1.    #1  
    I noticed while surfing through the Handspring site that they now say the Treo 180 and 270 have ROMs that are flashable. This is in the FAQs section of the two products. I could've sworn that before the patch (extended battery life) was released it said in the same section that it was not flash ROM. Was I imagining this? I thought that the flash ROM was only in the radio part of the Treos.
    All current Treo's have 4MB of flash ROM. HS has inidicated they might discontinue the use of flash rom once the Treo code is relatively bug free and fully feature implemented. Ducker is working on a article regarding this matter.
    Originally posted by marcus
    All current Treo's have 4MB of flash ROM. HS has inidicated they might discontinue the use of flash rom once the Treo code is relatively bug free and fully feature implemented. Ducker is working on a article regarding this matter.
    I thought that the 4MB of Flash ROM were for the phone's radio and that the OS itself is stored in Mask ROM, just like in the Visor line. OS updates like the one released for the 180 and 180g are stored on that ROM.

Is this correct, or has Handspring started to put the OS in Flash ROM? If so, would there be some way to use an application like JackFlash to write to the Treo's ROM?
    I found some references to this thread

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

BUT... unfortunately it still does not work. I installed Jack Flash on the Treo I received today to no avail.

Oh well,

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I ran FlashID v1.2 on my Treo 270. It reports AMD Flash is present, Part "4M LV" -- whatever that means!

I have FlashPro for my m515, but I'm afraid to try it on my 270.

I'll attach FlashID in case anybody else wants to give it a try -- At your own risk; Your mileage may vary; etc, etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by UniPalmer; 06/19/2002 at 09:01 AM.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Got the same chip ID.

My guess is that AMD "4M LV" means

4M == 4MB
    LV == Low Voltage Flash Memory

My guess is they use this memory for system updates & patches (like GPRS).
    What about Treo 90? Does it have flash ROM too?
    I emailed Brayder Technologies (the makers of JackFlash) and they replied that they have no immediate plans to include Treo Communicators in their support for their program.
    Any guesses on whether FlashPack would work on the 270?

Thanks.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Originally posted by BillPetro
    Any guesses on whether FlashPack would work on the 270?
    I braved up to load FlashPro Setup on my 270, and ran it. It said that it did not recognize this device as one it supports.

It would be nice if the GPRS update would be a Flash update -- or at least could be stored in RAM. I just sent off a note to HandEra encouraging them to consider updating FlashPro to support the Treo 270. More polite requests may nudge this along . . . ( http://www.handera.com/products/feedback.asp ).
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    Originally posted by UniPalmer
    I braved up to load FlashPro Setup on my 270, and ran it. It said that it did not recognize this device as one it supports.

It would be nice if the GPRS update would be a Flash update -- or at least could be stored in RAM. I just sent off a note to HandEra encouraging them to consider updating FlashPro to support the Treo 270. More polite requests may nudge this along . . . ( http://www.handera.com/products/feedback.asp ).
    Save your breath.......time , I also dispatched a request for support and here is the unedited reply I received.

"We do not plan to ever support any Handspring devices with FlashPro. Sorry."

Kit McDowall
    HandEra Director, Software Solutions
    Home Office 515-710-8584
    HandEra Office 515-252-7522 X558
    FAX 515-252-7525
    kit.mcdowall@handera.com
    2851 104th St, Des Moines, IA 50322

Translation: Not only "NO" but "HELL NO" not now, not ever!

Did I miss anything?
    Hey everyone.. I just got back from vacation but let me clue you in to what we have learned so far...

ALL Treo's so far include Flash ROM. This was to make it easier for them to fix bugs with all the phone software. There is ANOTHER Flash ROM on the GPRS radio...

The Treo 90 that I have is a pre produciton unit and has a 2 mb chip. IT IS COMPRESSED. Which means that there is no way we are going to be able to use it most likely.

The Flash ROM in the Treo 180+270 is the same Flash ROM that many users discovered in Platinum's and Prism's. I think it was abotu 6 months ago.

We are currently working with a devleoper to see if it is possible to use the Treo's flash rom. Once this is decided we will post an entire article deatailing whats up.

Handspring doesn't appear to be advertising this becuase as my theory goes, once all the bugs are out they want to take out hte flash - and save $$$!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Translation: Not only "NO" but "HELL NO" not now, not ever!
    Wow! There must be some bad blood between the two! Well, at least you got a reply!

I would think -- apparent feuding aside -- that this would be a great opportunity for them since we have zero portable back-up options for the 270 at present. It probably wouldn't take them a day to update the code. Then -- for a least some period of time -- they'd have a monopoly on portable Treo 270 backup.

It is probably true too that if Handspring ever gets most of the software bugs worked out, they'll start burning ROMs rather than Flash. Then HandEra would have to deal with all the people whining to them that they bought their product for the Treo, and it didn't work. They seem to be mostly engineering types at HandEra, and not big on the customer relations end (reminds me of the guy in the movie Office Space whose job is to take the orders from the customers and pass them to the software engineers [actually, his secretary did the legwork] -- software engineers can't deal directly with customers! "I'VE GOT PEOPLE SKILLS" he screams.)
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    This has got me thinking -- since the 16MB is the max Palm 3.5 can address, there is no chance of upgrade there -- however on the Flash ROM front, if we find out how to access that area via software that could possibly mean the Flash ROM chip could be swapped out for a higher one?

Not that I have run into space constraints, still have 11MB free here! But the more space the merrier.
    For what it's worth, FlashID 1.2 claims that my Treo 180 has a Toshiba/Unknown 009C chip. (It also crashes when I try to access its menus.)
    Any word on the ducker article?

The prisms had flash? If it did, and no one came out with software to use it, How much hope is there that someone would come out with software for the treo?

It would be nice though.

On another note. theoretically, the current treos have 24 megs of memory? 16 megs of ram. 4 megs for flash and 4 megs for the gprs ram.

And you might be able to upgrade the ram to 32. Yummy.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I hate to ruin surprises... but

We're almsot done with it. The article is two part - one is the article, but we have been working with a devloper and will hopefully (by next week? Monday?) have a full suite of software applications ready to use the Treo's Flash with. Hopefully...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Great, another sleepless weekend.

fyi, I email Brayder Tech, and they said they were looking into it but couldn't say more.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff