG or samsung is best option. Both companies are cellphone powerhouse, but weak on smartphone market. They would keep webos alive.
  7.    #7  
    oops, I forgot to add lenovo to the list!

Lenovo - buy their way into the light OS market
    What scares me about HTC is if they want webOS or they want Palm's patent portfolio.
  9.    #9  
    All the action on the HTC front suggests that people really want a solid device. I for one would like to see a giant screen (and a decent PIM).
    i don't anyone to buy Palm a merger would be better maybe with HTC, Palm doing the software and HTC the hardware it would be incredible
    Looks like palm is for sale guys
    as long as webos survives doesnt matter
    "Who should buy Palm?"

I'd ask from who's perspective? The company or who do i personally want. I think i'd want Microsoft because they have the deepest pockets, the power to put WebOS on 20 phone in a single year because they'd license it and wouldn't worry about hardware, and the cash to market it. Not to mention the desktop software to integrate with that many people already use, And they have the power to not get pushed around by carriers either.

From a companies perspective. Well i don't think Microsoft remotely needs or should buy web OS. Rimm needs to move forward but they seem to have a specific system and i have now clue how that works with webos. I've heard it's not remotely as simple as just merging them.

In general my answer from the company perspective is none of them. They have a bunch of debt and i can't see a compelling reason why you'd buy a failing company. Berkshire Hathaway rarely buys a failing company. they buy good ones and let them keep getting better. For example, Google's in advertising. They weren't big at mobile advertising. The best online advertising company was AdMob. Google bought Admob. Google didn't go buy a struggling ad company. Where i CEO of one of these companies someone would have to make a very good argument for buying this company.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    In general my answer from the company perspective is none of them. They have a bunch of debt and i can't see a compelling reason why you'd buy a failing company. Berkshire Hathaway rarely buys a failing company. they buy good ones and let them keep getting better. For example, Google's in advertising. They weren't big at mobile advertising. The best online advertising company was AdMob. Google bought Admob. Google didn't go buy a struggling ad company. Where i CEO of one of these companies someone would have to make a very good argument for buying this company.
    Yeah, but Palm's issues are more of a financial sort, not of an IP sort. They've got a ton of great people, an OS that while not perfect has more going for it than against it, and while you could easily say they have QA/QC issues, they obviously have some talented engineers to design the phone.

If a company with a lot of money (HP, Lenovo, etc.) wants to get their start in the smartphone market, they could do a lot worse than Palm. It'd take much longer to get up to speed with Android, for example, than to just buy people who already know what they're doing with their own OS.
    I think the PreCentral members should all kick in some money and buy it. All the really smart developers are here already.
    Yes, let's buy palm up and get Palm and webos internals in the same room to perfect webos. Can you imagine, a community driven company, where everyone is invested and developing.
    We'd have a Ti clocked at 800mhz with a highly modified kernel that could beat the pants off of anything out there. Not to mention some hardware accelerated GUI goodness. I would put up 10k tmrw and join in if only we could buy this company as a community and continue developing.
    We'd make billions.
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    With all the talk of Palm buy outs, each with their pros and cons, who do you think should buy Palm?
    None of the companies are invested/ interested in seeing Palm+webOS succeeds. Each of the listed companies have either their own OS, or already committed to a particular OS (Android, WM, Symbian, Linux, etc.). The only possible outcome is to buyout Palm and put it out of its misery.

No good can come of this. BTW, I didn't vote.
    Game over!